Filling tires easily?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I think it’s unique to Nissan products. Maybe there’s a reason other manufacturers haven‘t adopted it.
I suspect it's two-fold. First, it's clearly not a standard TPMS system. They lack the accuracy, and the timeliness. Second, there's a process to it (I only watched a few seconds of the video) - setting parking brake, turning car on but not started, etc. My take is that the majority of vehicle owners would lack the intelligence to follow the procedure, and would overfill their tires waiting for the proper feedback from the car. As you may know, you can blow up a tire with a compressor, that's why the tire stores (the good ones) put the tire in a cage to fill it up to the set pressure.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I suspect it's two-fold. First, it's clearly not a standard TPMS system. They lack the accuracy, and the timeliness. Second, there's a process to it (I only watched a few seconds of the video) - setting parking brake, turning car on but not started, etc. My take is that the majority of vehicle owners would lack the intelligence to follow the procedure, and would overfill their tires waiting for the proper feedback from the car. As you may know, you can blow up a tire with a compressor, that's why the tire stores (the good ones) put the tire in a cage to fill it up to the set pressure.
Yeah, knowing the procedure and what to look for with flashing hazard lights and horn honks doesn’t seem easier than just using a pressure gauge. It’s a solution in search of a problem.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
They use a high volume of air at high pressure to set the bead. That is the dangerous part and why the cage exist. The wedge cone is there in case the wheel splits (two piece wheels are more susceptible).

I don't think I have ever seen a tire explode by adding air from a service compressor. I suppose it can happen of course but shouldn't be terribly dangerous.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
As others have said, the TPMS id inaccurate. It is also not consistent and has a lag. I have a cheap gauge (if you can call a 1980s $50 gauge cheap) that has always tested well against several Longacre gauges, so it’s my standard. I always do a sanity check after resetting pressures with my “good” gauge. I have shop air and a tire chuck with a built-in digital gauge. I don’t trust that gauge for final readings because it does not test well, but it’s consistent. It’s never been beaten on. Even if your local gas station had gauges on their supply hoses you should not trust them since the general public will generally abuse the gauge by dropping it, letting the thing bounce around as the hose retracts, or even running it over. Please get a reasonable gauge. 😊🐩

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I think it’s unique to Nissan products. Maybe there’s a reason other manufacturers haven‘t adopted it.
Hummer EV has this feature for airing up and airing down for off roading. You set the target pressure on the center screen then it honks when you reach it. It puts the TPMS sensors in a constant read mode to do this. So you air down to go off-road, then when done set the target to air back up.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Yeah, knowing the procedure and what to look for with flashing hazard lights and horn honks doesn’t seem easier than just using a pressure gauge. It’s a solution in search of a problem.
I have a novel approach to this very serious and complicated issue:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Filling tires easily? 1670091138533

And just to be extra safe:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Filling tires easily? 1670091192626

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation