Finally got around installing the aftermarket autolift gate with foot module for CR1

Mach-Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CR1, Ford Explorer
Country flag
For those of you who have done the Autoease kit - did you use their soft close latch or stick with the stock one?

I tried the soft-close but it causes a rattle noise when going over bumps. So I put the stock one back, which eliminates the rattle, but does not close all of the way 100% of the time.

I contacted them and they said I can drill longer holes in their auto-close latch to get the gate tighter, but I want to see if anyone has a different solution

EV_Vida

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CR1
Country flag
Use soft close; not sure what the rattle is but the soft close is highly recommended imo.

kirkus02

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, Explorer, Silverado
Country flag
For those of you who have done the Autoease kit - did you use their soft close latch or stick with the stock one?

I tried the soft-close but it causes a rattle noise when going over bumps. So I put the stock one back, which eliminates the rattle, but does not close all of the way 100% of the time.

I contacted them and they said I can drill longer holes in their auto-close latch to get the gate tighter, but I want to see if anyone has a different solution
When we originally tried to install the liftgate without the soft close (for reasons) and just left the stock, I ran into an issue with the hatch a few days later where it wouldn't open. We got new hardware from the manufacturer and ended up installing the soft close hatch, no modifications to it. Haven't had any issues since. I also don't have the rattle. But I understand.

Reasons: we didn't initially install the soft close latch because we couldn't fit the motor and everything where it was supposed to go. We don't know why, but when we got the resent hardware, everything fit fine.

Hope this helps.

Tomcattjs

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Select
Country flag
I used the soft close latch, but the hatch didn’t close all the way (about 1/4” from perfect) and the latch rattled when driving. I fixed this by putting approximately 1/4” to 3/8” of washers on the backside of the latch, inside the hatch. This pushed the latch further up into the hatch and solved both issues.

Khuang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mazda 3, 2022 Mach E CA Route1
Country flag
Just attempted to install this and no bueno. It was smooth sailing until I had to route the wires through the grommet and one of my connectors disconnected. I'm not sure how you guys are doing it but hats off to you.

One of the things I've noticed is that the ground connector is attached to the same end as the fuse as opposed to the manual. I was tapping into the passenger side 30A but couldn't find a chassis ground. Ended up nut mounting it to the one above the footwell.

I couldn't get the grommet to reseal as I've disconnected the rubber from the white plastic mount,. Any tips? I want to do this before it rains here haha.

EV_Vida

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CR1
Country flag
Just attempted to install this and no bueno. It was smooth sailing until I had to route the wires through the grommet and one of my connectors disconnected. I'm not sure how you guys are doing it but hats off to you.

One of the things I've noticed is that the ground connector is attached to the same end as the fuse as opposed to the manual. I was tapping into the passenger side 30A but couldn't find a chassis ground. Ended up nut mounting it to the one above the footwell.

I couldn't get the grommet to reseal as I've disconnected the rubber from the white plastic mount,. Any tips? I want to do this before it rains here haha.
disconnect the connectors after you take a picture. Routing the wires without the connectors is much easier. Reconnect thr connector after grommet route.

Tomcattjs

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Select
Country flag
I used a fish tape and pulled the wires, with connectors, while my son and I pulled the grommet out to straighten it. Only took a few minutes per side.

jamondrag

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CR1
Country flag
Is there any link to a video or write up on installing this? I'm interested in doing this for my 2023 CR1. I've seen a video on youtube of someone who did this for their CR1, but it was only a minute long and didn't show the installation.

EV_Vida

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CR1
Country flag
We partnered with Mach E VLog to record a video. I think they are still editing the video, but it should be out in a week or two.

cdubs70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E CR1
Country flag
Are all of you that successfully installed this kit "car people" or internal electricians? Cause i'm kind of "not" but I can follow directions. Do I need to be a mechanic to do this?

kirkus02

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, Explorer, Silverado
Country flag
More patience than anything. I didn't even do mine, but watching Simon at work....he had to be very patient with fishing the wire. Lol.

EV_Vida

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CR1
Country flag
More patience than anything. I didn't even do mine, but watching Simon at work....he had to be very patient with fishing the wire. Lol.
appreciate the shout out! Once you have done 10 of these, you sort of know certain tricks. Routing the wires with the connectors is doable but not advisable. Remove them and reconnect is the key.

jamondrag

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 CR1
Country flag
We partnered with Mach E VLog to record a video. I think they are still editing the video, but it should be out in a week or two.
Was the video ever posted? Would love to get this on my CR1 soon. I'm by no means a car person at all, but I got a friend who knows a bit. Would love to have a video to show him to see if it's something he thinks he can do. Thanks!
Sponsored