Finally got the Mach E’s replacement Ioniq 5 Limited, Hits and Misses. Both great EVs.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
First and foremost, both are pretty well equal EVs. I cannot say one is superior to the other. They are both comparable. Comparing 21 Premium ER to 22 Ioniq 5 Limited. You cannot go wrong with either.

My Limited was picked up on Thursday evening. Broke out the Grill at work Friday With V2L. That’s a super nice feature, here are a few things I have learned in 600 miles of Hyundai driving.

1. 3.4 Mi/KWH highway, 72 MPH Cruise Control with the heat on. Upper 40’s outside Temp Over 60 miles.
2. The highway lane keep works pretty well. You have to touch the wheel about the same amount as blue cruise. To do a lane change you must have a hand on wheel. Overall all comparable to the Mach E. Zero ”eyes on the road warnings” in 300 miles of HDA driving was a blessing, Hyundai does not watch your eyes. Basically the Hyundai says put hands on wheel when it sees a substantial “curve” just like BC. On a straight away, I did no hand touch for several miles. Both highway and non highway.
3. Auto speed sign cruise control speed adjust requires you to bump the cruise button up or down once to change if the speed sign sees higher or lower .it prompts you but It’s not automatic like the Mach E. I liked the automatic Changes.
4. 14%-80% at EA was 21 minutes. Max of 195 kWh.
5. Getting used to the icons on the smaller screen will take some time. You do not realize the real simplicity of the Mach E screen until you have something else. The Mach E screen and interface is superior (even though so many complain). The Mach E has 3 times more customizable settings too and it’s actually good, they are buried, you can change the Hyundai while driving with HDA active. There are no “are you the passenger“ messages on the Hyundai.
6. The Ioniq 5‘s trip meter resets after every start. No way to easily track Mi/kWh without logging odometer.
7. Cooled seats are great. Seat comfort is very nice.
8. Rear seat comfort is superior. The rear back recline and leg room is greater than the Mach E.
9. The Mach E interior “wraps“ around you Even though you do not notice. The steering wheel is fat and substantial. . You feel like you are in a fighter jet. The Ioniq 5 is like driving a luxury small SUV.
10. I know folks complain about the Mach E leds that light up the console. The Ioniq 5 does not have any. Try finding the cup holder at night. I miss the leds.
11. you get the same amount of wind noise with the glass roof. Slight. But you have a powered shade you can close to silence it in the Ioniq 5.
12. The “calf rest” on the Ioniq 5’s drivers seat works great if you use the auto recline feature.
13. It is faster 0-60 than the Premium ER AWD Mustang. My first interstate on ramp was a thrill. But it is more “squirrely”. The Mach E, floored, seemed a bit more controlled. My guess is weight plays a big part.
14. the 360 camera is comparable but has more functions in the Hyundai. You can scroll around the car from the exterior with your finger, On the screen.
15. Ride. Comparable on smoother roads with minor imperfections with one big exception. The bounce or ”bucking” you get with the Mach E and especially the 19” wheels is eliminated. The 18’s on the Mach E improve but do not eliminate this.
16. PAAK. I bought an Android phone just to test the Hyundai PAAK. It does not support Apple yet. It does not rely on a constantly updated app like Fordpass. So far 100% reliable with all functions. You must hold your phone at the door handle for 2-3 seconds to unlock. You also get a credit card to use if your phone dies (to keep in wallet).
17. Mach E audio has more adjustment and more bass over the hyundai Bose System. Hyundai likes hi bit rate music to really shine.
18. Hyundai voice control works well. For example at EA I said “open charge door” and it opened. The Hyundai also has an external speaker that “tells” you if you are charging after plugging in.
19. only one USB Input on the Hyundai. Mach E has two. USBA and USBC. Also, my A is taken by my wireless CarPlay adapter, which works very well but a big miss for Hyundai. With my MMB I will be constantly switching USB connections. I never touched them in the Mach E. But it does have 4 additional USBA charging points And wireless phone charging. It’s also a super long reach to USB input port. So long for my “USB” music Drive. With only 1 input, Carplay takes it over. Integrated wireless carplay is a very nice feature.
20. Apple Maps does not support EV integration on the Hyundai. It also does not have the extended view which is super nice in Mach E.
21. Hyundai has 3 drive modes.Eco, Normal and Sport. Eco is slow but efficient. 335 miles on a charge. Mach W best was 310. Full limit on acceleration like to 50% power. Can Dangerous pulling into traffic or passing. I will use it a lot on the highway.
22. Minor but using XM, you can scroll though the channels super fast while driving in a list format. That is a plus.
23. Hyundai heads up display shows your radio selection and NAV prompts. I wish Ford had one.
24. No emblems to clean gently around.
25. No sills to scuff as floor is flat.
26. Hyundai wipers park below the hood. I do not know how I will change them yet. You cannot pop them up like Mach E.
27. Hyundai comes with rear seat back protectors.
28. Hyundai only comes with 110v charger But it will charge off my Ford connected charge Station.
29. Hyundai has 3 programmable buttons. one on the wheel, one on the dash and the volume knob. Kind of cool. You decide what they should do for a task from a predetermined list. For example the volume knob can be programmed to seek change stations and change inputs (XM, AM FM) instead of off on volume control, the steering wheel can shortcut to NAV, radio, bluelink etc.

Similarities that work the same. hands free lift gate, (but no foot needed) you stand at the rear for 2-3 seconds with fob in Pocket, easy entry and exit along with auto seat adjustment works well, Profiles works similarly, front seat room is similar, manual interior door latches are good on both, heat is instant like Mach E, charge connection and start time with EA is the same, auto high beams work identically, similar ambient lighting, same great interior electric motor noises letting you know you are in an EV.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Finally got the Mach E’s replacement Ioniq 5 Limited, Hits and Misses. Both great EVs. 01FD128F-6CB7-4B49-A47E-E0A7E348DE59

Ford Mustang Mach-E Finally got the Mach E’s replacement Ioniq 5 Limited, Hits and Misses. Both great EVs. C2E239F1-90B8-49A0-AA9F-1347BD6822D1

Ford Mustang Mach-E Finally got the Mach E’s replacement Ioniq 5 Limited, Hits and Misses. Both great EVs. D414F0B5-4727-4FA5-B79E-7D9A2B790712

Ford Mustang Mach-E Finally got the Mach E’s replacement Ioniq 5 Limited, Hits and Misses. Both great EVs. BB37B713-D76B-4247-99B1-3F53FA002302

Ford Mustang Mach-E Finally got the Mach E’s replacement Ioniq 5 Limited, Hits and Misses. Both great EVs. 90A8A39E-2ABB-4F3C-AF0E-9206D21BDA90

Last edited:

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Super report. All the Kia and Hyundai and Genesis products I have owned have been terrific. Looking forward to getting into an electric soon.

Jes sayin. It’s time to turn those weiners

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Nice report. FYI if your charge is below 10% I think it will hit around 210 - 225kw charge rate up to about 12% i do believe then it will start to trickle down to the 190 range for a bit. But still that is the one thing I like about the Korean cars is the charging speeds. You will charge your car in half the time with them. I wish most companies would make it so their cars can do over 200kw charging speed for a bit before trickling down.

All the vehicles out right now most are pretty slow on charging speeds.

All needed to do was look in the manual lol. I mean it is digital now no paper booklet

Edit for the Wipers part here you go:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Finally got the Mach E’s replacement Ioniq 5 Limited, Hits and Misses. Both great EVs. 1664725970576

Last edited:

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
Congrats and great choice!

I am on the opposite journey as you, having traded in my Ioniq 5 for the MME. Also like you, I find them very comparable and would be happy with either.

You will find lots of other great perks on that car, such as the ability to set universal charging limits (instead of location based), AC charging rate, brake regen settings via paddles, and IMO, different charging cable locking options. It's really a great ride.

A moderate right foot will net basically identical efficiency in Normal drive mode compared with Eco, as the front motor is disengaged under lite acceleration and coasting. However, using i-Pedal supposedly will engage the front motor more often and compromise some of the efficiency gains.

6. The Ioniq 5‘s trip meter resets after every start. No way to easily track Mi/kWh without logging odometer.

26. Hyundai wipers park below the hood. I do not know how I will change them yet. You cannot pop them up like Mach E.
The efficiency display can be toggled between "current drive," "since recharge," and "extended" which retains everything until manually reset.

Regarding the wipers, like many cars that recess the wipers below the hood line, there is a service position. To use the service position on Hyundai/Kia vehicles, simply turn the car on, wait a sec, turn it off, and immediately hold the wiper stalk in the "single wipe" position, which if I recall correctly is up.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The people who complain about FordPass PaaK needing more than one button press at the door will complain about the Hyundai needing to have the phone held at the door handle for 2-3 seconds. 😱🐩

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Great review and very fair. I wouldn't own a Hyundai or Kia ICE vehicle, but they have nailed their EVs it seems. Except no wireless CarPlay? This is the first I heard that, that sucks. I do wish the MME had cooled/active ventilated seats though, it's such a weird omission from a company that puts them in nearly every other vehicle.

The charge rate on DCFC is the real killer feature. Ford dropped the ball so much on this. The MME and Lightning should be as close to 200kW as possible at least and hold it fairly well. I know curve means more than peak, but the MachE isn't amazing on either and it's the only real drawback I have seen with our MME.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Great review and very fair. I wouldn't own a Hyundai or Kia ICE vehicle, but they have nailed their EVs it seems. Except no wireless CarPlay? This is the first I heard that, that sucks. I do wish the MME had cooled/active ventilated seats though, it's such a weird omission from a company that puts them in nearly every other vehicle.

The charge rate on DCFC is the real killer feature. Ford dropped the ball so much on this. The MME and Lightning should be as close to 200kW as possible at least and hold it fairly well. I know curve means more than peak, but the MachE isn't amazing on either and it's the only real drawback I have seen with our MME.
Not sure why wireless CarPlay has been so limited on other manufacturers, it’s basically Ford and BMW taking advantage of it

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Here is the 360 approaching a curb......

IMG_20221002_113614_HDR.jpg

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
Not sure why wireless CarPlay has been so limited on other manufacturers, it’s basically Ford and BMW taking advantage of it
It sucks, both my previous X3 and my current MME have it, and I try to use the wire as much as possible. Audio lag, battery and phone overheating, you lose battery even on the wireless charger, takes a while to connect, switching phones/drivers means diving through deep menus and repairing Bluetooth, loss of Wi-Fi connection while parked, and many more drawbacks.

My only complaint with the wire (and its a big one), is that on the MME there’s so much audio clipping whenever the screen refreshes in any major way. When I make a turn with maps pulled up it seems like the system can’t handle the audio streaming data at the same time that a visual update is occurring.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
It sucks, both my previous X3 and my current MME have it, and I try to use the wire as much as possible. Audio lag, battery and phone overheating, you lose battery even on the wireless charger, takes a while to connect, switching phones/drivers means diving through deep menus and repairing Bluetooth, loss of Wi-Fi connection while parked, and many more drawbacks.

My only complaint with the wire (and its a big one), is that on the MME there’s so much audio clipping whenever the screen refreshes in any major way. When I make a turn with maps pulled up it seems like the system can’t handle the audio streaming data at the same time that a visual update is occurring.
I don’t experience any of this, weird

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Wireless Carplay/Android auto is really not much of an issue nowadays. Dongles range from $50 on up. I have this one in our EV6 and it works flawlessly:

Wireless AA/CP dongle
The obvious question though is that why in 2022 cars costing $60K need a dongle at all.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
First and foremost, both are pretty well equal EVs. I cannot say one is superior to the other. They are both comparable. Comparing 21 Premium ER to 22 Ioniq 5 Limited. You cannot go wrong with either.

My Limited was picked up on Thursday evening. Broke out the Grill at work Friday With V2L. That’s a super nice feature, here are a few things I have learned in 600 miles of Hyundai driving.

1. 3.4 Mi/KWH highway, 72 MPH Cruise Control with the heat on. Upper 40’s outside Temp Over 60 miles.
2. The highway lane keep works pretty well. You have to touch the wheel about the same amount as blue cruise. To do a lane change you must have a hand on wheel. Overall all comparable to the Mach E. Zero ”eyes on the road warnings” in 300 miles of HDA driving was a blessing, Hyundai does not watch your eyes. Basically the Hyundai says put hands on wheel when it sees a substantial “curve” just like BC. On a straight away, I did no hand touch for several miles. Both highway and non highway.
3. Auto speed sign cruise control speed adjust requires you to bump the cruise button up or down once to change if the speed sign sees higher or lower .it prompts you but It’s not automatic like the Mach E. I liked the automatic Changes.
4. 14%-80% at EA was 21 minutes. Max of 195 kWh.
5. Getting used to the icons on the smaller screen will take some time. You do not realize the real simplicity of the Mach E screen until you have something else. The Mach E screen and interface is superior (even though so many complain). The Mach E has 3 times more customizable settings too and it’s actually good, they are buried, you can change the Hyundai while driving with HDA active. There are no “are you the passenger“ messages on the Hyundai.
7. Cooled seats are great. Seat comfort is very nice.
8. Rear seat comfort is superior. The rear back recline and leg room is greater than the Mach E.
9. The Mach E interior “wraps“ around you Even though you do not notice. The steering wheel is fat and substantial. . You feel like you are in a fighter jet. The Ioniq 5 is like driving a luxury small SUV.
10. I know folks complain about the Mach E leds that light up the console. The Ioniq 5 does not have any. Try finding the cup holder at night. I miss the leds.
11. you get the same amount of wind noise with the glass roof. Slight. But you have a powered shade you can close to silence it in the Ioniq 5.
12. The “calf rest” on the Ioniq 5’s drivers seat is useless if you are over 5’5”.
13. It is faster 0-60 than the Premium ER AWD Mustang. My first interstate on ramp was a thrill. But it is more “squirrely”. The Mach E, floored, seemed a bit more controlled. My guess is weight plays a big part.
14. the 360 camera is comparable but has more functions in the Hyundai. You can scroll around the car from the exterior with your finger, On the screen.
15. Ride. Comparable on smoother roads with minor imperfections with one big exception. The bounce or ”bucking” you get with the Mach E and especially the 19” wheels is eliminated. The 18’s on the Mach E improve but do not eliminate this.
16. PAAK. I bought an Android phone just to test the Hyundai PAAK. It does not support Apple yet. It does not rely on a constantly updated app like Fordpass. So far 100% reliable with all functions. You must hold your phone at the door handle for 2-3 seconds to unlock. You also get a credit card to use if your phone dies (to keep in wallet).
17. Mach E audio has more adjustment and more bass over the hyundai Bose System. I do not even know if the hyundai subwoofer works As the thumping is lacking.
18. Hyundai voice control works well. For example at EA I said “open charge door” and it opened. The Hyundai also has an external speaker that “tells” you if you are charging after plugging in.
19. only one USB Input on the Hyundai. Mach E has two. USBA and USBC. Also, my A is taken by my wireless CarPlay adapter, which works very well but a big miss for Hyundai. With my MMB I will be constantly switching USB connections. I never touched them in the Mach E. But it does have 4 additional USBA charging points And wireless phone charging. It’s also a super long reach to USB input port. So long for my “USB” music Drive. With only 1 input, Carplay takes it over. Integrated wireless carplay is a very nice feature.
20. Apple Maps does not support EV integration on the Hyundai. It also does not have the extended view which is super nice in Mach E.
21. Hyundai has 3 drive modes.Eco, Normal and Sport. Eco is terrible. Full limit on acceleration like to 20% power. Dangerous in traffic or passing. I will use it ONLY on the highway. Not safe anywhere else.
22. Minor but using XM, you can scroll though the channels super fast while driving in a list format. That is a plus.
23. Hyundai heads up display shows your radio selection and NAV prompts. I wish Ford had one.
24. No emblems to clean gently around.
25. No sills to scuff as floor is flat.
27. Hyundai comes with rear seat back protectors.
28. Hyundai only comes with 110v charger But it will charge off my Ford connected charge Station.
29. Hyundai has 3 programmable buttons. one on the wheel, one on the dash and the volume knob. Kind of cool. You decide what they should do for a task from a predetermined list. For example the volume knob can be programmed to seek change stations and change inputs (XM, AM FM) instead of off on volume control, the steering wheel can shortcut to NAV, radio, bluelink etc.

Similarities that work the same. hands free lift gate, (but no foot needed) you stand at the rear for 2-3 seconds with fob in Pocket, easy entry and exit along with auto seat adjustment works well, Profiles works similarly, front seat room is similar, manual interior door latches are good on both, heat is instant like Mach E, charge connection and start time with EA is the same, auto high beams work identically, similar ambient lighting, same great interior electric motor noises letting you know you are in an EV.

01FD128F-6CB7-4B49-A47E-E0A7E348DE59.jpeg

C2E239F1-90B8-49A0-AA9F-1347BD6822D1.jpeg

D414F0B5-4727-4FA5-B79E-7D9A2B790712.jpeg

BB37B713-D76B-4247-99B1-3F53FA002302.jpeg

90A8A39E-2ABB-4F3C-AF0E-9206D21BDA90.jpeg
Agree with ride quality and charge speed. Charging speed is only limited by the charger. It will charge at 230kw 10 to 80% with the right charger.

You can use the up down switch on the steering wheel to scroll through mi/kwh for current trip, after last charge, and lifetime.

One of the best feature I think is that lane centering is not limited to blue cruise roads. You can use on any street with lane markings. I use it pretty much all the time in the city.

Try Auto Regen if you are not a one pedal driver. It will let you coast and automatically slow down when you come up to an obstacle. It's good for efficiency and also a good safety feature.

Last edited:

satchel prefect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crusty old PHEV
Country flag
The obvious question though is that why in 2022 cars costing $60K need a dongle at all.
The degree of need for the dongle is commensurate with the need of the driver to connect wirelessly. For many folks, neither are a huge deal. I spent more on car wash towels this year than I did on that dongle, and the wife is happy with it.

If anything, I'm more disappointed that Hyundai didn't include cornering lights, seat/mirror memory and tilt down mirrors on the mid level SEL. None of those can be addressed with an $80 device that is up and running in less than 2 minutes.

Also glad they are not charging subscription fees for Carplay or 360 camera.
Sponsored