Finally got the Mach E’s replacement Ioniq 5 Limited, Hits and Misses. Both great EVs.

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
I don’t experience any of this, weird
Respectfully, all those issues with Wireless Carplay are there, you may not have noticed them. They're pretty well documented in the BMW community as well. Feel free to check them out one by one.

Unless you're saying you don't see the issues with Wired Carplay, in which case that's very interesting and good to know.
Sponsored

jbooth

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Nice to see a comparison. We've been seriously considering swapping the MME for a I5 Limited due to all the issues we've had with our local ford dealer. Black is probably my top pick on the I5 -- looks sharp, I saw one in town on the roads here.

But finding the Limited trim where we are is next to impossible. Every now and then one shows up in WI but that's too far a haul.

Can you comment at all on the sliding center console? We test drove a SE or SEL and weren't super fond of where the center armrest sat. I'm wondering if, slid all the way back, it is essentially out of the way. If so, is the middle seat in the back just useless in that state?

Bigfeets

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MMe premium order. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Lrd
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Very interesting thread, thanks. I ordered an MME last December to replace my 17-yr-old sports car. As the delivery ETA drifted farther away, I wait-listed for available alternatives. Waiting and markups were all the game. Fate gave me a Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ltd. (Trade-in markup offset dealer markup.) I have really enjoyed the Hi5 performance and cockpit comfort. It also has many features that I never knew I would enjoy so much. 10 months after ordering, I still don't have the MME, although it's due this month. I've decided to keep the Hi5, buy the MME and gift the MME to a loved one whenever. I'll file for a 2nd 2022 Fed tax credit. During the extended wait for the MME delivery, I did lose out on two California EV incentives. I was going to upgrade my garage to a 50amp circuit for the MME EVSE, but instead used an existing 30amp dryer circuit with a 24amp 3rd party EVSE for the Hi5 occasional home charge. (That is, no electrician cost weighed against the additional EVSE. Also, Hi5 comes with 2 years free EA charging sessions, so I usually do 20-25 min fast charges at nearby EA station.) Sadly, I feel I'm going to miss out on the MME puddle light, but maybe I can get an occasional ride from the gift recipient.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Finally got the Mach E’s replacement Ioniq 5 Limited, Hits and Misses. Both great EVs. 1664760271929

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Respectfully, all those issues with Wireless Carplay are there, you may not have noticed them. They're pretty well documented in the BMW community as well. Feel free to check them out one by one.

Unless you're saying you don't see the issues with Wired Carplay, in which case that's very interesting and good to know.
I honestly don’t have those issues, sorry, I would definitely notice them, I use wireless CarPlay exclusively and have used CarPlay since it launched in multiple vehicles wired.

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
I honestly don’t have those issues, sorry, I would definitely notice them, I use wireless CarPlay exclusively and have used CarPlay since it launched in multiple vehicles wired.
The only issue I have that he mentioned is that wireless charging isn’t super effective in the Mach E. None of the other issues like sound clipping.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The only issue I have that he mentioned is that wireless charging isn’t super effective in the Mach E. None of the other issues like sound clipping.
Yeah that’s true, doesn’t really charge the larger phones, I plug in to charge on longer trips but the battery on the 14 Pro Max is really good

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah that’s true, doesn’t really charge the larger phones, I plug in to charge on longer trips but the battery on the 14 Pro Max is really good
Wait, maybe I was unclear. There’s no sound clipping on wireless CarPlay. The issues I mentioned for wireless include not being able to hold a charge, overheating, lag when unpausing/seeking, switching profiles, and disabling other Wifi connections, anyway, not really worth arguing over we can move on.

BUT, I am genuinely very interested to know if you don’t get sound clipping on *wired* CarPlay. Can you confirm that there’s no audio interruption when using *wired* CarPlay (iPhone 13 pro in my case with apple USB-C cable). Because if not then I just might take it to the dealer, it drives me bonkers.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wait, maybe I was unclear. There’s no sound clipping on wireless CarPlay. The issues I mentioned for wireless include not being able to hold a charge, overheating, lag when unpausing/seeking, switching profiles, and disabling other Wifi connections, anyway, not really worth arguing over we can move on.

BUT, I am genuinely very interested to know if you don’t get sound clipping on *wired* CarPlay. Can you confirm that there’s no audio interruption when using *wired* CarPlay (iPhone 13 pro in my case with apple USB-C cable). Because if not then I just might take it to the dealer, it drives me bonkers.
Not that I have noticed. Have you seen if it does it on other cars? I’d rule out anything with the phone or iOS, that issue is something I’d never leave with a dealer to figure it out. So many variables and also they just aren’t good at stuff like that. They would probably just do a master reset and say they couldn’t reproduce.

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag

No issues at all with wired CarPlay. I’d suggest trying a different cable before taking it in. An actual Apple cable if you can. Cheap cables are known to cause CarPlay issues. In another vehicle I have, non-Apple cables give very wonky CarPlay results, like the GPS just starting to spin or appear to drive straight off roads.

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not that I have noticed. Have you seen if it does it on other cars? I’d rule out anything with the phone or iOS, that issue is something I’d never leave with a dealer to figure it out. So many variables and also they just aren’t good at stuff like that. They would probably just do a master reset and say they couldn’t reproduce.
Thanks both you and @NewGuy for the responses. Sync is updated (car is also 2022), my iOS is updated, it's a recent-gen phone, and I'm using an official Apple USB-C cable (although this one came with the Magic Keyboard because it's braided and constructed much better than the iPhone provided one). I've tried an official USB-A cable with similar results, but next step is to try the iPhone provided USB-C to lightning, maybe those can carry more data. I agree the dealer will not be very useful. My only theory is maybe since the expanded Carplay view is available on so few vehicles that Apple and Ford didn't really bother to test out all possible configurations.

Unfortunately the only other car I can test is a BMW which *only* has wireless Carplay (they know I like to use the wire and so dropped it from all their vehicles just to frustrate me).

EV_Vida

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CR1
Country flag
Both cars are great imo. I’m bias since we own both. I’m not going to repeat the OP first posts and instead will simply add that I prefer to travel in I5, in fact we just did from San Diego to Las Vegas. The car is simply roomier and for that reason (if all thing are equal) I would take that car for longer trips. However, the MME style is so damn sexy!

Caulk-E

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium ER RWD
Country flag
Very accurate write up. Having own both, there are definitely things I wish that were different with the Mach-E. But the three things that I really don’t like about the Ioniq 5 is:

1. the near useless frunk. There are a lot of car break-ins in midday where I live. I almost exclusively only use the frunk.
2. the lack of a rear windshield wiper
3. The absolutely HORRIBLE dealership network. People think Ford dealerships are bad, Hyundai dealerships are the absolute worst (from my experience in CA). I can at least find a few Ford dealerships that will sell at MSRP for cancelled orders. It was challenging to find a Hyundai dealership that will let me even order an Ioniq 5. And the ones that will take my order, all charge an ADM…even for an ordered vehicle.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
First and foremost, both are pretty well equal EVs. I cannot say one is superior to the other. They are both comparable. Comparing 21 Premium ER to 22 Ioniq 5 Limited. You cannot go wrong with either.

My Limited was picked up on Thursday evening. Broke out the Grill at work Friday With V2L. That’s a super nice feature, here are a few things I have learned in 600 miles of Hyundai driving.

1. 3.4 Mi/KWH highway, 72 MPH Cruise Control with the heat on. Upper 40’s outside Temp Over 60 miles.
2. The highway lane keep works pretty well. You have to touch the wheel about the same amount as blue cruise. To do a lane change you must have a hand on wheel. Overall all comparable to the Mach E. Zero ”eyes on the road warnings” in 300 miles of HDA driving was a blessing, Hyundai does not watch your eyes. Basically the Hyundai says put hands on wheel when it sees a substantial “curve” just like BC. On a straight away, I did no hand touch for several miles. Both highway and non highway.
3. Auto speed sign cruise control speed adjust requires you to bump the cruise button up or down once to change if the speed sign sees higher or lower .it prompts you but It’s not automatic like the Mach E. I liked the automatic Changes.
4. 14%-80% at EA was 21 minutes. Max of 195 kWh.
5. Getting used to the icons on the smaller screen will take some time. You do not realize the real simplicity of the Mach E screen until you have something else. The Mach E screen and interface is superior (even though so many complain). The Mach E has 3 times more customizable settings too and it’s actually good, they are buried, you can change the Hyundai while driving with HDA active. There are no “are you the passenger“ messages on the Hyundai.
6. The Ioniq 5‘s trip meter resets after every start. No way to easily track Mi/kWh without logging odometer.
7. Cooled seats are great. Seat comfort is very nice.
8. Rear seat comfort is superior. The rear back recline and leg room is greater than the Mach E.
9. The Mach E interior “wraps“ around you Even though you do not notice. The steering wheel is fat and substantial. . You feel like you are in a fighter jet. The Ioniq 5 is like driving a luxury small SUV.
10. I know folks complain about the Mach E leds that light up the console. The Ioniq 5 does not have any. Try finding the cup holder at night. I miss the leds.
11. you get the same amount of wind noise with the glass roof. Slight. But you have a powered shade you can close to silence it in the Ioniq 5.
12. The “calf rest” on the Ioniq 5’s drivers seat is useless if you are over 5’5”.
13. It is faster 0-60 than the Premium ER AWD Mustang. My first interstate on ramp was a thrill. But it is more “squirrely”. The Mach E, floored, seemed a bit more controlled. My guess is weight plays a big part.
14. the 360 camera is comparable but has more functions in the Hyundai. You can scroll around the car from the exterior with your finger, On the screen.
15. Ride. Comparable on smoother roads with minor imperfections with one big exception. The bounce or ”bucking” you get with the Mach E and especially the 19” wheels is eliminated. The 18’s on the Mach E improve but do not eliminate this.
16. PAAK. I bought an Android phone just to test the Hyundai PAAK. It does not support Apple yet. It does not rely on a constantly updated app like Fordpass. So far 100% reliable with all functions. You must hold your phone at the door handle for 2-3 seconds to unlock. You also get a credit card to use if your phone dies (to keep in wallet).
17. Mach E audio has more adjustment and more bass over the hyundai Bose System. I do not even know if the hyundai subwoofer works As the thumping is lacking.
18. Hyundai voice control works well. For example at EA I said “open charge door” and it opened. The Hyundai also has an external speaker that “tells” you if you are charging after plugging in.
19. only one USB Input on the Hyundai. Mach E has two. USBA and USBC. Also, my A is taken by my wireless CarPlay adapter, which works very well but a big miss for Hyundai. With my MMB I will be constantly switching USB connections. I never touched them in the Mach E. But it does have 4 additional USBA charging points And wireless phone charging. It’s also a super long reach to USB input port. So long for my “USB” music Drive. With only 1 input, Carplay takes it over. Integrated wireless carplay is a very nice feature.
20. Apple Maps does not support EV integration on the Hyundai. It also does not have the extended view which is super nice in Mach E.
21. Hyundai has 3 drive modes.Eco, Normal and Sport. Eco is terrible. Full limit on acceleration like to 20% power. Dangerous in traffic or passing. I will use it ONLY on the highway. Not safe anywhere else.
22. Minor but using XM, you can scroll though the channels super fast while driving in a list format. That is a plus.
23. Hyundai heads up display shows your radio selection and NAV prompts. I wish Ford had one.
24. No emblems to clean gently around.
25. No sills to scuff as floor is flat.
26. Hyundai wipers park below the hood. I do not know how I will change them yet. You cannot pop them up like Mach E.
27. Hyundai comes with rear seat back protectors.
28. Hyundai only comes with 110v charger But it will charge off my Ford connected charge Station.
29. Hyundai has 3 programmable buttons. one on the wheel, one on the dash and the volume knob. Kind of cool. You decide what they should do for a task from a predetermined list. For example the volume knob can be programmed to seek change stations and change inputs (XM, AM FM) instead of off on volume control, the steering wheel can shortcut to NAV, radio, bluelink etc.

Similarities that work the same. hands free lift gate, (but no foot needed) you stand at the rear for 2-3 seconds with fob in Pocket, easy entry and exit along with auto seat adjustment works well, Profiles works similarly, front seat room is similar, manual interior door latches are good on both, heat is instant like Mach E, charge connection and start time with EA is the same, auto high beams work identically, similar ambient lighting, same great interior electric motor noises letting you know you are in an EV.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Finally got the Mach E’s replacement Ioniq 5 Limited, Hits and Misses. Both great EVs. 1664760271929

Does it have a hands-free system, like GM’s SuperCruise or Ford’s BlueCruise hands free? I can’t tell from your write up.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks both you and @NewGuy for the responses. Sync is updated (car is also 2022), my iOS is updated, it's a recent-gen phone, and I'm using an official Apple USB-C cable (although this one came with the Magic Keyboard because it's braided and constructed much better than the iPhone provided one). I've tried an official USB-A cable with similar results, but next step is to try the iPhone provided USB-C to lightning, maybe those can carry more data. I agree the dealer will not be very useful. My only theory is maybe since the expanded Carplay view is available on so few vehicles that Apple and Ford didn't really bother to test out all possible configurations.

Unfortunately the only other car I can test is a BMW which *only* has wireless Carplay (they know I like to use the wire and so dropped it from all their vehicles just to frustrate me).
You could change the audio quality for the music see if that make a difference

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Wireless Carplay/Android auto is really not much of an issue nowadays. Dongles range from $50 on up. I have this one in our EV6 and it works flawlessly:

Wireless AA/CP dongle
Yes I have one. But with only 1 input I cannot play my USB music like in the Mach E. I have uploaded to my Phone so Issue solves but quality suffers.
Sponsored