tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT in the best color ever made (cyber orange!)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Good morning everyone!

It isn’t as big of a drive as many people, but we took the plunge and went down from the Bay to Pismo Beach for a couple of days without the kids!

We departed from Oakland at about 85% charge, and had to stop once at the Gilroy outlets, for an EA station. We did some shopping and our car was ready for us before we were ready for it! Very cool. Sustained charge was over 100 kW.

Back on the road we encountered a lovely and mythic rare thunderstorm replete with lightning and big rain drops. The MachE handled wet roads with aplomb. Rain sensing wipers did great.

Arrived at the hotel to find that their advertised “destination charger” was a ChargePoint that cost $0.40/kwh and delivered power at below 6 kW. Huh. Okay well we were over a barrel and needed the juice so we went with it. It was a 70 kW charge so about 80%?(88 kW battery?)!

We decided to take some time on the trip and drive to Avila Beach and while there, take some photos. The sun cooperated for a few minutes and never had I ever driven on a wooden pier before so I went ahead and took the opportunity to do that (picture 1). Also wanted to recreate a picture I took of my ‘08 GT/CS back in the day many moons ago for picture 2.

Finally picture 3 my wife took, while I was driving. the speed limit recognition is usually pretty good, but for some reason near SLO, it decided the limit was 85. I thought better of testing that vs CHP’s interpretation and kept it below 85. Lol :)

In the way back we had a crummy EA experience. Navi sent us to an EA station at a Walmart more than a mile off the freeway at Harden Ranch. We got to the Plot with 11%, and I saw an EA charger in the middle of the lot. Taken. But it says 2/4 available…

Kept driving around, range anxiety growing, and located 6 EA chargers at the far end of the parking lot. 4 of them were “unavailable” (it would be nice to know before I park and get out….) but lucky for me no one else was there so I had a “350 kW” all to myself. It never went about 70 kW, but it got the job done and we got home.

The whole trip was an average of a flat 3.0/kWh which to me felt great since it’s a power hungry GT eAWD and I don’t really have a light foot. There was a lot of city driving and a decent chunk of stop and go on Route 101, probably why.

Thanks for reading!

80745D5D-6788-42FC-B845-A6EB66D0679C.jpeg

F08CC3F0-4FA5-473E-9041-46A800361E98.jpeg

B78E02F4-0887-4DAB-A09F-ECD2515C6133.jpeg

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Good on the OP for realizing his 3m/kWh was due to the combination of city and highway driving. My lifetime average over 10,000 miles I think is 2.9.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nice to read your report. Your trip I know well. My sister lives in Pismo. Nice photos. They sure are struggling with the drought.

Cheddar went to Pismo, and Cheeto went to Porterville,🌞 so hot inland, I was worried about the recall issue. But all went well roundtrip in 103 * weather. we stopped at Harris Ranch with 4 Electrify America chargers. 500 mi. Round trip. No prob.

I agree about a little range anxiety, but we didn’t want to waste miles looking for an odd one that didn’t work and just hoofed it straight as planned. Had 24 miles left at Harris.😝
Pismo has chargers at their outlet’s.

duneii

First Name
Siri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in '18, Mach E LR AWD-order
Country flag
Nice pics especially the one on boardwalk with the ocean and contrasting cyber orange of your Mach-E!

For the slow destination charger, I found that the older and slower ones tend to be expensive and poorly maintained. The rate is set by the building owner I believe.

OP
OP

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Good on the OP for realizing his 3m/kWh was due to the combination of city and highway driving. My lifetime average over 10,000 miles I think is 2.9.
I was fortunate enough that I cleared Trip 2 when I got the car and haven’t touched it, in 116 hours of drive time, and just shy of 5k miles. It’s exactly 3M/kwh average, and we do a balance of city/highway in our every day life. I’m no Angel on the highway but I always try to hypermile in city driving because I love the efficiency of regenerative braking, it’s something that always bothered me about ICE cars, the lost energy during slow down!

If it’s all highway the GT is definitely more in the 2.3-2.5 range but it’s well worth it!! :)

OP
OP

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Nice pics especially the one on boardwalk with the ocean and contrasting cyber orange of your Mach-E!

For the slow destination charger, I found that the older and slower ones tend to be expensive and poorly maintained. The rate is set by the building owner I believe.
It was really scary to drive over the water, so close. But worth it for the 'gram! LOL :)

I have gotten lucky a couple of times on destination chargers, there's a place in San Anselmo where it's a ChargePoint, and I used my account, but it still hasn't shown up as a charge on my card or the CP account! And it's been a long time now.

But yeah, I'm sure the hotel sets the rate on those CP chargers there, and I am sure that electricity in Pismo is not cheap. So it is what it is, I guess, California and all!

OP
OP

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Nice to read your report. Your trip I know well. My sister lives in Pismo. Nice photos. They sure are struggling with the drought.

Cheddar went to Pismo, and Cheeto went to Porterville,🌞 so hot inland, I was worried about the recall issue. But all went well roundtrip in 103 * weather. we stopped at Harris Ranch with 4 Electrify America chargers. 500 mi. Round trip. No prob.

I agree about a little range anxiety, but we didn’t want to waste miles looking for an odd one that didn’t work and just hoofed it straight as planned. Had 24 miles left at Harris.😝
Pismo has chargers at their outlet’s.
The drought woes strangle us all, though I felt good seeing all those beautiful crops as we drove down Route 101. I am sure agricultural water use is a big part of our "issue" though, obviously we need it, I wonder if maybe we should cut back our growth of avocados and almonds in the central valley since those are thirsty little devils... but I digress.

If my sister lived in Pismo, I'd visit a lot more... =]

I haven't gotten to the Harris Ranch EA station, in the MachE, but we hit the Kettleman City in the Tesla for their lounge. I can't wait for EA to open the "Oasis" stations, it is going to be amazing.

I was a little miffed that Madonna Inn only had Tesla SC's. Not a single CCS to be found.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nice color. My wifes GTP avg 3kwh highway running 65mph with air on temp 80. Most local trips at 45 mph air on temp 75 avg 3.5kwh. Jumping on throttle a little more lowers avg to 2.5kwh.
We love the car and have no cons. Grand kids seats fit perfectly and they are thrilled we have a ev.

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
In the way back we had a crummy EA experience. Navi sent us to an EA station at a Walmart more than a mile off the freeway at Harden Ranch. We got to the Plot with 11%, and I saw an EA charger in the middle of the lot. Taken. But it says 2/4 available…

Kept driving around, range anxiety growing, and located 6 EA chargers at the far end of the parking lot. 4 of them were “unavailable” (it would be nice to know before I park and get out….) but lucky for me no one else was there so I had a “350 kW” all to myself. It never went about 70 kW, but it got the job done and we got home.

Ford Mustang Mach-E First big road trip with Cheddar! 21 GT B78E02F4-0887-4DAB-A09F-ECD2515C6133
Great pictures and trip report.

Many EA Walmart locations have Handicap accessible chargers located near the front of the parking lot and the main charging locations in the back corner.

I have been eying Walmarts now like they are In-N-Outs checking for the locations of the chargers. My wife thinks I'm crazy. It's all for science I tell her in case we need to use one in the future.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Thanks for letting us live your trip vicariously! Great write-up. Sounds like you had fun. 😊🐩

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Great write up and love the pictures. I went to school in SLO so I have fond memories of that area, but not of the drive from SLO to the Bay Area. Too long in my slow, non-air conditioned 1967 Mustang. I now know of three of us now in the Bay Area (hopefully more will chime in) that have Cyber Oranage GT's. Looks like your in Oakland, so we you (Cheddar) in the east bay, Mach-N-Cheese in Sunnyvale and me (still waiting on my custom plate to name my car) in the southbay.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
im going up to big sur from orange this weekend. i have free charging with EA but they have too many broken chargers. Glad you didn't have to stop safely now
Sponsored