JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Psst: He knows what snow is: There are mountians in Hawaii and they get snow on top...

Have had my CA Rt1 since early Feb and drove it in some Michigan snow with 1-P on pretty much all the time.

Given that my previous car was a Bolt that I drove in 1-P mode 99.9% of the time I'm pretty used to regen in the snow (the two before that had blended brakes and thus would also regen prior to braking). You just got to be a little bit more careful.

The interesting thing, for me, is the handling difference: Bolt was FWD, CA Rt1 is RWD so regen is happening in a different place thus understeer vs oversteer kind of thing.

You get used to it and move on with life...
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I can't image trying to use 1P with ice/snow conditions.. That just sounds like you are asking to have issues. I love my 1P, been using it since the day I picked up the car and being in San Diego snow and ice won't change that :D
I think 1PD will be awesome in snow but you have to modulate it carefully. Probably Whisper mode will be easiest, but with careful feathering of the go pedal, Unbridled should be fine. I have driven in many snowstorms and prefer manual stick shift in those conditions so you can use the engine to slow the car instead of the brakes. 1PD is exactly the same thing, and with the different modes you have better control over how quickly the wheels slow down.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Is anyone getting snow tires? Do you trust a tire shop putting the MME on a lift to install them?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Is anyone getting snow tires? Do you trust a tire shop putting the MME on a lift to install them?
I had a local tire shop put a set of Vredestein Wintrac Pro on the stock wheels, and moved the OEM tires to aftermarket wheels for non-snow days.... I usually switch'em myself when headed to the mountains or if we get a big snow in town.

GrGuy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Select
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm running a set of Michelin X-Ice tires, and found the car to be absolutely great in snow snow and ice yesterday. Awd select in whisper mode with one pedal turned off.

PaulP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I just drove 70 kilometers (40 miles) on mountainous icy roads at -15ºC (5ºF) and the car didn't like that! 43 kWh/100km uphill and 23 kWh/100km downhill on the way back. It wasn't blowing warm air on the way up. On the way back, I put it on recirculating and it was fine.

For the one pedal driving, on ice, the car wouldn't brake by itself when I released my foot on the pedal to stop, I had to use the brake pedal. I'll get used to it. Otherwise, the car was fun to drive, AWD did a wonderful job.

Back home, car was giving me a 100 miles range on a full charge lol

Ford Mustang Mach-E First drive in a little snow 20211129_001254

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
What's that white stuff? S-N-O-W? Never heard of it. ;)
My brother lived in Hawaii for years, owned a coffee shop, meet a lady and moved to Wisconsin. He was the weird one of the family.

skeighle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e select awd
Country flag
I got them from my dealer slightly less range but they're good so far. Mountains of vermont here

skeighle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e select awd
Country flag
I just drove 70 kilometers (40 miles) on mountainous icy roads at -15ºC (5ºF) and the car didn't like that! 43 kWh/100km uphill and 23 kWh/100km downhill on the way back. It wasn't blowing warm air on the way up. On the way back, I put it on recirculating and it was fine.

For the one pedal driving, on ice, the car wouldn't brake by itself when I released my foot on the pedal to stop, I had to use the brake pedal. I'll get used to it. Otherwise, the car was fun to drive, AWD did a wonderful job.

Back home, car was giving me a 100 miles range on a full charge lol

Ford Mustang Mach-E First drive in a little snow 20211129_001254
I think preconditioning is necessary that cold. Seems like the mach e struggles to heat both cabin and battery, probably because it's the same heater system for both and the car prioritizes battery health over comfort. That being said @fordmotorco needs to figure out this recirc issue

ETKallio

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
I had two hours of driving during the worst time of the snow in metro Detroit on Saturday, at first the highways weren't even treated. I have 1.5 months of one pedal driving experience. I had one instance of too firm deceleration and a little slip when lifting off completely. After that, I adjusted and had no further problems, but also could be that the conditions improved. I'm going to stick with one pedal throughout the winter and adapt my driving, just like I would have to do with two pedal.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I took my MME out last night; the local roads had a fresh cover of snow and were pretty icy as well (Ohio State was in town to play Michigan, and I think the local road crews must have been watching the game instead of salting the roads :)).

I definitely experienced the shock of 1-Pedal driving on slick roads. The first few times I took my foot off the accelerator, the car started to slide/slip and the and the traction control systems started taking over. I was a bit spooked by that, and I disengaged 1-Pedal. However, I wasn't happy with that either, as the brakes are fairly 'grabby'. The next time I go out I'm going to try to leave 1-Pedal off and engage the "L" mode on the drive selector knob. If I recall, that's a 'tamer' version of 1-Pedal and hopefully that will work as a good substitute for 1-Pedal on wintry roads.
I would also try in Whisper mode which I think has less regen, so might be better driving in these conditions. I will try that myself to.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I drove in snow for the first time Saturday - same storm as @BadgerGreg I suspect - and yeah, 1PD is problematic unless you're really thinking about it. Needs a lot more feathering than normal but if you're paying attention (which you are, right, because you're driving), and follow the normal rule of "no cruise control on slippery roads, dummy", it's doable.

One thing I didn't experience that used to happen all the time in the Fusion was the car throwing up a low traction icon and text warning, which the car always seemed to tell me just after I realized and had reacted. "Yeah, you don't say, I lost traction 19 minutes ago? Thanks for that!"

Here's the snow that was on the roof at the start of the trip, before finishing cleaning off the car, to give you a sense of things:

Ford Mustang Mach-E First drive in a little snow IMG_20211127_215645

Mind you this was a wet, heavy snow, which impacts handling as well.

Charging at an EA station (free charging, baybeeeeee!) in the snow was an interesting experience.

OP
OP
Mach-e4x

Mach-e4x

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e 4x, 2016 Mazda CX5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is all good information. I was using 1 Pedal driving, in whisper and going slow around town, I've owned Subaru's before so this will be interesting.
I am getting Continental Viking contact 7 Snow tires with new 18" rims installed tomorrow.:)
Sponsored