First drive in a little snow

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
we've been over this before, mountain man. ?
Chilly this morning Michael. It's down to the upper 40's this morning. A cold front moving through would put that white stuff on Maunakea. Alas though, there's a drought. And I have no snow tires!

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Chilly this morning Michael. It's down to the upper 40's this morning. A cold front moving through would put that white stuff on Maunakea. Alas though, there's a drought. And I have no snow tires!
Ford Mustang Mach-E First drive in a little snow oh-no-centilia

?

cravacor

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME
Country flag
RWD here. Was driving in the SE Michigan snow Saturday afternoon and 1P definitely caught me off guard. The problem was while on the expressway when traffic ahead of me slowed down (on a slipper bridge of course) when I lifted 1P made the ass end step out a bit. Other than that the TC and ABS seemed to work well, you can really tell these (Michelin Primacy) are low rolling resistance tires too, they have pretty lousy traction.

MotownMachdoc

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
I took my MME out last night; the local roads had a fresh cover of snow and were pretty icy as well (Ohio State was in town to play Michigan, and I think the local road crews must have been watching the game instead of salting the roads :)).

I definitely experienced the shock of 1-Pedal driving on slick roads. The first few times I took my foot off the accelerator, the car started to slide/slip and the and the traction control systems started taking over. I was a bit spooked by that, and I disengaged 1-Pedal. However, I wasn't happy with that either, as the brakes are fairly 'grabby'. The next time I go out I'm going to try to leave 1-Pedal off and engage the "L" mode on the drive selector knob. If I recall, that's a 'tamer' version of 1-Pedal and hopefully that will work as a good substitute for 1-Pedal on wintry roads.
The roads got slick for Ohio fans to go home. My experience that night was with one pedal driving, the rear grabs then traction control quickly kicks in. I drove with one pedal off. As with the first snow in Michigan (been doing it for 50 years), drivers have to learn how to drive again every year. As evidence by 4X4 drive cars in ditches. You learn the car drive characteristics with experience. The patches of ice that were there would spin any car with any tires.

PaulP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I think preconditioning is necessary that cold. Seems like the mach e struggles to heat both cabin and battery, probably because it's the same heater system for both and the car prioritizes battery health over comfort. That being said @fordmotorco needs to figure out this recirc issue
You're totally right, that must be the issue! Car wasn't preconditioned when I left. The problem is that the windshield gets foggy on the inside and the car can barely deal with this issue, let alone the heating for the passengers. At least, I had a burning hot seat and a warm steering wheel to keep me warmish.

HOFMACHFE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt 2017, Mustang Mach E FE Grabber Blue
Country flag
With a bit more than fifty years of driving experience, always using the break pedal and many miles of using that old fashioned clutch, I’m really having an un natural feel with one peddle driving. I can see where it would work awesome driving down a long steep grade, but driving in ice and snowy conditions no way! Please keep reporting on your One Peddle expierences.
I have driven our Chevy Bolt with 1 pedal driving and now our Mustang Mach-E FE. Our previous cars have always been manual transmission cars driving in Canadian very icy deep snow conditions.

I always leave 1 pedal on in winter. It is much easier to stop safely by modulating how much your release or press the accelerator pedal.

I changed from Unbridled to Engage which slows down a little slower for winter. It also is better when accelerating. Using the brake pedal does work, however it is more likely to engage ABS then using 1 pedal.

We always use good quality snow tires which makes a major difference.

One thing I can say is that the Mach-E is heavy and you need to give a little more room for stopping on ice.

dano

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME
Occupation
Communications Engineer
Country flag
I had pretty much the same experience with whisper/1PD as others had noted. The first icy downhill stretch was exciting, but you do learn to moderate it.

Snow tires (Michelin X-ICE) were mounted today, but most of the ice is gone. The OE tires are beyond useless in snow and ice - be afraid!

Boxman74

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E premium Awd LR
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Drove in a snowstorm today, 3 to 4 inches of snow and slush. Awd and winter tires and the car is a tank! Heavy, awd and snow tires are perfect for me, didn’t slide once, and no issues with the 1pd so far

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think 1PD will be awesome in snow but you have to modulate it carefully. Probably Whisper mode will be easiest, but with careful feathering of the go pedal, Unbridled should be fine. I have driven in many snowstorms and prefer manual stick shift in those conditions so you can use the engine to slow the car instead of the brakes. 1PD is exactly the same thing, and with the different modes you have better control over how quickly the wheels slow down.
I read this also in the UK section that your back end slides all over and it is the worse? I was not sure what they were talking about because it was a beast in the snow last year. I was able to reproduce it on snow packed slippery roads today. If you drop the accelerator (take your foot off) it will slide at the back. That would be a little like slamming on the brake pedal in an ice which is normally a no no for driving in slippery conditions. Slow down for road conditions and come to a slow stop feathering the regen. Guess you can do that with the accelerator or brake pedal no difference to a point. I prefer 1pd.

New vanity plates!
Ford Mustang Mach-E First drive in a little snow Untitled-1

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I read this also in the UK section that your back end slides all over and it is the worse? I was not sure what they were talking about because it was a beast in the snow last year. I was able to reproduce it on snow packed slippery roads today. If you drop the accelerator (take your foot off) it will slide at the back. That would be a little like slamming on the brake pedal in an ice which is normally a no no for driving in slippery conditions. Slow down for road conditions and come to a slow stop feathering the regen. Guess you can do that with the accelerator or brake pedal no difference to a point. I prefer 1pd.
I agree. If you have dry conditions and you take your foot off the accelerator in 1PD/Unbridled, it will abruptly slow down. I am not sure why anyone (in the UK or elsewhere) would think that is a good idea when the road is slick with snow. Driving in snow properly means you are driving without abrupt movements, gradually changing speed and direction, anticipating stops and starts. Exactly how you should be driving with 1PD in the snow.

The reason I prefer to use the engine to slow instead of brakes is there is better control over the rotation of the wheels than if you using brakes. Anti-lock brakes may not slow the car fast enough, and turning off ABS (if you can do that) may mean you lock the wheels when trying to stop. A car with locked wheels is a car that is out of control.

We don't get much snow here, but the first snow we get I am going out. I am 99.9% sure 1PD will give me more control over the car. And while using 1PD I will avoid making abrupt changes in speed, and anticipate slowing down, just like you should do anyway. It is going to be awesome, and tons of fun.

Bring on the snow!!!

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree. If you have dry conditions and you take your foot off the accelerator in 1PD/Unbridled, it will abruptly slow down. I am not sure why anyone (in the UK or elsewhere) would think that is a good idea when the road is slick with snow. Driving in snow properly means you are driving without abrupt movements, gradually changing speed and direction, anticipating stops and starts. Exactly how you should be driving with 1PD in the snow.

The reason I prefer to use the engine to slow instead of brakes is there is better control over the rotation of the wheels than if you using brakes. Anti-lock brakes may not slow the car fast enough, and turning off ABS (if you can do that) may mean you lock the wheels when trying to stop. A car with locked wheels is a car that is out of control.

We don't get much snow here, but the first snow we get I am going out. I am 99.9% sure 1PD will give me more control over the car. And while using 1PD I will avoid making abrupt changes in speed, and anticipate slowing down, just like you should do anyway. It is going to be awesome, and tons of fun.

Bring on the snow!!!
It is just awesome on snow packed hills. One think you learn is do not hit the brakes going down an incline. Not the case with the MME. You can ease off on the accelerator (1PD) and have complete control of the speed on your descent. Around corners the back end just follows the front with awesome traction. Toke the 4x4 1/2 ton out down back roads yesterday as I baby this new toy, it was slushy and will be traveling with it today. I will say the MME is a lot better in the snow than the 4x4 was yesterday.

Mellow and no abrupt steering or braking is always helpful in snow. Agree just about time to get the snowshoes out for Christmas; bring it on. Could just jump from summer to winter for me with none of this messy in-between stuff.

elbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e awd x
Country flag
Snow season has started here. Usually from late October to early March we are on roads that vary from packed snow/ice to loose snow. Daytime temps from -5c to -30c.
So far the mach_e handles as good or better than any SUV I have ever owned. The AWD seems to do a very decent job and the ABS also quite responsive under hard braking. Looking forward to see the range and cabin heating under -20 to -30c temps.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Pffft. Snow. I optioned our 4X with summer tires.
Ford Mustang Mach-E First drive in a little snow 6AC3C9EF-5296-4150-899B-CC9C4F6EA876

Ford Mustang Mach-E First drive in a little snow 2DBF084D-80C3-44F2-ADAA-3FAC230928F9

Full disclosure. We then ordered a set of 20x8.5 wheels shod with 245/45 Continental DWS06 Plus All seasons ?