First drive with BlueCruise 1.2 - Lane changes are pretty slick!

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I was hoping that Ford would send an OTA quickly so we all get BlueCruise 1.2. But I've heard that won't happen until this summer or fall. Luckily, Ford did send us a Mach-E with BlueCruise 1.2 to test it out for a week. We plan on doing a deep dive into all the features and test it out in various traffic, road, and weather conditions.

Yesterday was our first day with the car. It is a California Route 1 in Vapor Blue so we'll also do a review of that this week. But our first priority was to get out on I-5 and try some of the new features.

I gotta say, the lane changes were pretty slick. I doubted how much I would trust the car to do a lane change for me, but it did pretty well. I still need to test it a lot more but the video below includes a lot of our first impressions about the lane changes and some in-lane repositioning. We didn't hit any curves that required it to slow down but I'm sure we'll find some later this week.

If you have anything specific that you want us to test, we have the car until Monday morning. Drop a comment and we'll try to add it to our list!

Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I was hoping that Ford would send an OTA quickly so we all get BlueCruise 1.2. But I've heard that won't happen until this summer or fall. Luckily, Ford did send us a Mach-E with BlueCruise 1.2 to test it out for a week. We plan on doing a deep dive into all the features and test it out in various traffic, road, and weather conditions.

Yesterday was our first day with the car. It is a California Route 1 in Vapor Blue so we'll also do a review of that this week. But our first priority was to get out on I-5 and try some of the new features.

I gotta say, the lane changes were pretty slick. I doubted how much I would trust the car to do a lane change for me, but it did pretty well. I still need to test it a lot more but the video below includes a lot of our first impressions about the lane changes and some in-lane repositioning. We didn't hit any curves that required it to slow down but I'm sure we'll find some later this week.

If you have anything specific that you want us to test, we have the car until Monday morning. Drop a comment and we'll try to add it to our list!

How does BC 1.2 do in the far left lane? Does it track in the center? BC 1 hugs the right side of the lane too much.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
How does BC 1.2 do in the far left lane? Does it track in the center? BC 1 hugs the right side of the lane too much.
+1 on this question. I've also felt that BC hugs the right side of the lane (especially when in the left-most lane of a highway). It feels uncomfortably close to other cars on my right side. I'd love to know how BC 1.2 feels in this regard?

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
I have found BC to hug the side of the divided line, whether driving in right or left lane. Please comment on how well the vehicle is centered whether driving in left-most lane, center lane or right-most lane.

jgargano44

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Select
Country flag
Will it perform a lane change if you simply use the "bump" turn signal instead of fully engaging the turn signal?

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Will it perform a lane change if you simply use the "bump" turn signal instead of fully engaging the turn signal?
You know... I didn't actually try that. But I don't think so. It wants to have the blinker on so it knows you still want to do it. If you turn the blinker off, it cancels the lane change.

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE, 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You know... I didn't actually try that. But I don't think so. It wants to have the blinker on so it knows you still want to do it. If you turn the blinker off, it cancels the lane change.
Yes, it will. It will keep the signal blinking while it performs the lane change, then turn the signal off automatically.

jjhenry

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT, '69 Chevy C20, '99 Rodeo, '09 Vespa
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Currently BlueCruise will not go hands-free when in the left most lane of I-5S in Carlsbad where there are concrete barriers quite close because of the new HOV lane construction. I'm curious if 1.2 will go hands-free in a lane with tighter tolerances. I'm guessing no, but a guy can dream.

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
Any phantom braking issues? Do you have speed limit sign recognition turned off?

superlarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2023 California Rt 1 Edition
Country flag
Currently BlueCruise will not go hands-free when in the left most lane of I-5S in Carlsbad where there are concrete barriers quite close because of the new HOV lane construction. I'm curious if 1.2 will go hands-free in a lane with tighter tolerances. I'm guessing no, but a guy can dream.
I have had a mixed experience with this stretch of road. It didn't engage a few weeks ago but earlier this week it did. I will be driving that way again this weekend and will continue to further test it

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I tested it in that stretch yesterday after we ended the video. I wasn't in the left lane, but it still canceled about 1.5 miles into the construction zone. I think it went farther than our car with BlueCruise 1.0 did, but it still cancelled.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Any phantom braking issues? Do you have speed limit sign recognition turned off?
No phantom braking. I've never had phantom braking with 1.0 either.

When I was in Colorado, I kept the speed limit sign recognition on. We didn't seem to have as many oddball speed limit changes. At here in California, I have turned that off, but on the test car I used in the video it was on. It slowed me down appropriately when I hit a 55 mph section.
Sponsored