Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Good morning All,
I'll be glad to give you a roundup of the Mach E from the very beginning. We installed solar panels 3 years ago; both to save on energy and do our part for the planet (we do have some cars that don't fit that bill but they don't get driven much at all...). We had a hotrod Golf R and I traded it straight for a '17 Chevy Bolt after it occurred to us: why not? It proved up the electric concept. We put 52,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years. It was quick, completely trouble-free, a great commuter car (kind of like riding in a subway car...it takes awhile to get used to no engine noise, exhaust noise, transmission noise...but you do). We came to love not planning to go to gas stations weekly, going to gas stations, etc. Go home, plug in daily, always full and ready to go. Also, the only maintenance for 200,000 miles were tire rotations. Our annual electric bills at home w/ panels average $40/month with the solar panels including car (saved us $2,200 year in gas), pool, etc. Anyone that doesn't think panels work should rethink it.

Which brings us to the Mach E. We believe in electric and will say a couple of things: when range is 400-600 miles per charge, it is over for gas. And the Shelby and GT Mach E will be street terrors. First time we saw it on a thread we were on it and not because it was a Mustang or a Ford. We all have to admit it is striking. We picked it up at Sam Pack Five Star Ford in Carrollton Texas and Trey and Rueben and all the staff made the whole process priceless.

About the Mach E. It is much larger than you will expect. Don't doubt it. The interior is very nice. We have a black interior and are very happy with it. Getting past first impressions, to drive it is quite nice. As I mentioned, this is a X rwd. The Bolt we had was quick; I always said like '93 Mustang GT quick. This car I would call swift. It has a nice torquey pull and, unlike the Bolt, feels like it has a nice higher speed grunt. Unlike the Bolt, it seems to beg to be driven fast, ie, fast highway speeds. Not great for a charge but then the car has much longer range so not a big issue. One of the things I like is the Intelligent cruise control which adjusts for speed limit changes (and you can set high and low tolerances above and below). Set the cruise and forget it.
On the road it rides very nicely, especially on the highway. I would call it sporty (in the day, personal luxury car sporty); the GT will be spot on I would think. It has a minor bump in the ride on rough roads but no biggy and much better than a soggy ride, it handles expansion joints well. It is nice. It has lane centering which I have never been a fan of but lane aid (with alert off)is excellent.
I left my neighborhood a few days ago and of all things a new paper plate Taycan and an early 2000s Vette were tooling along. We zinged along from the light up a twisty with the Mach E easily keeping up the pace with moderate pedal (do recognize I know the Taycan would have turned the Mach E into metal splinters...but the Mach E did not disappoint. I know the difference).
The seats are comfortable and the rear hatch is plenty adequate. We think we love the frunk but haven't used it. The front brakes seem very large for the car, a plus. That being said, one pedal driving is excellent but I do miss the extra regen toggle from the Bolt. I really liked that for pulling the car down hard with the electric motor.
Haven't had a chance to figure out feelings on the glass roof...it hasn't been 105 degrees yet. Would kind of like a blind spot mirror and haven't exactly fell in love with only one key fob but it is early yet. Phone as Key is new to us. I have an android w/ operating system 9 and it seems like it could be better but Iphone is good (and carplay is wireless). Android auto is wireless on new phones.
Overall, excellent. I like it. And it is my wife's car. She will drive the wheels off it with no mercy...and not change oil or go to a gas station. And let people stalk it and take pics.

20210105_115840.jpg

20210105_134909.jpg

20210105_161949.jpg

20210105_134950.jpg

20210105_134840.jpg

20210106_082333.jpg
Awesome! Thanks.

Did you trade in the Bolt or do you have two BEVs now?

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Good morning All,
I'll be glad to give you a roundup of the Mach E from the very beginning. We installed solar panels 3 years ago; both to save on energy and do our part for the planet (we do have some cars that don't fit that bill but they don't get driven much at all...). We had a hotrod Golf R and I traded it straight for a '17 Chevy Bolt after it occurred to us: why not? It proved up the electric concept. We put 52,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years. It was quick, completely trouble-free, a great commuter car (kind of like riding in a subway car...it takes awhile to get used to no engine noise, exhaust noise, transmission noise...but you do). We came to love not planning to go to gas stations weekly, going to gas stations, etc. Go home, plug in daily, always full and ready to go. Also, the only maintenance for 200,000 miles were tire rotations. Our annual electric bills at home w/ panels average $40/month with the solar panels including car (saved us $2,200 year in gas), pool, etc. Anyone that doesn't think panels work should rethink it.

Which brings us to the Mach E. We believe in electric and will say a couple of things: when range is 400-600 miles per charge, it is over for gas. And the Shelby and GT Mach E will be street terrors. First time we saw it on a thread we were on it and not because it was a Mustang or a Ford. We all have to admit it is striking. We picked it up at Sam Pack Five Star Ford in Carrollton Texas and Trey and Rueben and all the staff made the whole process priceless.

About the Mach E. It is much larger than you will expect. Don't doubt it. The interior is very nice. We have a black interior and are very happy with it. Getting past first impressions, to drive it is quite nice. As I mentioned, this is a X rwd. The Bolt we had was quick; I always said like '93 Mustang GT quick. This car I would call swift. It has a nice torquey pull and, unlike the Bolt, feels like it has a nice higher speed grunt. Unlike the Bolt, it seems to beg to be driven fast, ie, fast highway speeds. Not great for a charge but then the car has much longer range so not a big issue. One of the things I like is the Intelligent cruise control which adjusts for speed limit changes (and you can set high and low tolerances above and below). Set the cruise and forget it.
On the road it rides very nicely, especially on the highway. I would call it sporty (in the day, personal luxury car sporty); the GT will be spot on I would think. It has a minor bump in the ride on rough roads but no biggy and much better than a soggy ride, it handles expansion joints well. It is nice. It has lane centering which I have never been a fan of but lane aid (with alert off)is excellent.
I left my neighborhood a few days ago and of all things a new paper plate Taycan and an early 2000s Vette were tooling along. We zinged along from the light up a twisty with the Mach E easily keeping up the pace with moderate pedal (do recognize I know the Taycan would have turned the Mach E into metal splinters...but the Mach E did not disappoint. I know the difference).
The seats are comfortable and the rear hatch is plenty adequate. We think we love the frunk but haven't used it. The front brakes seem very large for the car, a plus. That being said, one pedal driving is excellent but I do miss the extra regen toggle from the Bolt. I really liked that for pulling the car down hard with the electric motor.
Haven't had a chance to figure out feelings on the glass roof...it hasn't been 105 degrees yet. Would kind of like a blind spot mirror and haven't exactly fell in love with only one key fob but it is early yet. Phone as Key is new to us. I have an android w/ operating system 9 and it seems like it could be better but Iphone is good (and carplay is wireless). Android auto is wireless on new phones.
Overall, excellent. I like it. And it is my wife's car. She will drive the wheels off it with no mercy...and not change oil or go to a gas station. And let people stalk it and take pics.

20210105_115840.jpg

20210105_134909.jpg

20210105_161949.jpg

20210105_134950.jpg

20210105_134840.jpg

20210106_082333.jpg
Great stuff. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. Congratulations!!!

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Good morning All,

20210105_115840.jpg

20210105_134909.jpg

20210105_161949.jpg

20210105_134950.jpg

20210105_134840.jpg

20210106_082333.jpg
Congrats, thanks for giving ford your business. Hope you enjoy it.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Good morning All,

20210105_115840.jpg

20210105_134909.jpg

20210105_161949.jpg

20210105_134950.jpg

20210105_134840.jpg

20210106_082333.jpg
Thank you so much Jim! Keep us posted as you and your wife get more experience. Love the whole report and the pictures. That's my color too!

Pig Iron

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Raptor, 2018 GT350R, 1966 G350
Occupation
Just retired
Country flag
Also, we traded the Bolt. Only so much room. Another note about Mach E. It charges much faster than the Bolt. We never installed a level 2 charger but "cheated" the Bolt stock charger to 240 volts. It still only charged at 16 amps and full charges were lengthy. The Mach E charger will go up to 32 amps. As I recall it wants a 50 amp circuit (you might be able to get by w/ 40). Install it now. It is a 30amp 4 prong (I do not have a neutral and it works; I installed an 80amp capable (amped down w/ a 50 amp breaker for the Mach E) a long time ago waiting for the day when electrics charge at tidal wave rates). Anyway you'll want an adequate circuit. The car has a big battery. Last night we were down to 20 miles (on purpose). It charged to full in about 12 hours give or take. I would call that fast.

Last edited:

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Last night we were down to 20 miles (on purpose). It charged to full in about 12 hours give or take. I would call that fast.
That is all win for me, can't wait to get ours. Thank you for sharing. Now if we only had some glamour shots...

Pig Iron

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Just retired
Country flag
And I know you'll ask so: we do plug in every night or almost. I decided not to concern myself w/ overly pampering the battery; too much mental effort. When used as a city car, if you can drive a full charge in a day, you have driven a lot and are tired. When you plug in at night after a typical day, this car will be quickly charged to full, in a few short hours, ie, 3-5. Even with a lot of range to fill, the Mach E will almost certainly always be full and ready when you get up in the morning. We didn't get that with the Bolt and stock charger on 240 but it was almost always ready. We have only had range anxiety a couple of times in the Bolt but don't expect them in the Mach. The range indicated does in fact seem to reflect all factors including driving style, etc. Range indicated certainly seems more dialed in and fluid than the Bolt. I do miss being able to open the charging Mach's door and see state of charge and finish time on the dash as I did on the bolt. You have to look at your phone app.

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also, we traded the Bolt. Only so much room. Another note about Mach E. It charges much faster than the Bolt. We never installed a level 2 charger but "cheated" Bolt stock charger to 240 volts. It still only charged at 16 amps and full charges were lengthy. The Mach E charger will go up to 32 amps. As I recall it wants a 50 amp circuit (you might be able to get by w/ 40). Install it now. It is a 30amp 4 prong (I do not have a neutral and it works; I installed a 80amp capable (amped down w/ a 50 amp breaker for the Mach E) a long time ago waiting for the day when electrics charge at tidal wave rates). Anyway you'll want an adequate circuit. The car has a big battery. Last night we were down to 20 miles (on purpose). It charged to full in about 12 hours give or take. I would call that fast.
Please clarify "It is a 30 amp 4 prong (I do not have a neutral and it works;". Did you mean a 50 amp 4 prong plug?

Pig Iron

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Just retired
Country flag
Sorry. I have it installed on a 50 amp circuit. The plug female plug you need is a Nema 14-50R.

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
@Pig Iron , Congrats and thank you for the feed back. Since you have the car for some time now. I am curious about the real world range. How far off from EPA?

Reactions: UW2

Pig Iron

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Just retired
Country flag
The range seems likely to be correct at 300. The temps outside are cold and we have been driving without regard for mileage (the speedo does go over 100 I reckon, easily I reckon) and it shows 268 miles range filled this morning. It will be over 300 in the summer. Before anyone gets wiggy, gas cars do the same thing. Our Raptor gets 17.6 to 18.2 on the highway in the summer; 15.8 today. Temperature has a big impact. So does driving style. Drive reasonably and keep max speed around 65 and you will have all the range you expect. Speed kills range; it takes hay to feed those horses.

Last edited:

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sorry. I have it installed on a 50 amp circuit. The plug female plug you need is a Nema 14-50R.
Thank you for the clarification on the 240v 50 amp circuit you are using to charge your Mach-E. I am happy to hear that the Ford Mobile Charger does **not** require a neutral to work on a Nema 14-50R receptacle. Also, thanks for sharing all the information on your Mach-E.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Congrats!!! Glad you were able to take delivery and that you're enjoying the car. Do you have any idea about the current delay in shipment (i.e., did Ford call you and ask to check out your car, or do an update)? Thanks, and have fun!

Pig Iron

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Just retired
Country flag
Seriously, don't worry about any delays. It is just another day. If you were waiting on your Tesla 3 etc, you could have waited 3 years and still missed a date by 9 months. I was shocked our car was in but know that if they are doing a hold, it is necessary. It could be to add a "treat." It might not be negative. It might be for our safety. These cars are computers with tires and motors. The sky is the limit. And as a note, our last three Ford purchases: Raptor (farm truck, toy hauler, off road runner), GT350R (crazy track car and street cruiser) and Mach E, have all under promised and over delivered. Shocked at how happy I am with these cars. They are ultra capable and engage the driver. Pretty crazy when you buy a car and all of a sudden decide you might keep this one forever... Much more than transportation.
Sponsored