harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
anyone know if there is a forum discount for the ecohitch?
There was a presale offer a few months back.
Sponsored

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
There was a presale offer a few months back.
Thanks! I remember they taking orders pre-sale orders, but not really offering a discount at the time and I wasn't 100% on going through with my MME purchase back then.

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
How have people liked this? I'm deciding between this and the stealth hitch but want to get a sense of the weight limit for the hitch. I'm thinking of a 4-bike rack or a cargo box.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
How have people liked this? I'm deciding between this and the stealth hitch but want to get a sense of the weight limit for the hitch. I'm thinking of a 4-bike rack or a cargo box.

the 2" ecohitch is rated for 3500# tow and 350# tongue weight I think.... more than the mach-e published 'zero' tow capacity.

There are 8 bolts holding the receiver bar on.... 4 hanging from chassis rail, and 4 pulling against bumper backer.

I will bet you could put any 4 bike rack on the market, or a hefty cargo box and be just fine with the 2" receiver. ;)

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
well, maybe. one of the two manuals directly says not to tow a trailer, period:

1615475704636.png

For something like attaching a bike rack like @ChasingCoral talked about, that's not going to come up.

but for towing a trailer, it seems like this is a pretty universal out for Ford.

the warranty guide (Version 1, November, 2020) doesn't have this exclusion, though, so at that point a buyer could argue that since it's not excluded in the warranty guide, that the owner's manual statement doesn't override the warranty.

ultimately everyone can do what they want once they buy their cars, but personally, this feels like a risky area right now.

Yet Ford UK sells the wiring kits and claim it will tow 750KG (1600 or so lbs), see https://shop.ford.co.uk/collections...ach-E_2020&pf_t_model=Filter_Model: All_Model

Jim

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

Rafgar

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE
Country flag
@mikeho I installed this hitch last weekend. It was an easy install and looks great. One of the reasons I went with the Eco-Hitch is that once installed there is no hole left on the underside. Yes, it is somewhat visible from the rear. But, since the hitch is black and the rear valance is black, it does blend in pretty well. There is also no affect on ground clearance since the hitch is higher than the lowest point.
Ford Mustang Mach-E First Hitch Installed on a Mach-E (Torklift EcoHitch) Hitch - 3
Ford Mustang Mach-E First Hitch Installed on a Mach-E (Torklift EcoHitch) Hitch - underneath
With the stealth hitch, you are left with a large hole in the underside unless you fabricate a panel to use when you don't have the receiver in place.

The hitch is rated for a tongue weight of 530 lbs. That is more than sufficient for a 4-bike rack or a box. I'm using mine to hold a 2-bike platform rack. While they rate it with a towing capacity, there's no wiring for lights and Ford doesn't want those of us in the US towing.

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
the 2" ecohitch is rated for 3500# tow and 350# tongue weight I think.... more than the mach-e published 'zero' tow capacity.

There are 8 bolts holding the receiver bar on.... 4 hanging from chassis rail, and 4 pulling against bumper backer.

I will bet you could put any 4 bike rack on the market, or a hefty cargo box and be just fine with the 2" receiver. ;)
@mikeho I installed this hitch last weekend. It was an easy install and looks great. One of the reasons I went with the Eco-Hitch is that once installed there is no hole left on the underside. Yes, it is somewhat visible from the rear. But, since the hitch is black and the rear valance is black, it does blend in pretty well. There is also no affect on ground clearance since the hitch is higher than the lowest point.
Ford Mustang Mach-E First Hitch Installed on a Mach-E (Torklift EcoHitch) Hitch - underneath
With the stealth hitch, you are left with a large hole in the underside unless you fabricate a panel to use when you don't have the receiver in place.

The hitch is rated for a tongue weight of 530 lbs. That is more than sufficient for a 4-bike rack or a box. I'm using mine to hold a 2-bike platform rack. While they rate it with a towing capacity, there's no wiring for lights and Ford doesn't want those of us in the US towing.
Great, thank you so much, both of you! We're planning our first RV road trip and I'm worried we won't have enough cargo space, so I'm thinking about this or a roof rack and a box. I figured this would be less damaging than seasucker bars on the panoramic roof.

How long did it take for the hitch to arrive after ordering?

Also, I'm thinking of having an installer do it; are there any instructions you recommend me telling them to make sure it's a clean install?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Great, thank you so much, both of you! We're planning our first RV road trip and I'm worried we won't have enough cargo space, so I'm thinking about this or a roof rack and a box. I figured this would be less damaging than seasucker bars on the panoramic roof.

How long did it take for the hitch to arrive after ordering?

Also, I'm thinking of having an installer do it; are there any instructions you recommend me telling them to make sure it's a clean install?
I ordered direct from torkliftcentral.com, and it was delivered in about a week as I recall.... came with printed instructions that were 'ok'.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

nice job!
love your plate by the way. ;)

094 installed rcvr only.jpg

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
21 MME, 65 Mustang Too Many to List!
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
So, I bought the hitch. IT's $385 on the site, down from the mid $400s. IT took about 4 days to arrive after ordering. I'm in the SF Bay Area, and they are in Washington, so it didn't have that far to go. The box was a bit stressed on arrival, but the hitch was fine. It's a big honking piece of powder coated metal, so it is going to be fine.

One has to cut the lower rear bumper cover, and the under body panel to do the install. The instructions are B+ quality. Here are some things I think could be improved in the instructions:

1) "Be Careful! Do not cut the through the sensors on the top side of the bumper cover." I'd put a graphic with the location shown. Yes, I'll be able to feel around and figure it out, but it's nice to know during the instructions read through I do before starting.

2) There are four plastic clips to remove the under body panel. Two are easy, two are a PITA. Some more detail here would be better. I've got plastic pry bars and the like for trim work. They don't feel strong enough. (that's where I'm at now.... But it's getting towards dusk so I'm might stop till tomorrow.)

3) There should be a list of required tools at the front of the instructions.

4) The instructions seems like a photo copy, not a print out of the original. The photo quality could be better.

I'm taking photos to make a how to. Stay tuned.

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
I am so happy to hear that the installation wasn’t as difficult as it could be. I have a set of ramps for oil changes that lift the car up a good 8”. Do you think that would be enough clearance if I backed up on them?
That's what I used.

Dr Obnxs

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drobnxs.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Under federal law, an unapproved modification cannot automatically void the entire warranty. It can allow Ford to disallow a repair if they can prove that your unapproved modification/use resulted in the damage, but if you tow a trailer and the air conditioner stops working, they still have to fix the air conditioner
While this is true, if you have a crappy dealership good luck getting them to agree. There's a lot of ignorance when it comes to this. I learned about this in the MINI Cooper world (new BMW one). Some dealerships would install parts that other dealerships said voided the warranty.

I personally am pig headed, and have time on my hands. So if push comes to shove, I'll just be tenatious till they figure out it's going to cost them more to fight me than to do the right thing.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
So, I bought the hitch. IT's $385 on the site, down from the mid $400s. IT took about 4 days to arrive after ordering. I'm in the SF Bay Area, and they are in Washington, so it didn't have that far to go. The box was a bit stressed on arrival, but the hitch was fine. It's a big honking piece of powder coated metal, so it is going to be fine.

One has to cut the lower rear bumper cover, and the under body panel to do the install. The instructions are B+ quality. Here are some things I think could be improved in the instructions:

1) "Be Careful! Do not cut the through the sensors on the top side of the bumper cover." I'd put a graphic with the location shown. Yes, I'll be able to feel around and figure it out, but it's nice to know during the instructions read through I do before starting.

2) There are four plastic clips to remove the under body panel. Two are easy, two are a PITA. Some more detail here would be better. I've got plastic pry bars and the like for trim work. They don't feel strong enough. (that's where I'm at now.... But it's getting towards dusk so I'm might stop till tomorrow.)

3) There should be a list of required tools at the front of the instructions.

4) The instructions seems like a photo copy, not a print out of the original. The photo quality could be better.

I'm taking photos to make a how to. Stay tuned.
your install notes are almost exactly what I noted and documented in my DIY install thread...... great DIY minds think alike I'd guess. ;)

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/diy-install-torklift-hitch-for-bike-rack-etc.5714/
Sponsored