First impressions - 1 wk. and 500 mi.

Kachook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Country flag
So, I am one of the lucky ones who was able to walk into a dealer and purchase an MME - Premium, AWD and rapid red. I had been stalking dealer inventory for the past month specifically looking for a red AWD and was simultaneously looking for a Tesla MY, red and seven seater. I almost ended up with the MY about a week-and-a-half ago. Let's just say that Tesla's customer service and logistics are horrible (and deserve its reputation) and the car that was supposed to be delivered to my house required me to take a day off of work and drive about 150 miles each way to pick it up. I said no, SA was offended that I would not do so and had no family members who cared about me enough to do so and assigned the VIN to someone else. Fast forward to last Saturday and I am driving out of the dealership in a brand new MME. I am extremely happy with the purchase and happy that I ended up with the MME and not the MY. My thoughts include:

1) The car is a joy to drive. It is fast. I know the MY is a tiny bit faster, but I am not out to drag race anyone.
2) Range anxiety is a real thing. This is our first EV and I have been paying way more attention to the battery charge than I would the gas gauge in our ICE vehicles.
3) The Ford mobile charger is adequate and comes with a Nema 14-50 adapter (Tesla's costs another $40). This is getting me around 15-18 mph. I have ordered a Grizzl-E for even faster charging so I can keep the mobile charger in the car.
4) The car is smooth - definitely smoother and quieter than the MYs we test drove.
5) The frunk - I like the idea of the plastic, drainable frunk. I'm not going to be using my $60k car as a cooler anytime soon, but it is the thought that counts. Also, I worry about these frunks because I feel like I am going to bend the metal every time I close it. I know the MY has an aftermarket accessory that can automatically close it. Anyone aware of anything for the MME?
6) I really do wish the MME had an option for 7 seats. The MY does seem to make better use of its space. The MME seems smaller inside, but there is plenty of room for five. At least, we have the luxury of having a minivan if we need to fit 7-8.
7) No PAAK issues yet, but I have the fob on me at all times. I am going to order a second one for my wife. Maybe I am starting to show my age, but I am way more likely to have in issue with my phone than the fob. I am more likely to lose my phone, forget to charge it or break it. The few times I have played around with the PAAK, it has worked.
8) It took me a while to get Ford Pass to work correctly. I had to download EVgo and EA. Now, EA works on Ford Pass but I am still using the EVgo app. Granted, I will not have to use either app 99% of the time since I am charging overnight at home.
9) It is annoying that I couldn't watch Netflix or anything else while I am sitting at a charger other than using my phone, which my kids stole. I do give Tesla props for having the better interface and better apps.
9) I am very happy with this purchase. It was supposed to be a placeholder until I could get a Rivian. But, I like it enough that I may try to convince the boss to allow us to have two EVs and one ICE vehicle instead of one EV and two ICE vehicles.
Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
You can activate the wifi, you get 3mos or 3Gigs whichever comes first for free. Then you can watch Netflix on your laptop, tablet, whatever.

OP
OP

Kachook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can activate the wifi, you get 3mos or 3Gigs whichever comes first for free. Then you can watch Netflix on your laptop, tablet, whatever.
Understood. The difference is that with a MY, one can watch it directly on the tablet for the car. I just wish the MME had the option. It seems like it would be a simple download of an application.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Ah, gotcha. Yea, that would be nice

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
Nice and congrats! I'm about 2 weeks in an 472 miles. Longest trip is driving back and forth to our boat on the lake about 40 min each way. Finally looks like the phone PAAK is working, had to delete it start over and follow some reset instructions in the car outside waiting for my daughter. In the garage setting it up just doesn't work for some reason.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
So, I am one of the lucky ones who was able to walk into a dealer and purchase an MME - Premium, AWD and rapid red. I had been stalking dealer inventory for the past month specifically looking for a red AWD and was simultaneously looking for a Tesla MY, red and seven seater. I almost ended up with the MY about a week-and-a-half ago. Let's just say that Tesla's customer service and logistics are horrible (and deserve its reputation) and the car that was supposed to be delivered to my house required me to take a day off of work and drive about 150 miles each way to pick it up. I said no, SA was offended that I would not do so and had no family members who cared about me enough to do so and assigned the VIN to someone else. Fast forward to last Saturday and I am driving out of the dealership in a brand new MME. I am extremely happy with the purchase and happy that I ended up with the MME and not the MY. My thoughts include:

1) The car is a joy to drive. It is fast. I know the MY is a tiny bit faster, but I am not out to drag race anyone.
2) Range anxiety is a real thing. This is our first EV and I have been paying way more attention to the battery charge than I would the gas gauge in our ICE vehicles.
3) The Ford mobile charger is adequate and comes with a Nema 14-50 adapter (Tesla's costs another $40). This is getting me around 15-18 mph. I have ordered a Grizzl-E for even faster charging so I can keep the mobile charger in the car.
4) The car is smooth - definitely smoother and quieter than the MYs we test drove.
5) The frunk - I like the idea of the plastic, drainable frunk. I'm not going to be using my $60k car as a cooler anytime soon, but it is the thought that counts. Also, I worry about these frunks because I feel like I am going to bend the metal every time I close it. I know the MY has an aftermarket accessory that can automatically close it. Anyone aware of anything for the MME?
6) I really do wish the MME had an option for 7 seats. The MY does seem to make better use of its space. The MME seems smaller inside, but there is plenty of room for five. At least, we have the luxury of having a minivan if we need to fit 7-8.
7) No PAAK issues yet, but I have the fob on me at all times. I am going to order a second one for my wife. Maybe I am starting to show my age, but I am way more likely to have in issue with my phone than the fob. I am more likely to lose my phone, forget to charge it or break it. The few times I have played around with the PAAK, it has worked.
8) It took me a while to get Ford Pass to work correctly. I had to download EVgo and EA. Now, EA works on Ford Pass but I am still using the EVgo app. Granted, I will not have to use either app 99% of the time since I am charging overnight at home.
9) It is annoying that I couldn't watch Netflix or anything else while I am sitting at a charger other than using my phone, which my kids stole. I do give Tesla props for having the better interface and better apps.
9) I am very happy with this purchase. It was supposed to be a placeholder until I could get a Rivian. But, I like it enough that I may try to convince the boss to allow us to have two EVs and one ICE vehicle instead of one EV and two ICE vehicles.
Congrats and I totally agree with your first five points. We have had ours for 10 days and just over 400 miles. PAAK has been flaky on my Wife’s IPhone. Dealer has agreed to provide a 2nd FOB for no extra charge. We lost interest in the MY after Ford came out with the MME!

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
We just reached 500 miles after 2 weeks. Still waiting for Plug/Charge to activate and dealer to provide 2nd FOB. No complaints other than that!!

OP
OP

Kachook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We just reached 500 miles after 2 weeks. Still waiting for Plug/Charge to activate and dealer to provide 2nd FOB. No complaints other than that!!
I haven’t tried the plug/charge on the app. I know the handshake wasn’t working with EVgo. I am not close enough to an EA location, but will try then. PAAK not working great on wife’s phone. I’m going to ask for a second fob and see their response.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I haven’t tried the plug/charge on the app. I know the handshake wasn’t working with EVgo. I am not close enough to an EA location, but will try then. PAAK not working great on wife’s phone. I’m going to ask for a second fob and see their response.
Getting Plug and Charge activated is my biggest problem so far!! I am on hold now waiting for someone on the help line!
Sponsored