Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Why not use one of the front USB ports? They have lightening to USBA or USBC cables.

This is probably a very minority use case, but for people who use a medical device like a Cpap machine and who might want to sleep in the back seat on a trip, that AC outlet would be very helpful (no, I have not researched if that machine can run from the 12V lighter outlet or USB).
A 12V to 120V, 300 watt pure sine wave inverter costs about $50. If it fails, you toss it (recycle) and buy another one. Why make it part of a car that a dealer will charge you $100 and more per hour to work on?
Sponsored

mikeflash

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Convertible, Expedition, Mach e
Country flag
If you get it and then planning on making the final decision - I think you will end up getting it.
I didnt really notice any issues with getting in and out. But Tesla does have the feature where the seats move in-out of the way and adjust to your setting as you get in and out. But this is also very subjective...
It is not the seat that is the problem. It is literally the the metal door jams that are to low and narrow. I have seen this on late model Cadillacs, Gm products and some Chrysler stuff. Cts and the new Line of Cadillac suvs are terrible. Only the new Escalade and Tahoe have normal proportions.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I think its a unique color and looks nice. I should've gone with the bigger wheel though (without being cheap). I did see another grey (dont remember what grey), that looked nice as well - but thats a more common color choice.
I believe wheel choices are fixed

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
It is not the seat that is the problem. It is literally the the metal door jams that are to low and narrow. I have seen this on late model Cadillacs, Gm products and some Chrysler stuff. Cts and the new Line of Cadillac suvs are terrible. Only the new Escalade and Tahoe have normal proportions.
Can you describe what you mean a different way? I understand the door jam to be where the door connects to the car, not sure I understand what narrow and low means in this context.

I will say in the one time I was briefly able to sit in a Mach E, the sill below the door seemed to be unusually high, like if I was not careful my foot could catch it climbing out and I would tumble. But I was in it so briefly not sure if my impression was correct.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
A 12V to 120V, 300 watt pure sine wave inverter costs about $50. If it fails, you toss it (recycle) and buy another one. Why make it part of a car that a dealer will charge you $100 and more per hour to work on?
Because they could use the high voltage battery to make a built-in outlet much more powerful. My Outlander PHEV has 1500 watt AC outlets. It’s nice to be able to run an extension cord to the refrigerator during a power outage.

Some Toyota hybrids now come with 1500w outlets as well. You never know when you might need some bacon.

mikeflash

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Convertible, Expedition, Mach e
Country flag
Can you describe what you mean a different way? I understand the door jam to be where the door connects to the car, not sure I understand what narrow and low means in this context.

I will say in the one time I was briefly able to sit in a Mach E, the sill below the door seemed to be unusually high, like if I was not careful my foot could catch it climbing out and I would tumble. But I was in it so briefly not sure if my impression was correct.
I have had several back and neck surgeries so I’m not very flexible. I usually sit on the edge of the seat and turn/swing my lower body into the car. The distance from the top of the seat and the slope of the roof is like a limbo bar; making it impossible to duck turn and roll at the same time. Along time ago a Ford dealer was watching me trying to get into a focus that my daughter was looking at purchasing. He told me that if I could get in it and drive it away he would give it to me. He kept his car.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Because they could use the high voltage battery to make a built-in outlet much more powerful. My Outlander PHEV has 1500 watt AC outlets. It’s nice to be able to run an extension cord to the refrigerator during a power outage.

Some Toyota hybrids now come with 1500w outlets as well. You never know when you might need some bacon.
1500 watts will cost you $150. I still wouldn't build it into the car.

My F150 has one rated 400W. I've used it once in 3-1/2 years to inflate an air mattress on a camping trip. And that wasn't necessary - the inflator runs on 12V also - I just wanted to be able to say I used the 120V. :D

Using a BEV for home backup power is interesting. I been in discussions about that on an electrician's forum I participate in. It's more complicated than meets the eye. Most of the interest in this is coming from CA in areas where PGE has started shutting down the grid occasionally in order to prevent fires.
Tesla sells what they call a "Powerwall" just for this. It's basically a Tesla without the car. ?

And bacon is always good!

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
Wow! I've used Turo before but as a customer, not as a vehicle provider and have to say that I've never trashed the car or left it smelling like weed!
What was your method to get rid of the weed smell before returning the car?

davkd

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iconic Silver ER RWD
Country flag
02/08 EDIT - Add trunk picture with groceries, Add info re Charging and Electrify America (tech and misc section)

EV Experience:
  • 2013 Ford Focus EV - Used as daily driver for 3 years
  • 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus RWD - Current daily driver (for now :) )
My Ford Mach-E
  • Reserved on- 03/03/2020
  • Order Finalized - 07/07/2020
  • Delivered to Dealer - 02/03/2021
  • Purchase Finalized and vehicle pickup - 02/07/2021
  • Purchase/Lease: Ford Options 48 Month Lease @ 10500miles with $2000 down $664/month (Including $2500 Options Rebate and CA CRV Rebate $1500)
  • Vehicle Trim/Spec:
    • Mustang Mach-E 2021 Select RWD
    • Ext-Iconic Silver Metallic | Int-BLK Onyx ActiveX Seats
    • +Comford/Technology Package ($2600)
    • Total Dealer Sticker Price $46, 595

My thoughts on EV, Range anxiety, Charging, Tesla vs Ford etc:
  • I drove a 60-70mile range ford focus EV for 3 years as my daily driver and I've had my share of "0% battery - stop" moments. But I've never been stuck to a point I had to call roadside assistance. Charged at home using a 110v regular charger. But yes, I had a gas car that I drove when I needed to go on longer trips.
  • I've been driving Tesla M3 for about an year and a big fan of all things Tesla (also have Tesla Solar). I love all the software upgrades/changes they routinely do and I think this one of the biggest reasons Tesla is leading the way. I believe Tesla is more of a Tech company, trying to make vehicles.
  • Why I bought Mach-e: I didn't need to buy another vehicle. Also - Ford is not in my Top 5 vehicle manufacturers. But I think Ford has the experience and could make a better car than Tesla. I also usually don't buy brand new vehicles - as they loose value right after. But looking at the price tag, all the rebates being offered - It doesn't look like I'd be loosing a lot of money. Additionally, I plan to rent out this vehicle on a car sharing/rental platform > converting this more to a investment than an expense. If it wasn't for the rental idea - I would've NOT bought it.

First impressions comparing it to Tesla M3:
  • Driving:
    • Drive seems more firm/controlled than M3. I think I enjoy it more than on my Tesla M3. This could also be due to the ride height.
    • Propulsion Noises - I LOVE this. In-fact, I've researched about after market upgrades that can be done on Tesla that could add this feature. I miss hearing the engine rev noises and the response you receive as you accelerate. So YES - I love it and hopefully Tesla considers this in the future.
    • One pedal driving - this seems very similar to Tesla and other vehicles, don't see a big difference.
    • EV acceleration/torque: For some reason, Torque seems much stronger on the M3 and not so much on Mach-e. Even on my Focus EV, the torque was more powerful, but it was a very light vehicle.
    • One thing I didn't like about my Focus EV is the fact that it was a lighter vehicle and felt like driving a toy car. Acceleration and handling felt a bit 'out of control'. But on the Mach-e : I think they did a very good job in fine tuning the driving experience and I'm sure the weight and center of gravity helps this a lot.
    • From a few hours of driving - I think I'm starting to prefer the Mach-e Driving experience over Model 3.
  • Tech and Misc.
    • Compared to Tesla M3 - I definitely love having a instrument cluster in front of you. Not a big fan of having to look to the side for all the controls.
    • On Mach e - Most of the standard vehicle controls are traditional button, levers. I love this. From a design and the looks point of view, I do like the minimalist look on the Tesla - but it came in the cost of functionality/practicality. For ex: Vipers, Headlight controls, Home link buttons, Signal levers etc - I like the traditional controls.
    • Settings/Options - If Tesla has 30 Settings to setup, I believe Mach-e has 3000 setting options to choose in the center control/infotainment Sync 4 system. As a Tech enthusiast, I like being able to control everything and seeing this many options. However, it feels a bit overwhelming and I think it will take a bit to get used. I could see most drivers not liking it. May be they can introduce a "easy/minimalist" environment with default basic settings and then an Advanced mode for those who choose.
    • Setting up the Ford Pass app is pretty straight forward - but I think Tesla wins in this category. It does take some effort to link the vehicle, then link your phone and setting up the phone as key - process on Tesla was much smoother. However, it seems like the Ford Pass app shows more details than the Tesla.
    • *** On the Tesla you have to choose between showing Battery level as a percentage or remaining miles (but not both.) On FORD,
    • Charging Network - This is an area that Tesla is dominating at the moment. With the overall process of charging (stop>plug>charge>unplug>go) and the availability of Charging stations. Ford and other manufacturers are try to implement a similar process, but it is difficult as they rely on public charging stations open to all.
    • ELECTRIFY AMERICA - With your Mach-E purchase (from what I see in my account), you get complimentary membership to Electrify America for 2 years with 250kWh charging bundle. That approximately translates to about 3-5 Charging sessions.

More than happy to answer any questions from forum members. And if you are around LA or planning to visit LA, feel free to reach out to me if you would like to rent it for a few days.

PXL_20210207_205352472.jpg
PXL_20210207_205402108.jpg
PXL_20210207_205410003.jpg
PXL_20210207_205421768.jpg
PXL_20210207_205450330.jpg
PXL_20210207_205631523.jpg
PXL_20210207_205654503.jpg
PXL_20210207_205706938.jpg
PXL_20210207_205722744.jpg
PXL_20210207_205815420.jpg
PXL_20210207_205820912.jpg
PXL_20210207_205901137.jpg
PXL_20210207_205928779.jpg
PXL_20210207_205951728.jpg
PXL_20210207_210006639.jpg
PXL_20210207_210026718.jpg
PXL_20210207_210051909.jpg
PXL_20210207_210118572.jpg
PXL_20210207_210130543.jpg
PXL_20210207_210216438.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210207_210236975.jpg
PXL_20210207_210259244.jpg
PXL_20210207_210332635.jpg
PXL_20210207_210348745.jpg
PXL_20210207_210403081.jpg
PXL_20210207_210425582.jpg
PXL_20210207_210438036.jpg
PXL_20210208_024851255.jpg
Screenshot_20210207-194726.jpg
Screenshot_20210207-194757.jpg
Screenshot_20210207-194802.jpg
Screenshot_20210207-194811.jpg
Screenshot_20210207-194821.jpg

PXL_20210208_020203511.jpg
Thanks for the photo's. I've chosen the same colour so its great to actually see it.
Just out of interest do you sit high up like an SUV?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

cassmoney0523

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo S90, 2018 MB GLC300
Occupation
physician
Country flag
Great write up - thank you!

I know it's personal choice but any additional thoughts on Iconic Silver? Looks great above and presume it looks even better in the sun? Really accentuates the lines and it's a uniquely shaded silver. I am debating between this and Shadow Black.
I enjoy the design choice of the body color sloping down the back of the vehicle (sportback look) while the roofline continues on in black to maintain headroom. if you choose black as the body color, you would lose that effect.

Ford Mustang Mach-E First Impressions of a Tesla M3 Owner buying Mach-E Select RWD 1612883666184

Ford Mustang Mach-E First Impressions of a Tesla M3 Owner buying Mach-E Select RWD 1612883644672

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium RWD Ext Range Infinite Blue 3/3/2021
Occupation
TV
Country flag
02/08 EDIT - Add trunk picture with groceries, Add info re Charging and Electrify America (tech and misc section)

EV Experience:
  • 2013 Ford Focus EV - Used as daily driver for 3 years
  • 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus RWD - Current daily driver (for now :) )
My Ford Mach-E
  • Reserved on- 03/03/2020
  • Order Finalized - 07/07/2020
  • Delivered to Dealer - 02/03/2021
  • Purchase Finalized and vehicle pickup - 02/07/2021
  • Purchase/Lease: Ford Options 48 Month Lease @ 10500miles with $2000 down $664/month (Including $2500 Options Rebate and CA CRV Rebate $1500)
  • Vehicle Trim/Spec:
    • Mustang Mach-E 2021 Select RWD
    • Ext-Iconic Silver Metallic | Int-BLK Onyx ActiveX Seats
    • +Comford/Technology Package ($2600)
    • Total Dealer Sticker Price $46, 595

My thoughts on EV, Range anxiety, Charging, Tesla vs Ford etc:
  • I drove a 60-70mile range ford focus EV for 3 years as my daily driver and I've had my share of "0% battery - stop" moments. But I've never been stuck to a point I had to call roadside assistance. Charged at home using a 110v regular charger. But yes, I had a gas car that I drove when I needed to go on longer trips.
  • I've been driving Tesla M3 for about an year and a big fan of all things Tesla (also have Tesla Solar). I love all the software upgrades/changes they routinely do and I think this one of the biggest reasons Tesla is leading the way. I believe Tesla is more of a Tech company, trying to make vehicles.
  • Why I bought Mach-e: I didn't need to buy another vehicle. Also - Ford is not in my Top 5 vehicle manufacturers. But I think Ford has the experience and could make a better car than Tesla. I also usually don't buy brand new vehicles - as they loose value right after. But looking at the price tag, all the rebates being offered - It doesn't look like I'd be loosing a lot of money. Additionally, I plan to rent out this vehicle on a car sharing/rental platform > converting this more to a investment than an expense. If it wasn't for the rental idea - I would've NOT bought it.

First impressions comparing it to Tesla M3:
  • Driving:
    • Drive seems more firm/controlled than M3. I think I enjoy it more than on my Tesla M3. This could also be due to the ride height.
    • Propulsion Noises - I LOVE this. In-fact, I've researched about after market upgrades that can be done on Tesla that could add this feature. I miss hearing the engine rev noises and the response you receive as you accelerate. So YES - I love it and hopefully Tesla considers this in the future.
    • One pedal driving - this seems very similar to Tesla and other vehicles, don't see a big difference.
    • EV acceleration/torque: For some reason, Torque seems much stronger on the M3 and not so much on Mach-e. Even on my Focus EV, the torque was more powerful, but it was a very light vehicle.
    • One thing I didn't like about my Focus EV is the fact that it was a lighter vehicle and felt like driving a toy car. Acceleration and handling felt a bit 'out of control'. But on the Mach-e : I think they did a very good job in fine tuning the driving experience and I'm sure the weight and center of gravity helps this a lot.
    • From a few hours of driving - I think I'm starting to prefer the Mach-e Driving experience over Model 3.
  • Tech and Misc.
    • Compared to Tesla M3 - I definitely love having a instrument cluster in front of you. Not a big fan of having to look to the side for all the controls.
    • On Mach e - Most of the standard vehicle controls are traditional button, levers. I love this. From a design and the looks point of view, I do like the minimalist look on the Tesla - but it came in the cost of functionality/practicality. For ex: Vipers, Headlight controls, Home link buttons, Signal levers etc - I like the traditional controls.
    • Settings/Options - If Tesla has 30 Settings to setup, I believe Mach-e has 3000 setting options to choose in the center control/infotainment Sync 4 system. As a Tech enthusiast, I like being able to control everything and seeing this many options. However, it feels a bit overwhelming and I think it will take a bit to get used. I could see most drivers not liking it. May be they can introduce a "easy/minimalist" environment with default basic settings and then an Advanced mode for those who choose.
    • Setting up the Ford Pass app is pretty straight forward - but I think Tesla wins in this category. It does take some effort to link the vehicle, then link your phone and setting up the phone as key - process on Tesla was much smoother. However, it seems like the Ford Pass app shows more details than the Tesla.
    • *** On the Tesla you have to choose between showing Battery level as a percentage or remaining miles (but not both.) On FORD,
    • Charging Network - This is an area that Tesla is dominating at the moment. With the overall process of charging (stop>plug>charge>unplug>go) and the availability of Charging stations. Ford and other manufacturers are try to implement a similar process, but it is difficult as they rely on public charging stations open to all.
    • ELECTRIFY AMERICA - With your Mach-E purchase (from what I see in my account), you get complimentary membership to Electrify America for 2 years with 250kWh charging bundle. That approximately translates to about 3-5 Charging sessions.

More than happy to answer any questions from forum members. And if you are around LA or planning to visit LA, feel free to reach out to me if you would like to rent it for a few days.

Ford Mustang Mach-E First Impressions of a Tesla M3 Owner buying Mach-E Select RWD 1612883644672

Absolutely phenomenal post. Just the one I've been waiting for -- Mach-E vs Tesla from an every-day perspective. And of course I love the fact that you are a Tesla fan to begin with and love so much about the Mach-E -- even prefer the Mustang in some important ways!

Thanks also for sharing the photos of the grocery run. Looks like our typical week at Costco!

I'm supposed to take delivery of my Premium RWD in 2 weeks. Cannot wait! Thanks again @DrewElectric.

OP
OP
Drewlectric

Drewlectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, Tesla M3, 4Runner
Country flag
Absolutely phenomenal post. Just the one I've been waiting for -- Mach-E vs Tesla from an every-day perspective. And of course I love the fact that you are a Tesla fan to begin with and love so much about the Mach-E -- even prefer the Mustang in some important ways!

Thanks also for sharing the photos of the grocery run. Looks like our typical week at Costco!

I'm supposed to take delivery of my Premium RWD in 2 weeks. Cannot wait! Thanks again @DrewElectric.
Thank you @John_C .
I like most of the youtube/blog reviews that came up the last few weeks, but most of them were by youtube influcers and some enthusiasts. I wanted to see a few regular day to day driving reviews.

Unfortunately, I didnt get to drive it much yet. Hopefully I can get some real driving comparisons and post an updated review.