JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
E-Heat controls the PTC heater. Turn it off, and even if the HVAC is on high, the coolant heater won't come on.

The heat version of the "A/C" button.
So are there any scenarios where this should be OFF? By leaving it ON I assume the heat will work i.e when you want car to heat, it will heat.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Kind of hope it isn't the case. Or it is a sticker we can remove.
  • - The Ford oval at the top of the windshield was there on both vehicles. The Ford guys seemed to think it would be there in production.
my 2015 mustang has one there, too - and I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out in another thread a few months ago.

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
So are there any scenarios where this should be OFF? By leaving it ON I assume the heat will work i.e when you want car to heat, it will heat.
Sometimes you might want some air flow without it being heated air. Being able to turn off the resistive heater is better than having to guess at the correct interior temp setting would allow that to happen.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I know the front and rear defrost can come on during pre-conditioning, but I don't think I've seen anything to indicate that the auto climate control will automatically direct air to the windshield when needed. The air location seemed manual in the menus.

IMG_8123.JPG

IMG_8124.JPG
I was hoping you'd have the ability to control which sets of vents are open - that's one thing I hate about my wife's car

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
E-Heat controls the PTC heater. Turn it off, and even if the HVAC is on high, the coolant heater won't come on.

The heat version of the "A/C" button.
That is awesome. Right now I have "My View" configured in the instrument panel to show energy consumption for the climate control. When it exceeds 5kW as denoted by the "+" sign then I know the PTC is on and then have to scramble to figure out what climate control setting is causing it to activate. Love that I can disable it since I never really use it where I live.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Sometimes you might want some air flow without it being heated air. Being able to turn off the resistive heater is better than having to guess at the correct interior temp setting would allow that to happen.
ok got it thanks

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I was hoping you'd have the ability to control which sets of vents are open - that's one thing I hate about my wife's car
I think I remember seeing manual sliders on the vents to close them.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think I remember seeing manual sliders on the vents to close them.
Right, but in my wife's car you can't turn on the foot vents and middle vents at the same time; in the summer it's nice to have cold air coming out of multiple levels to cool off faster

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Any guesses why the range is displayed as like 190 miles? The thing is supposedly Extended Range AWD

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Another odd thing I forgot to mention. There's a physical button for max front defrost on the left side of the dash over by the headlight dial. I think it's nice that there's a quick way to blast the front defrost when you need it, but I find the placement of the button odd.

IMG_8153.JPG
Im going to hit that with my knee everytime i get in and out of the car

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
That is awesome. Right now I have "My View" configured in the instrument panel to show energy consumption for the climate control. When it exceeds 5kW as denoted by the "+" sign then I know the PTC is on and then have to scramble to figure out what climate control setting is causing it to activate. Love that I can disable it since I never really use it where I live.
It's something the PHEVs and FFE should absolutely have had from the beginning to help avoid "reheat" scenarios especially where you're spending that limited battery range on the A/C and heater fighting each other.

Another thing it can help with is utilizing the thermal mass of the coolant more effectively. Right now, the way Ford setups work is that the PTC acts as an electric hot water heater - keeping the coolant hot right up until the second you park the car and turn it off. Having the e-Heat button allows you to turn the PTC off a few blocks from your destination, leave the HVAC at "HI" and use the blower to pull the heat out of the coolant (the discharge will get cooler and cooler).

That's one of the things about the Tesla's air PTC that I like - there's not a few gallons of 200 degree coolant just losing that heat to the atmosphere underhood when I park after a short drive in the winter. Without the e-Heat button there would be in a Ford PHEV or BEV.

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Any guesses why the range is displayed as like 190 miles? The thing is supposedly Extended Range AWD
You will drive yourself crazy by looking at range calculations from a demo vehicle. Just imagine how these things are driven. It only has 95 miles on it so far but I bet more than half of that was very spirited. The range calculations are going to be useless until the vehicle is driven in a responsible manner.

I started with almost 100% SOC and after 3 passes around the track we were down to 75% already. That was the most fun I had with 25% in my entire life! ?

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I pointed it out in another comment so I'm not going to retype the whole thing, but you can use that button to help save energy by turning off the heater before you arrive at your destination if you're willing to endure slightly cooler discharge air.

Jolteon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
There's a reason I use the % display exclusively in my BEV. Range estimates are so fickle and easily influenced by driving style.
Sponsored