CaptainET

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Did my first trip last week of 450 miles. Seemed it should be no problem. There were plenty of EA chargers along I-75 in florida and georgia, but not many of them worked. In Gainesville of 7 chargers : one guy was charging at 125kw, mine was only 31kw, 5 were marked as out of order.
after other guy was done , I got on the one putting out 125kw. In Valdosta,2 didn't work, 1 put out 125kw,but faulted after 5 min, 2 put out 31kw, so that's what I had to settle for. Cordele: I only tried one charger and it put out 126kw, yeah finally a charge stop went smooth. It doesn't do me any good to do anything less than level 3 charger unless I've got a place to stay overnight. I won't be doing anymore road trips in my Mach E. For local driving a full level 2 overnight charge at home gets me a week worth of charge.
Sponsored

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Did my first trip last week of 450 miles. Seemed it should be no problem. There were plenty of EA chargers along I-75 in florida and georgia, but not many of them worked. In Gainesville of 7 chargers : one guy was charging at 125kw, mine was only 31kw, 5 were marked as out of order.
after other guy was done , I got on the one putting out 125kw. In Valdosta,2 didn't work, 1 put out 125kw,but faulted after 5 min, 2 put out 31kw, so that's what I had to settle for. Cordele: I only tried one charger and it put out 126kw, yeah finally a charge stop went smooth. It doesn't do me any good to do anything less than level 3 charger unless I've got a place to stay overnight. I won't be doing anymore road trips in my Mach E. For local driving a full level 2 overnight charge at home gets me a week worth of charge.
My first road trip is coming up next month which is about 400 miles between my house and Panama City Beach. I plan on charging twice in Gainesville and Tallahassee. Hopefully they will have some more chargers working by then!!

Zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Rumson, NJ; Marco Island, FL; Amelia Island, FL
Vehicles
2023 Model S Plaid
Country flag
I have a Taycan 4s, a model Y perf and have been looking at a MME. I havenā€™t had much charge experience away from home other than with the Tesla. I dont want to confuse with a discussion of the different automobiles but only that my road trip experiences with Tesla, charging perspective, have been worry free. The super charger network is vast and generally well maintained.

Iā€˜d like to drive my Taycan from central NJ to the Naples areas of FL but I am not sure Iā€™m comfortable with the ability to charge over a multi day long trip. I need to do more research.

ncaadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
Being from Indiana, I follow the state pretty closely. I saw they made a large commitment to expanding the EV infrastructure. The stateā€™s charging infra is god awful. Honestly, embarrassing. Going from Chicago to Indy (an extremely popular route) there is ONE DCFC (in Lafayette). Even in Indianapolis itā€™s horrible as well.

I know this doesnā€™t help your case now, but there is hope for the future.

here is an article for reference: https://amp.indystar.com/amp/8004207002

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The time frame isn't as important as the actual news, this is the first confirmation it's going to happen in the first place
In 2018 Elon stated soon a Model S iill self drive itself across the country. So much for time frame and all for stock price.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
In 2018 Elon stated soon a Model S iill self drive itself across the country. So much for time frame and all for stock price.
I assume the main things keeping non-Tesla cars from using Superchargers is:
1) Connectors
2) Software blocking any cars but Teslas

First can be solved with an adapter. Second can be solved by removing the block. Seems a bit easier on the surface to accomplish than a self-driving cross-country car trip. Plus it'd be a new revenue stream for Tesla, though Tesla owners may revolt when they see how Superchargers can get even more congested when every EV is charging at them.

Birdmanf16

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e4 X
Occupation
Retired AF, log home restoration contractor
Country flag
This is why the Mach e is a city only car for us. I NEVER go on a road trip with this car. I got a headache just reading about the stress of that trip.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
This is why the Mach e is a city only car for us. I NEVER go on a road trip with this car. I got a headache just reading about the stress of that trip.
Stress? It's ADVENTURE. ;)

We are planning our first road trip. It will be just short of the car's range. I plan on hitting an EA location roughly 1/2 way, and then ideally staying in a hotel with a level 2 charger. I will call the hotel before booking anything to verify the chargers are working (had that issue 2 years ago with our PHEV).

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Stress? It's ADVENTURE. ;)

We are planning our first road trip. It will be just short of the car's range. I plan on hitting an EA location roughly 1/2 way, and then ideally staying in a hotel with a level 2 charger. I will call the hotel before booking anything to verify the chargers are working (had that issue 2 years ago with our PHEV).
Looking forward to our first adventure in a BEV! Hopefully I will be able to get in at least one trouble free Plug and Charge session before we hit the highway!
Sponsored