sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
This gentleman has a few other Mach-E videos I've seen, but this is the first one which, if you're a nerd like me, you'll be quite interested in.

He shows us a quick look at the FDRS when it's connected to the Mach-E, from which a user could do some advanced diagnostics, such as checking each individual cell voltage, which I think is very cool.

Ford Mustang Mach-E First look at Ford Diagnostic and Repair System on Mach-E Screenshot_20210207-143157

There's also a list of each control module in the car which varies by trim level.

On top of it all, it connects through the standard OBD-2 port, so I'm hoping that means software like Torque will be able to pull at least some useful information from the car.

Video:
Sponsored

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Wait, no Internet while on the road?

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
This is a view of the CAN system that most new cars have. Fusion fans use Torque (free) or upgrade to Torque Pro (paid) to read many parameters of the vehicle, including cell voltages of every battery pack through the CAN system. The video shows the Ford service tool (FDRS), and every car brand has their own tool, but a smart user can use Torque Pro and a basic Bluetooth OBD2 reader to read OBD codes and see what their own vehicle is doing. Some codes can be read while running (a passenger reads while someone else drives), and saved for future analysis, especially after a module software has been upgraded.

Here is information about the CAN system for those who are interested or don't know what it is: https://www.aa1car.com/library/can_systems.htm

So if your vehicle illuminates the "Check Engine" icon, or a "Service Engine Soon" icon, an OBD scanner can read the CAN generated codes, and you "can" begin diagnostics.

OP
OP
sockmeister

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
This is a view of the CAN system that most new cars have. Fusion fans use Torque (free) or upgrade to Torque Pro (paid) to read many parameters of the vehicle, including cell voltages of every battery pack through the CAN system. The video shows the Ford service tool (FDRS), and every car brand has their own tool, but a smart user can use Torque Pro and a basic Bluetooth OBD2 reader to read OBD codes and see what their own vehicle is doing. Some codes can be read while running (a passenger reads while someone else drives), and saved for future analysis, especially after a module software has been upgraded.

Here is information about the CAN system for those who are interested or don't know what it is: https://www.aa1car.com/library/can_systems.htm

So if your vehicle illuminates the "Check Engine" icon, or a "Service Engine Soon" icon, an OBD scanner can read the CAN generated codes, and you "can" begin diagnostics.
I have the torque Pro app, and have used it for years (as you mention) to try and diagnose problems with my previous cars (such as individual cylinder misfire counts). It's extremely useful.
It's even better to know that you'll be able to read similar information through the same application on a battery electric vehicle.

I guess that makes sense, since OBD tools are the standard still for most diagnostic software out there, and I don't see that changing soon!

Colorado Native

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 BMW 530xi, 2005 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
For those of you that follow TeslaBjorn, you know that many EVs support reading out lots of EV specific information such as battery temperature, State of Charge and current discharge rate through the ODBII connector.

I'm certainly hoping that Ford is making all that and much more available through the ODBII interface. If so, we will be able to 'jack in' to the car and watch it work at a whole new level!

Last edited:
OP
OP
sockmeister

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
For those of you that follow TeslaBjorn, you know that many EVs support reading out lots of EV specific information such as battery temperature, State of Charge and current discharge rate through the ODBII connector.

I'm certainly hoping that Ford is making all that and much more available through the ODBII interface. If so, we will be able to 'jack in' to the car and watch it work and a whole new level!
It definitely looks like it will be, and then some.

What I would love is if we can see the charging RATE in kW through the diagnostics, too. Since that's not available on the UI.

spp

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Cherokee, Pacifica PHEV
Occupation
Sr. Solution Architect
Country flag

This is a good overview. Do note there are many different things going on that bus and the OBD port has access to many of those things (but not all of it for safety reasons). There are the basic OBD-II codes (covered by that link) and then there is the proprietary CAN messages beyond what OBD-II provides. Each OEM has a different set which can cause a lot of fun when trying to decode them. GM has GMLAN, we (FCA/Stellantis) have multiple different ones depending on the vehicle electrical architecture. Ford has their own set.

Ford has an interesting program called OpenXC which allows third parties to build things that work with their vehicles. I am not sure if the Mach E is covered by that program though. It would be awesome if it was.

OP
OP
sockmeister

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Ford has an interesting program called OpenXC which allows third parties to build things that work with their vehicles. I am not sure if the Mach E is covered by that program though. It would be awesome if it was.
Ok, that has potential! I'd love to look into that. Depending on what we could pull, I'd be into making an app...

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
Did you ever look more into this?
My Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV had an available app form a private developer call Watchdog. Let you read out all the battery voltages in the same way. Unfortunately, the Outlander PHEV Battery Management System is a big joke. Everyone's battery degraded 15 percent in the first year just because the battery had a birthday no mater how you cared for your battery by good charging and discharging practices. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=phev.watchdog&hl=en_US&gl=US

I don't understand why the dog in the video wasn't more interested in the Mach E battery topic. Users of the PHEV Watchdog App refer to it as "The Dog".

Last edited:
OP
OP
sockmeister

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
My Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV had an available app form a private developer call Watchdog. Let you read out all the battery voltages in the same way. Unfortunately, the Outlander PHEV Battery Management System is a big joke. Everyone's battery degraded 15 percent in the first year just because the battery had a birthday no mater how you cared for your battery by good charging and discharging practices. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=phev.watchdog&hl=en_US&gl=US

I don't understand why the dog in the video wasn't more interested in the Mach E battery topic. Users of the PHEV Watchdog App refer to it as "The Dog".
Wonder if that'd work for this car.
Sponsored