Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Select, 2017 FFE, 2013 Cmax, 1996 Ranger
Occupation
Electrical Engineer (retired)
Country flag
Anyone have a recommended installer in San Jose, CA? I stopped by Rack N Road and they want $650 (!!) for the install AND they said they'll be pulling off the back bumper.
Don't let them do that!!!
Sponsored

kellstd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2011 Infiniti G37 convertible
Country flag
I do not have a foot switch (Select w/o comfort package), but it *should* be fine. I do know that when you have a bike on the rack, the sensors see it as an object, and you have to turn OFF audible alarm when backing up.
Thanks- Had it installed and bought a bike rack and it looks great. I turned off the foot switch, just in case. You are right- the rack itself is seen as a "target" by the back up warning so you have to turn off the automatic brake assist. I don't mind the warning chime- need to be more careful now anyway.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Anyone have a recommended installer in San Jose, CA? I stopped by Rack N Road and they want $650 (!!) for the install AND they said they'll be pulling off the back bumper.
the torklift hitch install is pretty easy (without any wiring harness).... probably 1-1/2hr max. no need to pull bumper cover or anything except the 'diaper'

if you actually want wiring.... it could get more involved, and is 'not supported' by Ford.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Since Ford does not provide a rating for towing in the USA, are you not concerned that fitting a tow hitch will invalidate the insurance in case of an accident and/or invalidate the Ford warranty altogether?
I'm not sure about the insurance part, but regarding the warranty, in the US it is illegal for car manufacturers (and indeed most manufacturers of consumer products) to invalidate an entire warranty. They are allowed to deny a particular claim, if they can prove that your misuse of the product caused the damage, but they can't "void your warranty".

So if you put a hitch on, overload it, and it bends part of the frame, then they can deny that warranty claim, but if you come in because your power seats aren't working anymore they can't claim that the hitch had anything to do with that and deny the claim.

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
Today was the perfect day to install the EcoHitch from TorkLift. Committed to get under the Mach E, take down the diaper panel and starting the installation process.
Couple members have gone thru this process also. Instead of making the cuts according to the instructions, I shortened the cut outs. 7 inch down to 5 inch. The width instead of 3 inches down to 2 & 3/4. Cut the diaper to the instructions.
Find a person or your partner and make sure they are patient and understanding. All of you going to juggle this piece of metal on your chests and lift into position.
Your vocabulary is going to get interesting.
Do not pick a fight with your wife, friend or girlfriend. It will be frustrating at times.
Fishing the main bolts is challenging. I had no trimming to do in order to fit thru the holes. Keep in mind the holes are not the same. I had to file one of them.
No wonder if the installation seems to be a bit askew by a 1/4 of an inch, it is fine. No one has gotten it in the exact center. None of the holes are precision cut and allow for some side play. I remember someone mention that the cut outs were large and mud, dust and sand will intrude the underside.
I doesn't matter. Dust, dirt and water will enter the underside. I used edge seal to keep the cut out edges tight to the hitch.
Keep all bolts and nuts loose until the end.
You may think this was not made for the Mach E......but it is. Try to find a torque wrench if you can. Torques are critical.
Whoever helps you try to do something nice for them. In my case my wife was a great help. We giggle, laughed and got to call this piece of metal all kinds of cosmetic epithets.
We dropped tools on our heads, chests and ate some dust along the entire process.
At the end we were victorious.
Made some pics for posterity.
Ford Mustang Mach-E First Mach-E hitch available - Torklift EcoHitch! PXL_20210528_202151696
Ford Mustang Mach-E First Mach-E hitch available - Torklift EcoHitch! PXL_20210528_202115846
Ford Mustang Mach-E First Mach-E hitch available - Torklift EcoHitch! PXL_20210528_202102327
Ford Mustang Mach-E First Mach-E hitch available - Torklift EcoHitch! PXL_20210528_202056545
Ford Mustang Mach-E First Mach-E hitch available - Torklift EcoHitch! PXL_20210528_201958422

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
Today was the perfect day to install the EcoHitch from TorkLift. Committed to get under the Mach E, take down the diaper panel and starting the installation process.
Couple members have gone thru this process also. Instead of making the cuts according to the instructions, I shortened the cut outs. 7 inch down to 5 inch. The width instead of 3 inches down to 2 & 3/4. Cut the diaper to the instructions.
Find a person or your partner and make sure they are patient and understanding. All of you going to juggle this piece of metal on your chests and lift into position.
Your vocabulary is going to get interesting.
Do not pick a fight with your wife, friend or girlfriend. It will be frustrating at times.
Fishing the main bolts is challenging. I had no trimming to do in order to fit thru the holes. Keep in mind the holes are not the same. I had to file one of them.
No wonder if the installation seems to be a bit askew by a 1/4 of an inch, it is fine. No one has gotten it in the exact center. None of the holes are precision cut and allow for some side play. I remember someone mention that the cut outs were large and mud, dust and sand will intrude the underside.
I doesn't matter. Dust, dirt and water will enter the underside. I used edge seal to keep the cut out edges tight to the hitch.
Keep all bolts and nuts loose until the end.
You may think this was not made for the Mach E......but it is. Try to find a torque wrench if you can. Torques are critical.
Whoever helps you try to do something nice for them. In my case my wife was a great help. We giggle, laughed and got to call this piece of metal all kinds of cosmetic epithets.
We dropped tools on our heads, chests and ate some dust along the entire process.
At the end we were victorious.
Made some pics for posterity.
Ford Mustang Mach-E First Mach-E hitch available - Torklift EcoHitch! PXL_20210528_201958422
Additional pics.

IMG_20210529_074233.jpg

IMG_20210529_074243.jpg

IMG_20210529_074259.jpg

Colorider

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD
Country flag
Great job Nikos and thanks for the pictures. The Select doesn’t have that fancy black plastic which means that I will need to take the whole bumper piece off I think... (posted in the DIY thread too).
Ford Mustang Mach-E First Mach-E hitch available - Torklift EcoHitch! 47D9942E-8739-4BA3-9FE3-B813BDF5F8D2

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
Great job Nikos and thanks for the pictures. The Select doesn’t have that fancy black plastic which means that I will need to take the whole bumper piece off I think... (posted in the DIY thread too).
47D9942E-8739-4BA3-9FE3-B813BDF5F8D2.jpeg
It is the same set up.
Don't have to take the whole bumper plastic cover. Take out all the screws and 4 plastic retainer clips and the diaper comes off. Then look up and you going to see your motor in all its glory. When you make your cuts you will have to cut both the plastic bumper cover and the diaper. Follow the instructions. I just modified the cut outs. Instead of cutting out 7 inches by 3 inches, I cut out 5 inches by 2 3/4.
The diaper dimensions remained the same. If you order the hitch you going to need someone to help you.
Find a patient friend and buy some beer for afterwards. Give yourself at least 4 to 5 hours. By the way a large heavy duty pair of scissors will do just fine. Mark your lines and cut.
Drink the beer after you finish this project. Good luck.!!!!

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
Well, and here are the differences between the US-and the European solution. Here in Germany the hitch solution is removable and unvisible.
Ford Mustang Mach-E First Mach-E hitch available - Torklift EcoHitch! IMG-20210531-WA0009
Ford Mustang Mach-E First Mach-E hitch available - Torklift EcoHitch! IMG-20210531-WA0009
The rear bumper has to be removed for this installation. Also I noticed the 7 pin connector. Where that harness connects to/with in the vehicle? The installation reminds me of the stealth hitch arrangement. I would like to see the cutout area. Pics when is finally installed, please.

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
Well, and here are the differences between the US-and the European solution. Here in Germany the hitch solution is removable and unvisible.
Thanks for the post. I had been wondering about these parts, and I recently created a thread asking about them:

Installing the OEM hitch receiver?

I wonder if it would be too much trouble to post the installation instructions? I am trying to get an idea of how difficult this is, and whether it is worth the trouble to go about obtaining it and installing it.

The only other invisible Mach-E hitch installation I've seen is this one:

See My New Trailer Hitch? Installed Stealth Hitches

But that is a prototype, and the product is not yet commercially available. I've spoken with a company representative, and they have no ETA other than "after the summer".

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Thanks for the post. I had been wondering about these parts, and I recently created a thread asking about them:

Installing the OEM hitch receiver?

I wonder if it would be too much trouble to post the installation instructions? I am trying to get an idea of how difficult this is, and whether it is worth the trouble to go about obtaining it and installing it.
take a look at
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/diy-install-torklift-hitch-for-bike-rack-etc.5714/

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
That's the same ecoHitch product that is the topic of this thread, unless I am missing something more specific you are trying to highlight.

It looks like a quality product and clean installation process, and it's great that it's on the market already. But I have my sights set on a setup that is completely hidden when not in use. My Mach-E won't be in my possession for a few months, so I have the luxury of waiting to see what else becomes available/viable.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
That's the same ecoHitch product that is the topic of this thread, unless I am missing something more specific you are trying to highlight.

It looks like a quality product and clean installation process, and it's great that it's on the market already. But I have my sights set on a setup that is completely hidden when not in use. My Mach-E won't be in my possession for a few months, so I have the luxury of waiting to see what else becomes available/viable.
all the 'completely hidden' options will require a much bigger cutout of 'diaper' and bottom bumper plastic because you have to be able to access a vertical tube and insert a hitchpin when you DO put the receiver in.... and figure out a way to have a removable cover to expose the access.

you can wait all you want, but I can't imagine a less obtrusive hitch that the way Torklift designed it. I was going to DIY my own behind a hinged panel and mount direct to bumper crossmember.... but the access panel cutout would have been far more visible than the Torklift receiver which is pretty well 'tucked under' the bottom bumper curve.

also keep in mind that there is NOT any electrical connector handy, so you won't have any lights for trailering unless you really dig into the bumper and behind the tailights.
Sponsored