Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I believe the Mach E can pull a jet ski or two easily. I will look into it for the hitch to carry couple bikes myself. What Ford doesn't want for someone to pull more than 1000lbs of stuff.
Ford knows that in Europe customers want to pull something light going on vacation. Americans.... that is another story. We all here go big..... really big. It is our nature. We over do it all the time.
I think your right on with this. Ford knows if they put a trailer hitch and publish a towing limit we will exceed that here in the states. Oversees people will use the hitch correctly
Sponsored

I.Adams

First Name
Ingo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mondeo 2.0l 145HP
Occupation
Managing Design Engineer & IWI
Country flag
Thanks for the post. I had been wondering about these parts, and I recently created a thread asking about them:

Installing the OEM hitch receiver?

I wonder if it would be too much trouble to post the installation instructions? I am trying to get an idea of how difficult this is, and whether it is worth the trouble to go about obtaining it and installing it.

The only other invisible Mach-E hitch installation I've seen is this one:

See My New Trailer Hitch? Installed Stealth Hitches

But that is a prototype, and the product is not yet commercially available. I've spoken with a company representative, and they have no ETA other than "after the summer".
I'm still waiting for my pony. But I can deliver a YouTube link where can see it have to be installed. Sorry, but it's only in German.

In Germany it is strictly forbidden to build such a hitch without lamps under a car. It have to be involved into the main system of the car, so the Mustang knows what it is carrying. The distance sensors must also be informed about what's going on behind them.

Pictures of the fully installed hitch will follow - I promised!

Greatings from Germany (and I'm still waiting for my pony ?)

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
all the 'completely hidden' options will require a much bigger cutout...
There are trade-offs for the hidden type, which isn't unexpected or unacceptable. Having options isn't a bad thing.

you can wait all you want, but I can't imagine a less obtrusive hitch that the way Torklift designed it.
I wish I didn't have to wait, but my vehicle won't be built until July, so I have no choice.

Several vendors have hitches of the hidden variety, and they are quality products just like the ecoHitch. In fact, Torklift has such products as well, just not for the Mach-E. Many people prefer the clean look - it's a big part of the aftermarket hitch market. I think this type of design is "less obtrusive", since it cannot be seen from the rear. But that's just my preference, and I have no issue with those who have other priorities or may define "less obtrusive" differently.

also keep in mind that there is NOT any electrical connector handy, so you won't have any lights for trailering unless you really dig into the bumper and behind the tailights.
I am not planning to tow since the Mach-E is not rated for towing in the US. Like others installing hitches, I would be using it for racks and storage systems.

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm still waiting for my pony.
Oh, okay. I misunderstood. I thought that the vehicle in the pictures was yours.

But I can deliver a YouTube link where can see it have to be installed. Sorry, but it's only in German.
Thanks for the video. Unfortunately it's not a Mach-E, but it is great to have the name of the manufacturer. ?

I.Adams

First Name
Ingo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mondeo 2.0l 145HP
Occupation
Managing Design Engineer & IWI
Country flag
Oh, okay. I misunderstood. I thought that the vehicle in the pictures was yours.

Thanks for the video. Unfortunately it's not a Mach-E, but it is great to have the name of the manufacturer. ?
Oh, you're right. That was my car. But the German certificates aren't already printed. ? German bureaucracy. My dealer sent me the pictures while he mounted my ordered hitch. THIS hitch is the standard German Ford hitch.

When I'll get my pony maybe next week I'll take the pictures inclusive dimensions!

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
To all of you who would like the hidden version of the hitch in the US need to look into the Stealth Hitch. Yes.....one member has installed it already. His proximity to the Stealth Hitch shop made possible. It is the same concept as the European installation. When I inquired about the Stealth Hitch the company said to wait another 6 months or longer. They only make stealth hitches for Foreign luxury vehicles. Again......when you need it......the hitch......you have to crawl under, insert the hitch and lock it in place.
Your choice.!!!!!!

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To all of you who would like the hidden version of the hitch in the US need to look into the Stealth Hitch.
When I inquired about the Stealth Hitch the company said to wait another 6 months or longer.
RIght - nice product, but unknown market arrival timeframe.

Again......when you need it......the hitch......you have to crawl under, insert the hitch and lock it in place. Your choice.!!!!!!
If so, that's another plus for the Brink hitch that Ford is offering as an OEM accessory in some markets. The videos on their website show just how easy it is to insert and remove. No crawling necessary, and it has a very clean appearance when not in use.

Rob FFE

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Select, 2017 FFE, 2013 Cmax, 1996 Ranger
Occupation
Electrical Engineer (retired)
Country flag
all the 'completely hidden' options will require a much bigger cutout of 'diaper' and bottom bumper plastic because you have to be able to access a vertical tube and insert a hitchpin when you DO put the receiver in.... and figure out a way to have a removable cover to expose the access.

you can wait all you want, but I can't imagine a less obtrusive hitch that the way Torklift designed it. I was going to DIY my own behind a hinged panel and mount direct to bumper crossmember.... but the access panel cutout would have been far more visible than the Torklift receiver which is pretty well 'tucked under' the bottom bumper curve.

also keep in mind that there is NOT any electrical connector handy, so you won't have any lights for trailering unless you really dig into the bumper and behind the tailights.
For all of the reasons Dan cited I decided to go with the TorqueLift hitch. Additionally, its available now and I had an immediate use for a hitch. Also, if you want to be able to use a bike rack and tow a small trailer, the price for the Stealth hitch is about double the Torque Lift hitch. I suspect that connecting to the Torque Lift is easier (important if you connect and remove it often), though I can't be sure since, of course, I haven't used the as yet unavailable Stealth hitch.

I was initially concerned with being able to see the hitch but now I'm accustomed to its appearance and don't give it a second thought. I corresponded with a rep for the Stealth hitch before choosing and he said they weren't planning to offer a cover for the cut opening and recommended leaving the cutout open. I wasn't happy with this considering that in Michigan we get lots of salty slush in winter. And the SS Torque Lift hitch can't rust (the visible part).

By the way, there is a very easy way in the MME to access and route the wires necessary for trailer lights.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Thanks- Had it installed and bought a bike rack and it looks great. I turned off the foot switch, just in case. You are right- the rack itself is seen as a "target" by the back up warning so you have to turn off the automatic brake assist. I don't mind the warning chime- need to be more careful now anyway.
Do you mind saying where you got it installed and how much? I'm not far Bridgewater.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
To all of you who would like the hidden version of the hitch in the US need to look into the Stealth Hitch. Yes.....one member has installed it already. His proximity to the Stealth Hitch shop made possible. It is the same concept as the European installation. When I inquired about the Stealth Hitch the company said to wait another 6 months or longer. They only make stealth hitches for Foreign luxury vehicles. Again......when you need it......the hitch......you have to crawl under, insert the hitch and lock it in place.
Your choice.!!!!!!
The post on the Stealth Hitch is here:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/see-my-new-trailer-hitch-installed-stealth-hitches.4921/

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
By the way, there is a very easy way in the MME to access and route the wires necessary for trailer lights.
details?!

I'd considering adding a simple 4 wire for my utility trailer lights... I only use it once a month or so, and the MME tailights are visible above/outside the trailer, but It would be better to have working stop and blinkers.

It looked like you might have to pull tailights, and then thread wire down behind the bumper or pull the bumper, or ???

Rob FFE

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Select, 2017 FFE, 2013 Cmax, 1996 Ranger
Occupation
Electrical Engineer (retired)
Country flag
details?!

I'd considering adding a simple 4 wire for my utility trailer lights... I only use it once a month or so, and the MME tailights are visible above/outside the trailer, but It would be better to have working stop and blinkers.

It looked like you might have to pull tailights, and then thread wire down behind the bumper or pull the bumper, or ???
I can go into more detail, but for now:
1) Remove tail light assembly.
2) There is a grommet with nothing in it. Punch small hoes for the wires you need (tail, turn, stop).
3) You can take the tail light assembly to your work bench to spice wires (I soldered the spices) onto the corresponding existing wires and tape or shrink wrap the splices.
4) Run the new wires through the grommet and into the rear cargo area.
5) Connect those wires to the adapter which will have, as its output, the trailer connector.
6) Obtain power for the adapter from the wire on the back side of the 12V socket on the passenger side of the cargo area.
7) Get neg battery from any convenient bolt, etc.

This method assumes that you will stow the trailer connector and mount the adapter in the lower part of the cargo area and bring the trailer wires out under the tailgate when used.

This way the only disassembly is the tail light assembly and part of the cargo area trim panels.

Eric318

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XJC, E-Golf, Citroën 1952
Country flag
For US folks:
Since Ford does not provide a tow rating, are there any impact on insurance or warranty when installing a tow hitch?
Thanks.