Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Those exact instructions are in the manual for my truck. Standard Homelink communication setup.
Yep. Same instructions. But, there is so much complexity with the car, things can get confusing. Great that people are willing to help one another figure things out!
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Here is what I have used to program HomeLink on my Volt, Sonata, 2018 Mustang and my Mach-E. I have never been able to use the remote to program it. I didn't use a second person I had plenty of time to get back to the car which I parked close to the garage door. My Genie is a 2006 model,

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash, which may take up to 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
  2. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Use a ladder or other device. For the next steps. On the garage door motorhead, press and release the learn code button - the red LED will begin to blink.
  3. Get back into your vehicle and press the desired HomeLink button one time.
  4. Press the desired HomeLink button a second time.
  5. Press the HomeLink button a third time. You should see the garage door open/close. HomeLink programming is complete.
This process works every time for me. I have an "Overhead" brand opener, which is made by Genie.

I tried one time to program via the existing remote and it didn't work, so I don't do that any more.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I’m a software engineer. We often just say things like “bug fixes and improvements” for many reasons.
  1. The most common reason. we wanted to get the fixes out the door sooner and it takes upwards of a week to translate the release notes to all the different languages. We already have translations for “bug fixes and improvements”.
  2. We didn’t actually document all the bug fixes we did.
  3. Sometimes we just hand the binary off to marketing or somebody else and they take care of the rest.
  4. Developers are bad at words and we aren’t trusted to make customer facing notes.
  5. We don’t want to admit to bugs you didn’t know about and didn’t effect you.
  6. We aren’t actually confident that we fixed everything even though we thoroughly tested.
  7. A lot of time “bugs” are actually user error or users not understanding how a feature works.
for sure - there's a reason that at more mature organizations at least, the Release Notes are formal documentation that goes through the documentation people before being sent out... and sometimes it's faster and easier to just put out generic text than having to go through that process. (ask me how I know ?)

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I’m also a software developer and I’m sure #5 is the main reason.
I’m not a software engineer, but that is my first guess as well.

My second guess would be that this “fixes” a fake bug they intentionally placed in order to have something they could live test OTA on.

Last edited:

Njia

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Escape Hybrid, Mach-E Prem/AWD/Standard Battery
Country flag
well they could insert noise cancellation to drown it out I suppose.
Former acoustics engineer here ... Probably not. Active Noise Cancelation works best on harmonic noise sources (like motors, etc.). Intermittent sounds like "buzz, squeak and rattle" are nonlinear, and don't lend themselves well to cancelation. Wind noise is also random (as is some tire noise), and while there are a few techniques for noise cancelation, most are only partially effective. It's often easier to modify the flow patterns around the vehicle body (or component) that's causing the wind noise, or simply adding materials that dampen the sound.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
the thing is, have you ever read app release notes on your phone? a vast majority of them read that way. the developers don't bother putting release notes in, or put in useless notes like what Ford did here, because the vast majority of people never look.

even on apps that do want to tell me what's changed by putting it in front of me when I launch them, a vast majority of the time, I just want to use the app, and I dismiss the info. "get out of my way I'm trying to start the car, stupid FordPass with this nonsense!"

now that said, I agree with what some have said that having a "real" list somewhere (the Ford Owner site seems like the right place to me) that someone interested in reading the info, on their own time, on demand, would be nice.
Actually I do read them sometimes to see if anything useful has happened or if they're squashing bugs or using toxic pesticides instead. ?

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
I mean, given the issues everyone is having the least Ford could do is give us more than "bug fixes." Maybe state explicitly the issues being addressed even if they don't give the technical details (although I'm all for the technical details).

It just comes down to transparency and trust and confidence. If Ford just says "bug fixes" I'm not going to feel very confident that they're taking our issues seriously or working towards fixing them and it'll make me trust their long-term commitment to this car less.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Ok if they are bug fixes we don't need the deets. If they are new features then we would like to know those details, however minor they are.
... unless the bug fix is one you're waiting on and you're trying to figure out if it's supposed to be fixed now. (notice "supposed to be" which is not answered by "just go see if the bug is still there" :))

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
WE also skipped about half of the regression testing, but that should not be a problem. All of the patches are perfect and should not create any new problems!
That's half more than we do!

J Duce

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Country flag
So the past few days I decided to leave my key fob in an RFID bag. This was only to test whether PAAK would begin to work. I am not sure if the OTA fixed this bug but my car seem to present more consistently (4 times) as I approach. It presents when I get within 5 to 10 feet with phone in my pocket. It was sporadic or delayed by a few seconds before. I will see if this remains the case later or tomorrow. But for now, my key fob is locked away. Of course, the key code is my alternate means of entry.

Update: If useful

Sync 4 Version: 20312_PRODUCT
Revision: 243

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anyone receive the update yet today?
Not me. I've heard it said that that's just the starting date, and it will roll out to customer cars in waves over the next few weeks. Don't know for sure if that's true or not.