Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JK and a WKII both gone :-( Now 23 MMEP Sta
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
Congrats on your road trip!

If I can’t get free juice from EA, in Florida I always try to use one of the power company networks: FPL EVolution in most of the state or OUC (ChargeUp) in Orlando.
They’ve agreed to charge $0.30/kWh in a state pilot program. Always at least six stalls and I’ve never had to wait.
Most others charge anywhere from $0.42 to $0.48. EVGo charges $0.59/kwh during the day, so I avoid using them.
I thought the chargers at the point st Lucie turnpike station were the FPL ones but on my way home after getting back on the turnpike I pulled in and I was not able to find the chargers.
Sponsored

GatorGrowl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-e Premium ER RWD
Country flag
Port Saint Lucie chargers are at the far southernmost end of the plaza, near the Cinnabon. It’s a huge plaza so don’t feel bad.
Fort Drum has OUC chargers basically dead center in the plaza.
West Palm and Pompano have FPL as well.
Canoe Creek and Turkey Lake have Duke Energy, which is a bit more expensive but not a bad deal.

ChehRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext. Range
Occupation
ret
Country flag
Navigation really needs to be able to zero in on where in those huge malls chargers, restaurants etc are located. I suspect latitude longitude data is available and good enough for that. Maybe it is available, and I just don't know how to do it?

OP
OP

valfam

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
Port Saint Lucie chargers are at the far southernmost end of the plaza, near the Cinnabon. It’s a huge plaza so don’t feel bad.
Fort Drum has OUC chargers basically dead center in the plaza.
West Palm and Pompano have FPL as well.
Canoe Creek and Turkey Lake have Duke Energy, which is a bit more expensive but not a bad deal.
Thanks I guess on my next trip down I will look for them again.

OP
OP

valfam

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
Navigation really needs to be able to zero in on where in those huge malls chargers, restaurants etc are located. I suspect latitude longitude data is available and good enough for that. Maybe it is available, and I just don't know how to do it?
Yeah when I was driving around looking for the chargers I was wonder where is it the GPS was saying I have arrived, but the chargers were nowhere to be found.

Progress

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red MME GTPE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Now the trip back home. It's started fine I topped off at my nieces house using a level 1 charger. And headed out I passed by my other nieces house to take her to breakfast and say good by so that was a few extra mile detour but it was not bad. I finally got on the turnpike heading nort. As I was 4 miles from the port st Lucie rest stop the GPS was telling me to get off the highway to charge. It was a 7 mile drive to the EA location in some nasty traffic mind you this EA station was in the mall called Treasure Coast Square. I was a little confused why the GPS would take me here but I followed her directions. I was married for a long time so I learned not to swim against the current. Anyway the station was your typical EA station. Plenty of open slots. I plugged in and went inside to use the restrooms and have a look around. This is my third time using a EA DCFC and the ford app with plug and charge has been perfect. I just plug it in and give it a second and your charging. That's so awesome. No credit card no money no problem. During this charge session the highest charge rate I saw was 97kw at 60% not sure why but just like last time at 70% it dropped to 26kw and it maintained that charge rate till 90% when i unplugged. I was at the site for 40 minutes but I charged to 90% to have extra to make it home. All in all I love my car and the whole EV experience. Is it easy like a ICE car can you decide to just drive and visit friends and so see this or that. I don't think so. The range let's say per tank is really short and the fuel you need is very special so it's not available every few blocks for you to fill up, but it can be done with planning and being willing to deal with the short coming of the new technology.
The more you take the same route, the better your charging experience will be. On my first trip from San Diego to Phoenix, the GPS had me get off on the exit before Yuma and drive what seemed like 10 minutes on a side road to the charger, which was difficult to find since I came into the parking lot from the far side. However, when I exited, it was a direct 1 minute drive to the next freeway entrance. So now I drive one exit further than the GPS says, and it is quick and easy to get to that charging station.
From your description of your charging strategy, it also seems like you had range anxiety for this first trip, which I did too on my first long trip. But now that you know the range of your car better, you can probably come up with a charging strategy that is more efficient and takes less time, but also does not give you any range anxiety.
For example, if you are comfortable arriving home with 10%-20% battery left, you might not need to charge all the way to 90% on your last stop. If you could charge to a lower amount, it would save you both time and money, and you could just charge the car when you get home at your leisure.

OP
OP

valfam

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
The more you take the same route, the better your charging experience will be. On my first trip from San Diego to Phoenix, the GPS had me get off on the exit before Yuma and drive what seemed like 10 minutes on a side road to the charger, which was difficult to find since I came into the parking lot from the far side. However, when I exited, it was a direct 1 minute drive to the next freeway entrance. So now I drive one exit further than the GPS says, and it is quick and easy to get to that charging station.
From your description of your charging strategy, it also seems like you had range anxiety for this first trip, which I did too on my first long trip. But now that you know the range of your car better, you can probably come up with a charging strategy that is more efficient and takes less time, but also does not give you any range anxiety.
For example, if you are comfortable arriving home with 10%-20% battery left, you might not need to charge all the way to 90% on your last stop. If you could charge to a lower amount, it would save you both time and money, and you could just charge the car when you get home at your leisure.
Yeah on this first trip I have to admit I was a little anxious, I tried to minimize it by going to a local Cosco DCFC to make sure I knew how to use a DCFC and it worked on the care and to make sure my plug and charge account worked. I think on my next trip down I may still charge to 90% just to have more charge when I get into Miami but I think on the way home I will do a few things diffrent. 1st I will stay on the Turnpike and use the charge station on the turnpike instead of getting off the highway. 2nd I will still charge but I wont charge more than I need to I will stop to stretch my legs and get something to drink and take a bathroom break but if I have enough charge to get home when I get to the car I will unplug and head home.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Orlando to Miami has plenty of options I-95 and Turnpike. EA and FPL service those areas well. It's Ocala/Gainesville that is a desert and requires very careful planning.

EA Plug and Charge makes life easy though and I hope all DC charging networks support it in the future.

OP
OP

valfam

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
network admin
Country flag
Orlando to Miami has plenty of options I-95 and Turnpike. EA and FPL service those areas well. It's Ocala/Gainesville that is a desert and requires very careful planning.

EA Plug and Charge makes life easy though and I hope all DC charging networks support it in the future.
As far as charges in Miami goes, I'm covered close to my nieces house there is a dog park and they have a free 32 amp charger that I use when we are at the dog park. I love plug and charge it makes it so easy.
Sponsored