First roadtrip in the MachE within the first week of ownership!

hyrulianruffio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e select , 2012 CR-V
Occupation
I.T.
Country flag
We just got our MachE Select on Tuesday of last week and took it on its first road trip on Friday. I was a bit worried at first and debated taking our ice vehicle, but decided to risk it and take the pony. Our trip was from Southwest Houston to a town just west of Waco, Texas (about 200 miles). Going between Houston and Waco is somewhat of a charging desert, along with Waco itself with the only DCFC station (EA) in town being down for upgrades. That was my main worry.

The night before leaving I charged up to 100% and in the morning we set off on the adventure. Using plug share, I discovered there was a free 50KW DCFC about 75 miles into our trip along the route in Navasota run by the local electric co-op, so we stopped there to get back up from 65% to 91% within 30 min.

Our next stop was about 20 miles up the road in College Station at the Brookshire Brothers grocery store to get a few items to take for Thanksgiving. They also had a 50kw DCFC, so we topped off there to 93% to get us to Waco and have enough extra to drive around and let the cousins do some test drives in the afternoon.

That evening we stayed at a TownPlace Suites in town that had two Tesla destination chargers. Using the Lectron Tesla adapter I plugged in that night at 29% to get back to 100% by morning. At first it was giving the full 10kw, but when a Tesla pulled up and plugged into the second charger, it cut the charge rate in half for both of us, but that was fine for overnight charging still. Woke up to 100% charge ready to hit the road back to Houston.

On the way back to Houston, the GOM was indicating we had enough charge to actually get all the way back home, but we decided to top off at the same 50kw from the co-op just to get some more juice and take advantage of it being free. We hit Navasota at 42% and left with 75% after exactly 30 min. While there, a Rivian R1T pulled up and was waiting, and so we had a nice chat about both of our EV's.

We got home with 39% charge remaining. Overall, charging only added about 30 min each way on our trip. Total cost for DCFC was $3.83 from the one stop at Brookshire Brothers. Was a great first trip to break the car in.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yeah, it's tough to pass up a free 50kWh charger. Had that same problem to/from Traverse City, Michigan. It kept calling to me...