mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
Took my first full-range, 240 mile round trip in and out of Chicago. Morning temperatures around 40F, evening around 25F.

I arrived with 51% battery. The free L2 garage chargers were all in use, so I didn't get to charge for free. This will be much more convenient when charging is more ubiquitous in garages with more plugs or mobile charging units or whatever...

When leaving, I checked an EA station at a nearby Target but it was full, including a white Mach-E that was still going strong at 91%. I assume a lot of chargers in big cities like this are hogged by people who are unfortunate enough not to be able to charge at home. I had plenty of charge to wait until I was in a less dense area, and picked out an EVgo charger that was in a boring looking strip mall. It was as empty as the EVgo app claimed. It was my second time using EVgo, so payment was all automatic, no hassle. Only got speeds of about 70kW, but it was pretty cold.

Added 15%; arrived home with 15%. So I probably could have made it, rolling in on 1%. But the charging infrastructure gets worse and worse the farther away from Chicago, so I didn't want to risk it.

My thoughts:

* My range bested the GOM by 40 miles, getting 240 miles on a 100% charge.
* Averaged 2.5-2.8 mi/kWh on the interstate (70mph) in average 25F-40F temperatures
* BlueCruise worked flawlessly and was able to navigate about 90% of the distance, including stop-and-go traffic.
* In other cars I'd drive more aggressively out of boredom (80-85mph), but letting the car do the driving in a single lane @ 70mph was peaceful.
* EVgo charger worked fine, but it's a nuisance trying to navigate to an available charger in realtime when you don't have a passenger to do the availability checks.
* Maybe it would be good if congested areas had some chargers that were only available for short 10 minute sessions. There probably are a lot of people who could use a little boost to get home, but waiting for people to do full charges makes it super inconvenient.

Don't get me wrong... I enjoy driving the car more aggressively when range isn't an issue, but it sure is nice to be able to go on longer trips without having to do much work. 😄
Sponsored

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
We use Blue Cruise and the lite version, in town and traffic and it's great. I really don't get annoyed any more with traffic on my daily commute. The Lightnings Blue Cruise is just as helpful! Looove it!
Great write up!

cargo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
My trip to Lamar MO from Greenville SC was similar with Bluecruise. Really made the trip much more relaxing
Oh man I was planning a possible trip to Lamar over thanksgiving, thankfully I did not cause what a lack of charging in that general area.

2FlyMache

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Ex4 MachE
Country flag
Oh man I was planning a possible trip to Lamar over thanksgiving, thankfully I did not cause what a lack of charging in that general area.
Actually, there is an Electrify America station 41 miles from Lamar. It's at a Walmart. The charging from Greenville to Lamar was pretty easy and the only nervous part was a 141 mile distance that had me concerned due to the weather and range loss of the tires. Ended up not being a big deal

EasyPass

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Took my first full-range, 240 mile round trip in and out of Chicago. Morning temperatures around 40F, evening around 25F.

I arrived with 51% battery. The free L2 garage chargers were all in use, so I didn't get to charge for free. This will be much more convenient when charging is more ubiquitous in garages with more plugs or mobile charging units or whatever...

When leaving, I checked an EA station at a nearby Target but it was full, including a white Mach-E that was still going strong at 91%. I assume a lot of chargers in big cities like this are hogged by people who are unfortunate enough not to be able to charge at home. I had plenty of charge to wait until I was in a less dense area, and picked out an EVgo charger that was in a boring looking strip mall. It was as empty as the EVgo app claimed. It was my second time using EVgo, so payment was all automatic, no hassle. Only got speeds of about 70kW, but it was pretty cold.

Added 15%; arrived home with 15%. So I probably could have made it, rolling in on 1%. But the charging infrastructure gets worse and worse the farther away from Chicago, so I didn't want to risk it.

My thoughts:

* My range bested the GOM by 40 miles, getting 240 miles on a 100% charge.
* Averaged 2.5-2.8 mi/kWh on the interstate (70mph) in average 25F-40F temperatures
* BlueCruise worked flawlessly and was able to navigate about 90% of the distance, including stop-and-go traffic.
* In other cars I'd drive more aggressively out of boredom (80-85mph), but letting the car do the driving in a single lane @ 70mph was peaceful.
* EVgo charger worked fine, but it's a nuisance trying to navigate to an available charger in realtime when you don't have a passenger to do the availability checks.
* Maybe it would be good if congested areas had some chargers that were only available for short 10 minute sessions. There probably are a lot of people who could use a little boost to get home, but waiting for people to do full charges makes it super inconvenient.

Don't get me wrong... I enjoy driving the car more aggressively when range isn't an issue, but it sure is nice to be able to go on longer trips without having to do much work. 😄
" but it's a nuisance trying to navigate to an available charger in realtime when you don't have a passenger to do the availability checks. "

Here's a tip or two:
  1. Scheduling a Pre-conditioning at the start of you trip will enhance your range at the beginning leg of the trip.
  2. I normally charge to 90% in my garage when needed for everyday use, but if I know I'll be going on a long range excursion I'll go to 100% timed to finish at departure. This is a way to maximize range without stressing the battery pack too much by bleeding off the full charge ASAP when finished. Otherwise, 2.5-2.8mi/kWh in those temps is pretty typical.
  3. Some apps are enabled to be projected to the center screen via Android Auto or Apple Car Play. This might provide another option when wanting to check availability and navigation while driving.

OP
OP

mateo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
Is the only way to precondition by setting a scheduled departure while plugged in?

Unfortunately on these over night road trips, I generally cannot be plugged in at departure time. Even if I can claim one of the garage chargers, I don't want to hog it, so I would move my car after charging up sufficiently enough.

Also currently I cannot even set departure times in the Ford app due to some bogus error about FordPass not responding. The in-car stuff is passable, but their mobile app is terrible.

I do have charging apps on Android Auto, and while it does help some, it doesn't work well if there's a specific charger I want to check but I'm not sure of the exact address and it's not one of the auto-selected close ones, etc. If I drove on longer trips more frequently, I'm sure I'd get used to it, but when taking occasional trips I can see how people could be frustrated by it.
Sponsored