First substantial trip in '23 SR/RWD Premium.

Mini166

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. RWD/SR,Lexus RX350, Dodge Ram Eco-Diesel
Country flag
I took the MME to Monterey from the North Bay earlier this week. I am not a numbers person, so I won't be posting exact miles, kilowatts & charging times, but it was a successful trip. Charged to 100% before we took off (first full charge since purchase on 12/23). Stopped in Morgan Hill at Target for just 20 minutes at a free ChargePoint, but only gained 7 miles there. We didn't drive much around Monterey, because my son took us places in his car (it was just convenient). On the day we were headed home, we charged at another slow-trickle ChargePoint in Carmel to gain about 37 miles - to give us cushion to get to an EVgo (DC fast charger) in Gilroy where we charged for 42 minutes which got us home with about 35% battery remaining (if I'm remembering correctly).

Next trip down, I'll stop in Gilroy on the way to Monterey to give us more juice for zipping around Monterey/Carmel, and then hit it again on the way home. I am not great with the charging apps yet, but I found mostly only the super slow chargers in the Monterey area. The hotel we stayed at didn't have a charger.

The car drove great - super comfortable and fun. My son had his older phone plugged in with a USB for music, and it dropped the connection somewhere on him in San Jose on the way back. Shortly thereafter, I did get a black screen while driving, and it rebooted itself. Scared me to death. Seems to be fine now ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
Sponsored

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
Congratulations on your first Mach-E road trip? Have you used any of your 250 KWH allotment of Electrify America fast charging? Currently they are very limited in the Monterey area - one in Pacific Grove - that would be faster than the slower charging Level 2s that are easier to find. I didnā€™t need to use that one on my last Monterey road trip, but was happy to see that itā€™s available. There is also an EA charger on the way down in Gilroy just off US 101. Of course, YMMV with how reliable the EA chargers are.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yeah, you want to be using fast charging.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mini166

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Congratulations on your first Mach-E road trip? Have you used any of your 250 KWH allotment of Electrify America fast charging? Currently they are very limited in the Monterey area - one in Pacific Grove - that would be faster than the slower charging Level 2s that are easier to find. I didnā€™t need to use that one on my last Monterey road trip, but was happy to see that itā€™s available. There is also an EA charger on the way down in Gilroy just off US 101. Of course, YMMV with how reliable the EA chargers are.
Admittedly I had not figured out my EA allotment before the trip. Now I am on board and will do that in the future.
I was surprised about how few chargers there were in the area ā˜¹

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜18 Pacifica PHEV, ā€˜22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
I use ABRP to plan my route with charging stops. I double check the stops on PlugShare to make sure they work, check speed, alternate stops, etc. I try to get hotels with chargers available and always comment positively, and conversely let it be known I want a charger if one isnā€™t provided. Squeaky wheel, you know.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Thanks for posting - helped me feel better!

Can't wait for my incoming '23 Premium RWD base to arrive....

BTW: I have a SR Lightning and am very happy with the range even on a road trip.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Admittedly I had not figured out my EA allotment before the trip. Now I am on board and will do that in the future.
I was surprised about how few chargers there were in the area ā˜¹
Again, this is due to your unfamiliarity with charging and using the tools available.

EAis in Pacific Grove, where you could have fast charged to 80% in under 30 minutes. I circled the EA chargers on your route home:

Ford Mustang Mach-E First substantial trip in '23 SR/RWD Premium. Monterey.PNG

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Again, this is due to your unfamiliarity with charging and using the tools available.

EAis in Pacific Grove, where you could have fast charged to 80% in under 30 minutes. I circled the EA chargers on your route home:

I wish there were some kind of big screen in the vehicle that had this info

OP
OP

Mini166

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Agreed.
One night I was on the plug share app for quite a while, and I must have had the filters not set correctly. But, several fast chargers that popped up had comments that said ā€œdonā€™t botherā€¦this charger is not for public use.ā€
Rookie mistakes were made on my part for sure. But luckily, I was at least not in a hurry, and didnā€™t get into any worrisome situations.
Fun trip, gorgeous weather. Canā€™t wait to take it out again on a fun trip.