First Successful Plug and Charge

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
And NO CHARGE STATION FAULT!!! :) We went to Cracker Barrel for dinner which happens to be across the Street from the EA station that we have gone to several times before! This time it worked as advertised by Ford! Lol This was only a quick test since I have burned up almost 50kwh pre testing for an upcoming road trip. Thanks to those of you on this forum for your advice!! :) Note: I stopped the process from the button next to the charge port on the car!
Sponsored

DocOfClocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Mach-E Premium AWD, CR-V Hybrid
Country flag
I also did my first one today. Stopped at a 350 kw EA charger in Mentor, OH. Turned off the car, plugged in the charger, tapped a button on the screen, and that's all it took. The Fordpass app notified me that it had reached 80%, I hit the button next to the charger and disconnected, and it was done. No errors. Had a nice conversation with a couple in a Hyundai Kona electric next to me.

Note that I have a relatively early build (January build, early April sale) and have not gone back to the dealer for any updates.

OP
OP
RockwallRick

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
We had another “ Not a Mustang “ guy check out the car! This guy was more civilized than the last one! He was more curious than upset by it! Lol

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I used a public charger for the first time last week, was amazed at how fast it added miles. The nearest EA station is 40 miles away, so I have a chargepoint account, nearest station is 2 miles away. Could not get the station to recognize my phone but the rfid card from chargepoint worked perfectly..... I have to say tho, public charging is expensive. Here in GA flat rate with all taxes and fees at home I pay about 13 cents per kwh.

MachEnation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black Bottom Barrel Base
Country flag
It’s worked at the last two EA charge bank stations I’ve tried. Unfortunately, took a couple tries and different individual chargers. And for whatever stupid reason, I can only use my free miles for 10 minutes then it stops and tells me to move—even though no one is there!

OP
OP
RockwallRick

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
It’s worked at the last two EA charge bank stations I’ve tried. Unfortunately, took a couple tries and different individual chargers. And for whatever stupid reason, I can only use my free miles for 10 minutes then it stops and tells me to move—even though no one is there!
I was only there for 5 minutes this time and got the battery charge from 22% up to 32%. I want to save the rest of my free EA allotment for an actual road trip! We finished charging at home.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
My PaaK does not work at all yet my Plug & Charge works flawlessly! Go figure. Used P&C at about 4 different EA stations this past weekend on a 1000+ mile trip. One was broken so quick move to the other station. All others worked flawlessly.

I know it seems like EA stations have failures but the situation is like night and ay compared to 2013 when I got my first fast charge car or even 2019 when I got my Etron. Back then at least in the Midwest most stations went days and even weeks before a charge was attempted. It wasn’t unusual to roll into an EA station and find every single charger dark. The last plugshare post from a month ago. My trusty 110v EVSE and 100’ cable saved my A$$ many a time.

A large part of the reason EA stations seems broken is that they are constantly being tested and charged at now. Stations that have been problematic for years are now being put through the paces. At one EA station that used to be very problematic near me, I discovered the 3 350kw ABB chargers have been recently replaced with Signet Chargers. Had no issues. It is an exciting time to see the charge network start coming together. As country I think we know how to do this now. Hope we hold our collective nerves and make the switch to EV.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I gave plug-and-charge a whirl at an EA station about five minutes from my house this weekend and to my pleasant surprise, it worked! I did get the error message when finishing, but will try pressing the button near the charge port next time.

I was a bit disappointed with the speed. It was a 150kWh charger and for the 8 minutes I was testing it, it consistently ran 87-88 kWh. I was expecting something north of 100 kWh, but maybe my expectations aren't realistic?

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was a bit disappointed with the speed. It was a 150kWh charger and for the 8 minutes I was testing it, it consistently ran 87-88 kWh. I was expecting something north of 100 kWh, but maybe my expectations aren't realistic?
Whats was your SOC and battery temp when you plugged in?

When I plugged in @ 20% SOC after a long highway drive, meaning warm battery, I got about 156kw for about 7 minutes then tapered to about 126 kw. After about 65% SOC it dropped to 80 kw.

So depending on your Battery condition it could be normal.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Whats was your SOC and battery temp when you plugged in?

When I plugged in @ 20% SOC after a long highway drive, meaning warm battery, I got about 156kw for about 7 minutes then tapered to about 126 kw. After about 65% SOC it dropped to 80 kw.

So depending on your Battery condition it could be normal.
I went from 43% to 60% SOC during my test run. Temps were in the mid-70s and I ran a brief errand previously so the car had been running about 10 minutes prior to charging.

My i3 only accepted a 50 kw charge, so it still seemed quite fast to me. But not as fast as I was expecting.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In more ideal situation it should run a bit faster. After highway driving for a couple of hours all the cells are depleted below 30% and nice and warm. Thats when you get optimal speeds to 125-150 kw.

The charge curve is very conservative, we know the car hardware can go north of 150kw. All of us are hoping Ford gets the confidence to release the kraken a bit more...
Sponsored