GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
Looks useless to us unless that cable gets longer
Very curious about this too. I rented a Model Y on vacation, and to supercharge I had to back completely up to the station until my wheels were against the concrete stop and it STILL felt like the cable was under a little tension. Actual measurements may prove me wrong but they really seem like they engineered the cables only to be as long as they needed to be for Teslas.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Two ways to think about this: 1) Tesla opens up the network, makes a ton more revenue, and boosts their share price, or 2) Tesla opens up the network and alienates their loyal customers who bought a Tesla largely due to the SC network. I think there's a solid business case to open the network in a way that doesn't alienate their customer base.

I think they slowly add CCS-compatible posts in rural locations where superchargers sit mostly unused (like virtually any SC station I see on road trips through the Midwest US). This keeps them from angering Tesla faithful in the beginning and allows for a gentle transition.

I think Tesla will also command a price premium for non-Teslas (probably via a monthly subscription), and I'm completely ok with that. This helps bridge the gap in the DCFC charging network until other charging companies can catch up. Meanwhile, Tesla is paying a TON for monthly demand charges for those rural stations, so they might as well get some revenue for it.
I would gladly pay $1 per kWh to use a supercharger location. I say that because I plan on rarely/never using one. I want to have access in an emergency, or if Iā€™m driving somewhere where there are no other Level 3 Chargers (Northern New Hampshire). That will disincentivize any non Tesla from using them, but keep them available when needed.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla Destination L2 cables are pretty short and I don't have trouble using them (with a TeslaTap).
The Tesla desination (L2) EVSEs I've used have very long cables. Gotta be at least 3x-4x longer than those short SC cables.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The sooner they just put credit card swipes on the chargers, and get rid of proprietary apps and such, the better it will be for adoption. Chargers should work like gas pumps (without the annoying TV commercials šŸ˜€)
Even better, both. The apps are great too and often more convenient for regular users. But the ability to just drive up to a new network and use a credit card is important too.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Very curious about this too. I rented a Model Y on vacation, and to supercharge I had to back completely up to the station until my wheels were against the concrete stop and it STILL felt like the cable was under a little tension. Actual measurements may prove me wrong but they really seem like they engineered the cables only to be as long as they needed to be for Teslas.
Because that is exactly what they were designed to do, until Tesla opens the Super Chargers to other manufacturers there is no need to reach anything but Teslas.

If and when the chargers are opened to other EV manufacturers the cables will be changed out for longer ones.

Mr. Toejam

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext, Chevy Bolt, Honda Minivan
Occupation
Dir of MFG Eng
Country flag
Looks useless to us unless that cable gets longer
ICE Mustangs are excellent side walk surfers. Check any Cars&Coffee video on youtube. So just run up the curb and the cable will be right next to our port.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
ICE Mustangs are excellent side walk surfers. Check any Cars&Coffee video on youtube. So just run up the curb and the cable will be right next to our port.
That would go over great with the Tesla drivers haha

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Won't work, tesla cords are designed to have the vehicle plugged in at the left rear corner while backed in. You would literally have to back the Mach E up by 2/3rds of the car length to reach the plug, there just isn't enough real estate to accomplish that.

Mr. Toejam

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext, Chevy Bolt, Honda Minivan
Occupation
Dir of MFG Eng
Country flag
Won't work, tesla cords are designed to have the vehicle plugged in at the left rear corner while backed in. You would literally have to back the Mach E up by 2/3rds of the car length to reach the plug, there just isn't enough real estate to accomplish that.
Perfectly good sarcasm wasted again.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
The Tesla desination (L2) EVSEs I've used have very long cables. Gotta be at least 3x-4x longer than those short SC cables.
Hmmm... I guess they vary. The Tesla Destination L2 charger I used several times last month is about 4 feet long.
Sponsored