Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Shortly after I took delivery of my MME, I noticed I had a repeatable problem with the center display screen going black when it overheated. This occurred not just when parking in the sun, but even when driving South since the back of the display sticks up, is black, and has no ventilation.

I took some pictures, verified it was temperature related, brought the car in and the Dealer replaced the entire display.... and it has worked ok for the last year.... BUT lately has been acting 'weird', and seems to be processing slowly, and PAAK takes a while to re-connect when the screen is hot.

So, I have started putting a hat on the console display when driving, or parking in the sun, and it seems to have really helped.

This is obviously not a 'great' solution, and I may get back to trying something more elegant like a shade screen on the backside of the monitor, but for now it does seem to have improved the monitor performance, and keeps it noticeably cooler, which has to be better for a display/computer. I thought I'd start a thread to see if other people have noticed issues when your display heats up, and what you may have done to solve it.

perhaps @AOSK could design a combo phone holder/display back shade that would be a slicker solution?!

HatShade.jpg
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Sounds like Ford should have designed cooling into the unit for cases like yours. If you are driving without a passenger, can you direct the passenger middle vent toward the screen? 🤷‍♂️🐩

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Sounds like Ford should have designed cooling into the unit for cases like yours. If you are driving without a passenger, can you direct the passenger middle vent toward the screen? 🤷‍♂️🐩
I genuinely don't understand the variation in display units. The vast majority of us driving in full sun don't have this issue. At all. Still, we see this particular problem pop up every now and then.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The A/C in the cabin doesn't cool enough when I'm driving south mid-day, The back of the monitor get up close to 120-130F even when cabin is 74F

and not at all if car is off parked facing south without shade screen up on windshield. It heats up 'hot to the touch' 140F in 15 minutes in the blazing NM sun.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I genuinely don't understand the variation in display units. The vast majority of us driving in full sun don't have this issue. At all. Still, we see this particular problem pop up every now and then.
NM has a deadly combo of intense sun, and clear air, cloudless days, and thin dry air at elevation doesn't transfer much heat away from hot surfaces . great for solar production with PV, but bakes the crap out of anything else.

A black surface (like the back of our displays) can easily heat to 150F-160F, especially if inside a closed space where ambient can rise to over 120F in less than 30 minutes.

I'd guess that the chips in the display are specced for 160F, but struggle above that. Elevated temps are the death of electronics usually, so I really think some screening/ventilation would extend the life of the displays.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
NM has a deadly combo of intense sun, and clear air, cloudless days, and thin dry air at elevation doesn't transfer much heat away from hot surfaces . great for solar production with PV, but bakes the crap out of anything else.

A black surface (like the back of our displays) can easily heat to 150F-160F, especially if inside a closed space where ambient can rise to over 120F in less than 30 minutes.

I'd guess that the chips in the display are specced for 160F, but struggle above that. Elevated temps are the death of electronics usually, so I really think some screening/ventilation would extend the life of the displays.
If you have the Select model I don't think that comes with the Infrared Reflective IRR windshield. Sounds like you need some clear ceramic tint on the windshield and maybe ceramic tint the side/back windows too.

My car has the IRR windshield and the dash is never too hot to touch. I added ceramic tint to the side and back windows and it was a huge help in direct sunlight (though it's not that hot here in MI).

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
If you have the Select model I don't think that comes with the Infrared Reflective IRR windshield. Sounds like you need some clear ceramic tint on the windshield and maybe ceramic tint the side/back windows too.

My car has the IRR windshield and the dash is never too hot to touch. I added ceramic tint to the side and back windows and it was a huge help in direct sunlight (though it's not that hot here in MI).
I do have a Select.... without any 'comfort package', so no extra anything.... no pano roof glass either.

I may go for tinting, and strongly considering the rain/wind window surrounds so I can leave my windows cracked when parked and not have to worry about our typical late afternoon 10 minute thunderstorms..... but I'd really like something specifically for the Display that is quick, easy, and not expensive.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

I was born and raised in Albuqueque. Believe me when I say that NM is nothing compared to Arizona or Hawaii. The sun here in Arizona is brutal. In Hawaii it is even one or two steps worse.

Your display should easily be able to handle the sun exposure through the windshield. I have yet to experience any such issues like you describe. However......I DO have a strip of visor tint across the top of my windshield. I usually add that to all my cars. That may be the difference here. You might give that a try. I'll try and find a photo....

20210410_113853.jpg

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Why can't you pack ice around it, taken from the frunk, which you access via the frunk button on your FordPass app?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Fix(es) for Display Overheating nevermind

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Very good point. I forgot about that IRR windshield. That might be the difference here.

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
Shortly after I took delivery of my MME, I noticed I had a repeatable problem with the center display screen going black when it overheated. This occurred not just when parking in the sun, but even when driving South since the back of the display sticks up, is black, and has no ventilation.

I took some pictures, verified it was temperature related, brought the car in and the Dealer replaced the entire display.... and it has worked ok for the last year.... BUT lately has been acting 'weird', and seems to be processing slowly, and PAAK takes a while to re-connect when the screen is hot.

So, I have started putting a hat on the console display when driving, or parking in the sun, and it seems to have really helped.

This is obviously not a 'great' solution, and I may get back to trying something more elegant like a shade screen on the backside of the monitor, but for now it does seem to have improved the monitor performance, and keeps it noticeably cooler, which has to be better for a display/computer. I thought I'd start a thread to see if other people have noticed issues when your display heats up, and what you may have done to solve it.

perhaps @AOSK could design a combo phone holder/display back shade that would be a slicker solution?!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Fix(es) for Display Overheating nevermind
https://www.amazon.com/AOSKonology-...ries/dp/B09V7MNJGC?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

do you think something like this would help?

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Last edited:

Engelbert

First Name
Engelbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium XR AWD
Country flag
I have an AOSK storage box and have found it very useful for holding keys and especially phones. Never considered using it to shield the back of the display from inbound solar radiation (less of an issue in the mid-Atlantic), but I suppose it probably does a good job of that too. 😊

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
I have an AOSK storage box and have found it very useful for holding keys and especially phones. Never considered using it to shield the back of the display from inbound solar radiation (less of an issue in the mid-Atlantic), but I suppose it probably does a good job of that too. 😊
yeah, we never thought that this product could be used for that purpose
Sponsored