Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
Sacrilege for some, but I need to run my Mach-E through my local car wash today, since it’s coated with salt.

My local wash, owned by a friend, is new, having just opened recently. As such, rather than a single metal track with rollers, it uses a full-width, double-track plastic conveyer with plastic wedges on one side that move the car through the wash.

When a car drives onto the belt, you shift to N, and the front wheels do not turn, as the conveyer pulls the car. Until the car is fully on the conveyer, the rear wheels must freely turn.

My assumption is that I should shift into ’temporary neutral’ but turning the selector to N and then pressing the L button. Is this correct, and if so, can I leave the car ‘on’ during the wash?

You can see video of the conveyer on my friend’s website (which yours truly designed and coded for her). The conveyer can be seen about :20 into the video:

http://mickeyscarwash.com
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Are you staying in the car? If so, just put it in neutral. If you’re getting out of the car, then you need to push “L” to tell the car not to shift back to park when you open the door.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Also, if you shut the car off, you will need “L” to prevent the car from shifting to Park when you turn the car off. If you stay in and leave the car on/running, then Neutral remains neutral.

OP
OP
oadesign

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Are you staying in the car? If so, just put it in neutral. If you’re getting out of the car, then you need to push “L” to tell the car not to shift back to park when you open the door.
Yes, staying in the car.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Are you staying in the car? If so, just put it in neutral.
That actually depends. If you have auto hold enable, the brake will engage when you come to a stop and won't release when shifting to Neurtal unless you hit the L button afterwards. In general, it's good to get in the habit of pressing the L button after shifting to Neutral if you really want it to stay in Neutral since that should work in all circumstances.

OP
OP
oadesign

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That actually depends. If you have auto hold enable, the brake will engage when you come to a stop and won't release when shifting to Neurtal unless you hit the L button afterwards. In general, it's good to get in the habit of pressing the L button after shifting to Neutral if you really want it to stay in Neutral since that should work in all circumstances.
Thanks for the clarification! I am nervous about taking it through, so just want to be sure to avoid any issues. It’s single-digit temps here, so a hose and bucket are out of the question!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thanks for the clarification! I am nervous about taking it through, so just want to be sure to avoid any issues. It’s single-digit temps here, so a hose and bucket are out of the question!
When it's well below freezing, I think you're better off leaving the salt on the car until it warms up some. Ice can form in all sorts of crevices after a car wash in these temps, and the MME has a lot of them.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
You can relieve your nervousness by finding a small incline somewhere, shifting to neutral, pushing L, then coming off the brake. The car will roll as it is supposed to.

I agree with not washing a car in frigid temps, no good can come of it. I washed both of ours on Wednesday when it got to 40 degrees. Yesterday, had to run an errand and noticed that a drip of water from the hatch area had left a trail of ice down the back. 15 right now, with frigid temps forecast.

OP
OP
oadesign

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You can relieve your nervousness by finding a small incline somewhere, shifting to neutral, pushing L, then coming off the brake. The car will roll as it is supposed to.

I agree with not washing a car in frigid temps, no good can come of it. I washed both of ours on Wednesday when it got to 40 degrees. Yesterday, had to run an errand and noticed that a drip of water from the hatch area had left a trail of ice down the back. 15 right now, with frigid temps forecast.
Mine will go straight into my garage, so should have ample 'drying time!' :)

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
MIne is in a garage (unheated), and did not freeze in the garage. Water ran out while driving, and froze on the car.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
MIne is in a garage (unheated), and did not freeze in the garage. Water ran out while driving, and froze on the car.
I keep the garage at 45F. After a wash, sitting overnight is enough to dry everything. Just a little heat lowers the humidity enough to speed up the evaporation (I guess).

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Is this only if you use Auto Hold and 1PD off? I have auto hold but use 1PD, and just have to put it in neutral for it to roll freely.

OP
OP
oadesign

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Is this only if you use Auto Hold and 1PD off? I have auto hold but use 1PD, and just have to put it in neutral for it to roll freely.
My assumption is that N will override OPD (which I also use)...

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Not if you touched the brake while putting it into N. The auto hold will not release just because you put it in N without pushing L. I don't think it has anything to do with 1PD. I use 1PD and disabled Auto Hold for this exact reason. Without Auto Hold N will allow it to roll even with 1PD.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Flat-conveyer car wash = N+L? Screenshot_20220121-071924
Sponsored

Last edited: