Florida Drivers Beware! Love Bug season has begun!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Having lived in Tampa and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale areas for many years, I have *never* *ever* seen anything like this at all.

That's impressive, and gross.

I don't recall love bugs being a problem whatsoever. The (literally) bigger issue driving on Florida highways and turnpikes is the dragonflies. And they're not such a big deal in my opinion.

OP
OP
RockwallRick

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Having lived in Tampa and Miami/Ft. Lauderdale areas for many years, I have *never* *ever* seen anything like this at all.

That's impressive, and gross.

I don't recall love bugs being a problem whatsoever. The (literally) bigger issue driving on Florida highways and turnpikes is the dragonflies. And they're not such a big deal in my opinion.
Have you driven across Florida on Hwy 60 or down to Miami on Hwy 27? I have been caught in massive swarms of them that will leave your car looking like that!!! To be honest, it has been a long time since I have seen anything like that down here! So far this year not too bad, I only killed 4 pairs yesterday! Lol

OP
OP
RockwallRick

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
One thing I forgot to mention, you can avoid them by traveling at night! On the down side, there’s millions of other bugs out at night!! Lol

OP
OP
RockwallRick

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
As of today still have not seen any massive swarms but they are getting worse day by day! I hit more today on a 30 mile drive than I did Monday on a 60 mile drive!

OrchidMania

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Premium ER
Occupation
Retired IT, School Math Volunteer
Country flag
As of today still have not seen any massive swarms but they are getting worse day by day! I hit more today on a 30 mile drive than I did Monday on a 60 mile drive!
I wonder if the heat keeps them from Miami area. I remember (barely) a student at UF, I expected them to get to Miami. Now I am wondering if it too hot here for them. They seem like they really havent spread the way I expected. The elements seems perfect for the area around Gainesville and a 40-60 mile radius.

OP
OP
RockwallRick

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I wonder if the heat keeps them from Miami area. I remember (barely) a student at UF, I expected them to get to Miami. Now I am wondering if it too hot here for them. They seem like they really havent spread the way I expected. The elements seems perfect for the area around Gainesville and a 40-60 mile radius.
I used to commute weekly from Central Florida down to Miami on Hwy 27. They were never that bad in Miami but up around Lake Okeechobee near Clewiston and Moore Haven is where they would be swarming!! The heat brings them out during the day so definitely not too hot in Miami for them!

tdwatts

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang mach-e; Porsche Cayenne
Country flag
They are bad in south Alabama, too.

After a road trip yesterday, I found out that my car wash membership allows only one car wash per day.

Bill S

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Prem ER eAWD, 18 Tesla M3, 64 Falcon Sprint
Country flag
So on virgin paint you have 4 days to get them off. They are real and they are here now. I keep a wash bucket and panty hose ready for scrubbing in season. Takes a few minutes and they are gone. Hey, think of it this way. For every pair you take out, a 100 won't get born.

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Try driving over Lake Jesup near Orlando on a summer night, omg, they even have road signs warning about insect swarms, it’s crazy.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Same problem driving up the I5 in California where half of our food is grown and most of the bugs are the size of a golf ball what you need to do is put a thin coat of wax all over the front of your car and you can wax them right off. They never get to the paint

When I drive up the I5 in California I’m more worried about the added bug weight cutting into my range

Jes sayin

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
LOL

Just showed the wife the love bug picture and she wants to try that later….?

she’s a keeper. I may need some Soma or Oxy though.
Jes sayin

OP
OP
RockwallRick

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I have heard that they will come off easily using dryer sheets. Has anybody else tried that? I will be checking the front end daily from now on throughout the month of May!

OP
OP
RockwallRick

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I put another coat of Ceramic detailer on the front end. When my Wife comes back today I will do another Love bug check and debug it again. I could NOT live in Florida if we had to deal with this year round!!! :(
Sponsored