Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
So this past week we finished our first real vacation in 4+ years.

IMG_20220704_184847529.jpg

The drive round trip-
Daytona Beach- Washington DC -Portland Maine- Mount Washington-Blue Ridge Parkway- Daytona Beach

Most of this trip could be classified under enforced moderation. Thanks to a limited range SR batter and Walmart charge stops we made a point of never driving over 8 hours in one day. Usually with only 3 stops on longer legs and up on northern legs from Pennsylvania to Maine only 2 stops.

We took a route that put us through the Deleware River gap in PA, this enabled the happy fact that we avoided New Jersey and it's environs completely.

I do not like Walmarts.

DC- Parked the car in a garage for the duration of our visit and took the Metro.

Driving Highlights-
Cross country thru Taneytown Maryland. Rustic rolling farmland with winding roads. No traffic and really nice roads.

Maine Coast- Shore road from Ogunquit to York is winding and a challenge. A bit too much traffic and blind curves to really enjoy. I grew up running this road in a buddys VW Rabbit and remembers it as a much more fun drive.

Mount Washington - this got it's own thread. A bit unnerving but a right of passage that should be done for every generation.

Deleware River gap- Did this at dusk going and in the morning coming. Watch for deer 🦌 as the sun goes down. No NJ!

Screenshot_20220705-070612-272.png

Blue Ridge Parkway-. Driving joy highlight here. We took the first 40 miles form Waynesboro and exited using 60 Lexington Turnpike to Lynchburg Virginia.. The Views and driving on the blue ridge are great and we took it very easy on this road. 60 off the Blue ride was pretty fun as well and lacking the "tourist" credentials of the Parkway. The posted speed limit in sections was quite high for the amount of curve carving required. The heft and skinny rubber of our Select became apparent for the only time on the trip. The car did it but the tires protested with that slightly satisfying sound that you know is their lifespan being shortened..

Thanks to Ford for 500kw free, it took us a 18 months but we finally used it to travel North for no fuel cost.

I have not done an official tally but believe fuel costs for the entire return leg was roughly $140. (31 cents kw), this may be lower as the pay per minute chargers always seemed the better deal as long as you quit at 80%.

No significant problems with Electrify America on this trip. Had 3 bad machines and only had to wait for a charger once in Virginia.

Used EV Go once with no problem.

Tried getting hotels with chargers on the trip north. After two failures, one because of broken chargers and the other a set of Tesla hogging them all night we just gave up on hotel charging. Time and money is better spent on a decent cheap hotel (Best Western) and use the saving on DCFC over staying at a Hilton and getting pissed at a Tesla driver.

Last edited:

adamtbest

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting on my Mustang Mach E Select AWD on order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Thank you for posting about a positive road trip. I'm waiting for my Mach E to be built, hopefully this month. We are looking to drive from Ohio to North Carolina in Spring '23. Not having a Mach E yet, I was a little nervous. Looking at A better route, plug share, charge point and Electrify America apps I think we'll be ok.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag

IMG_20220704_184847529.jpg

The drive round trip-
Daytona Beach- Washington DC -Portland Maine- Mount Washington-Blue Ridge Parkway- Daytona Beach

Most of this trip could be classified under enforced moderation. Thanks to a limited range SR batter and Walmart charge stops we made a point of never driving over 8 hours in one day. Usually with only 3 stops on longer legs and up on northern legs from Pennsylvania to Maine only 2 stops.

We took a route that put us through the Deleware River gap in PA, this enabled the happy fact that we avoided New Jersey and it's environs completely.

I do not like Walmarts.

DC- Parked the car in a garage for the duration of our visit and took the Metro.

Driving Highlights-
Cross country thru Taneytown Maryland. Rustic rolling farmland with winding roads. No traffic and really nice roads.

Maine Coast- Shore road from Ogunquit to York is winding and a challenge. A bit too much traffic and blind curves to really enjoy. I grew up running this road in a buddys VW Rabbit and remembers it as a much more fun drive.

Mount Washington - this got it's own thread. A bit unnerving but a right of passage that should be done for every generation.

Deleware River gap- Did this at dusk going and in the morning coming. Watch for deer 🦌 as the sun goes down. No NJ!

Screenshot_20220705-070612-272.png

Blue Ridge Parkway-. Driving joy highlight here. We took the first 40 miles form Waynesboro and exited using 60 Lexington Turnpike to Lynchburg Virginia.. The Views and driving on the blue ridge are great and we took it very easy on this road. 60 off the Blue ride was pretty fun as well and lacking the "tourist" credentials of the Parkway. The posted speed limit in sections was quite high for the amount of curve carving required. The heft and skinny rubber of our Select became apparent for the only time on the trip. The car did it but the tires protested with that slightly satisfying sound that you know is their lifespan being shortened..

Thanks to Ford for 500kw free, it took us a 18 months but we finally used it to travel North for no fuel cost.

I have not done an official tally but believe fuel costs for the entire return leg was roughly $140. (31 cents kw), this may be lower as the pay per minute chargers always seemed the better deal as long as you quit at 80%.

No significant problems with Electrify America on this trip. Had 3 bad machines and only had to wait for a charger once in Virginia.

Tried getting hotels with chargers on the trip north. After two failures, one because of broken chargers and the other a set of Tesla hogging them all night we just gave up on hotel charging. Time and money is better spent on a decent cheap hotel (Best Western) and use the saving on DCFC over staying at a Hilton and getting pissed at a Tesla driver.
Rt 209 used to be called the HO Chi MInh Highway by truckers. In the seventies one died every day there. Thankfully they rebuilt it in the 90's. Thanks for posting this.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thank you for posting about a positive road trip. I'm waiting for my Mach E to be built, hopefully this month. We are looking to drive from Ohio to North Carolina in Spring '23. Not having a Mach E yet, I was a little nervous. Looking at A better route, plug share, charge point and Electrify America apps I think we'll be ok.
ABRP will guide you well. West Virginia doesn't have a single high speed charger (i.e. EA 150/350) in the whole state, so you have to go around it.

Mach Tuch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order 23 MME GT, 08 Mustang GT Vert, 19 Audi Q7
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Florida to Maine and Back again in a Mach-E RWD Select - Road Trip Report Screenshot_20220705-070612-272

The drive round trip-

I do not like Walmarts.

Driving Highlights-

Ford Mustang Mach-E Florida to Maine and Back again in a Mach-E RWD Select - Road Trip Report Screenshot_20220705-070612-272

Glad you enjoyed yourself.
You got a problem with Jersey?

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Congratulations! I hope you enjoyed my home State of Maine.

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select Mach E+Comfort and Tech, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
I have a AWD Select, at 100% on a hot summers day I get 220 miles.

Since I almost never charge to 100 - at 80% i get roughy 180 ish I think.

Only thing I would have done differently with this car would be to get the extended range. I do 110 mile one way trips OFTEN.

Not mad at the car or Ford. I knew what I signed up for. Electrify America has done me well. Kudos to them. I almost never charge anywhere else if I don't have to since I trust them so much.

OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Glad you enjoyed yourself.
You got a problem with Jersey?
Tolls. Lot of tolls. Also had a 78 280z throw a timing belt on the turnpike and was lucky enough to have a trooper push me off as AAA was not allowed on (mid 90s). Oh, and that time I got a spoiled chocolate milk at a rest stop Roy Rogers still urks me also.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Tolls. Lot of tolls. Also had a 78 280z throw a timing belt on the turnpike and was lucky enough to have a trooper push me off as AAA was not allowed on (mid 90s). Oh, and that time I got a spoiled chocolate milk at a rest stop Roy Rogers still urks me also.
But they pump your gas for you …….

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I am currently on a mini Florida road trip and will be returning home today. This has been my first time using BC and Hotel L2 charging. The Hotel has 2 Tesla and 1 CCS charger available. I have basically been topping off the car every day before the parking lot fills up at night. So far so good and no need for a Tesla Tap!

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

The drive round trip-

Most of this trip could be classified under enforced moderation. Thanks to a limited range SR batter and Walmart charge stops we made a point of never driving over 8 hours in one day.

sounds like a great trip, and successful charging with a fair amount of DCFC and no problems.

I am wondering if you could describe your 'usual protocol' for DCFC ?
Do you typically try to end charge at 80% or so?
Exactly how do you terminate charge before pulling the plug?
Do you wait before getting back out on the highway; leaving car 'on', or 'off' ?

OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Was using plug n charge until we ran out of free. Just plug it in and away it went.

After free ended turned off plug n charge and signed up for a month of EA. $4. Open app, finds station in app. plugg in, slide station to charge.

When to desired level hit button on MachE near plug, wait a two count, unplug.
sounds like a great trip, and successful charging with a fair amount of DCFC and no problems.

I am wondering if you could describe your 'usual protocol' for DCFC ?
Do you typically try to end charge at 80% or so?
Exactly how do you terminate charge before pulling the plug?
Do you wait before getting back out on the highway; leaving car 'on', or 'off' ?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
When to desired level hit button on MachE near plug, wait a two count, unplug.
that's the info I was looking for.... the 'two count' after hitting 'unlock' button ;)

....and how about cooling before hitting the road after a charge? did you turn car off/on during charge? leave it on? just jump in after chanrge and get back on the road?

OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
that's the info I was looking for.... the 'two count' after hitting 'unlock' button ;)

....and how about cooling before hitting the road after a charge? did you turn car off/on during charge? leave it on? just jump in after chanrge and get back on the road?
Gave no consideration to cooling. Only above 90 degrees ambiant did the louvers open and fans run at the start of charging. Never noticed the fans running on returning to the car. I turned it on and waited in AC down south. I would stand under a tree if the weather was cooler. Only so much sitting one wants to do.

I do wish they would put trash cans at the chargers. Maybe a nice tree and picknick table....

CarDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER Premium 2022
Country flag
I've used Eletrifcy America for all my fast charging in the southeast. It has been great, with no issues. I am thinking about a NE trip later this year, thanks for sharing your experience.
Sponsored