David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Key fobs do go to "sleep" if not used for a while. It is possible that the fob was just asleep and not actually dead. I'd test the battery in the fob to make sure it actually died.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The key doesn't know it's in foil. It just does its job, which includes using energy to emit radiation periodically so that you can conveniently open a car door without touching the key.

This is why @SnBGC has constantly advised removing the battery rather than messing around with incomplete attempts at incomplete attenuation.
This. The correct answer is to simply stash a fob without a battery in the car and place it into the fob holder if you need to use it. Or store a battery in the car as well and pop it in the fob when you need to use the fob.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
This. The correct answer is to simply stash a fob without a battery in the car and place it into the fob holder if you need to use it. Or store a battery in the car as well and pop it in the fob when you need to use the fob.
well great, next time I store a Fob for any length of time, I'll remove battery

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have been using PAAK almost exclusively for my (almost 2 years) of Ownership. The Fob has been wrapped in foil and hidden in the cabin for emergencies; used twice when I left car at the Dealership, and once at a tire shop when I got new shoes.

Gave my wife the Fob to use the car today.... battery is dead as a doornail, which is bad. Wife is unhappy, which is worse. She did NOT take kindly to being locked out, because she did know and doesn't want to remember the door pillar code or PAAK backup code.

...even worse, I only got one Fob with car

1. was there a SSM, or CSP or something giving away second Fobs to those of us delivered with one?

2. How long are these batteries supposed to last? is this a replacement under warranty at no cost at Dealership?
Funny you mention that I only use PAAK and keep a FOB hidden in the car in a Faraday bag I got my car July 2021 also just 1 FOB. My battery died this week as well. I almost got totally stuck could not get the car to recognize my phone reach in to open the FOB and that didn't work found out the battery was dead I was in the parking lot for about 7 mins I finally put it in the FOB holder inside the storage box and it connected. So yes not even 2 months of battery life on the FOB. BTW did you get the letter from Ford that Job 1 cars qualify for a additional FOB? I just got mine this week. But had the new FOB at home so it didnt help.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Funny you mention that I only use PAAK and keep a FOB hidden in the car in a Faraday bag I got my car July 2021 also just 1 FOB. My battery died this week as well. I almost got totally stuck could not get the car to recognize my phone reach in to open the FOB and that didn't work found out the battery was dead I was in the parking lot for about 7 mins I finally put it in the FOB holder inside the storage box and it connected. So yes not even 2 months of battery life on the FOB. BTW did you get the letter from Ford that Job 1 cars qualify for a additional FOB? I just got mine this week. But had the new FOB at home so it didnt help.
I'll go get a battery tomorrow.... but it was really bad timing for me today. Sending Ford the marriage counseling Bill probably won't help.

MisterSofa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Corolla, 2022 Ford MachE Premium AWD
Country flag
come on... That's too easy....

Instead of picking up a CR2450 battery from a local store, wouldn't it be better to go to your local Ford dealer, wait for an available advisor, ask them to write up a warranty ticket for the key fob battery, wait for parts to pull the battery, send it to a tech to install the battery, give the paperwork back to the advisor so they could book the warranty time, print out the invoice for signatures and then go out to test it?

Wait... Now I see what you were saying originally....šŸ¤£

How To Video
He will probably ask for a loaner car.

SpongeBad

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang MACH E, 2013 Ford Escape
Country flag
come on... That's too easy....

Instead of picking up a CR2450 battery from a local store, wouldn't it be better to go to your local Ford dealer, wait for an available advisor, ask them to write up a warranty ticket for the key fob battery, wait for parts to pull the battery, send it to a tech to install the battery, give the paperwork back to the advisor so they could book the warranty time, print out the invoice for signatures and then go out to test it?

Wait... Now I see what you were saying originally....šŸ¤£

How To Video
After taking a quick look at that video, these key fobs looks much easier to open than the one I used to have for my 2012 Ford Focus. Opening that one involved at least 20 minutes of swearing and stabbing your hand repeatedly with whatever tool you were using to try and pry it open.

axelheimer24

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22ā€™ MME Premium ER eAWD Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
It's possible Ford bought the cheapest, lowest capacity battery to put in the FOB. I've usually gone 5+ years without replacing my FOB batteries.

The more likely explanation is that you stored the key inside the car, and it was constantly 'on' in the vehicle 24/7. Yes, you wrapped it in tin foil, but...

https://www.thv11.com/article/news/...rotect-your-key-fob-from-thieves/91-621292854

"Your key fob in tin foil or aluminum foil, it may dampen the signal depending upon how close you are, but it won't completely eliminate it."
ā€œIf you do want to protect your key fob from amplified signals overnight, the best and cheapest way- is to stick it in the fridge.ā€

Didnā€™t see that advice coming!šŸ˜‚

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I have been using PAAK almost exclusively for my (almost 2 years) of Ownership. The Fob has been wrapped in foil and hidden in the cabin for emergencies; used twice when I left car at the Dealership, and once at a tire shop when I got new shoes.

Gave my wife the Fob to use the car today.... battery is dead as a doornail, which is bad. Wife is unhappy, which is worse. She did NOT take kindly to being locked out, because she did know and doesn't want to remember the door pillar code or PAAK backup code.

...even worse, I only got one Fob with car

1. was there a SSM, or CSP or something giving away second Fobs to those of us delivered with one?

2. How long are these batteries supposed to last? is this a replacement under warranty at no cost at Dealership?
Purchased a Lightning fob in October to get the frunk button.

Dealer Parts Dept had to order one for me so it was as new as they get. New model. New order.

Checked the battery on a whim and it needed replacement. Not dead but not fresh.
Sponsored