For everyone saying the Mach E recalls are ridiculous...

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Someone else's f*ck up doesn't excuse Ford's...
How exactly did Ford screw up? Did they not test enough batches or undersized the contactor specifically? The presence of a problem doesn't necessarily infer a screw up so I'm genuinely interested in your input on this one. I lived through the Bolt saga and saw how and where the blame actually lied and how it was a very grey area kind of thing.

Just curious.
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
How exactly did Ford screw up? Did they not test enough batches or undersized the contactor specifically? The presence of a problem doesn't necessarily infer a screw up so I'm genuinely interested in your input on this one. I lived through the Bolt saga and saw how and where the blame actually lied and how it was a very grey area kind of thing.

Just curious.
Their recall, FAQ and public admission that "The design and part-to-part variation of the high voltage battery main contactor is not robust ..."

They have admitted that the "design" was not "robust". Even if the part is sourced, which it likely is, it's on them to provide the specifications to the 3rd party mfg to build a part robust enough to handle the heat and load that is necessary for the vehicle to perform correctly.

So yes, someone at Ford f*cked up and designed or spec'd a part that was insufficient under what most people would consider normal driving conditions (charging your car).

Ford Mustang Mach-E For everyone saying the Mach E recalls are ridiculous... 1656034308682

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Their recall, FAQ and public admission that "The design and part-to-part variation of the high voltage battery main contactor is not robust ..."

They have admitted that the "design" was not "robust". Even if the part is sourced, which it likely is, it's on them to provide the specifications to the 3rd party mfg to build a part robust enough to handle the heat and load that is necessary for the vehicle to perform correctly.

So yes, someone at Ford f*cked up and designed or spec'd a part that was insufficient under what most people would consider normal driving conditions (charging your car).

Ford Mustang Mach-E For everyone saying the Mach E recalls are ridiculous... 1656034308682
Maybe they needed Munroā€™s specially designed bolts to make it work properly.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I havenā€™t had a car in the last 15 years that hasnā€™t had a recall at some point. I just get the work done and donā€™t worry about it.
My ā€˜17 Honda Accord Hybrid has never had a recall. Just luck of the draw.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Lookā€¦the airbag sensor issue cost Takata billions and recalls are still happening. Hopefully these will be fixed quickly when the parts are available.

schulmeia

First Name
Arnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang mach e
Occupation
Nuclear Engineer
Country flag

Well with all that said ot appears if Ford is going to rollout a software fix for this problem, it looks like the vehicle performance will be sacrificed to overcome the contactor problem. That woukd be the only way to reduce overheating of contactors. The only true way to fix it without reducing performance would be to replace the contactors with one's that could handle the current load and the heat generation.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
I'd rather have wheel bolt problem than something that will affect performance and without a real fix

redranger04g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME SR RWD Ice White, 2015 Ford F-150
Country flag

1656034308682.png
Just playing devils advocate, if the part was sourced and Ford specified the correct requirements, couldnā€™t it be the part manufacturerā€™s fault if they sold a part listed to meet a certain requirement which it may not have met?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Just playing devils advocate, if the part was sourced and Ford specified the correct requirements, couldnā€™t it be the part manufacturerā€™s fault if they sold a part listed to meet a certain requirement which it may not have met?
You must have missed the "design" part. Design is before manufacture. If they outsourced the design too, then they are taking the blame for someone else, likely because it's still their job to verify the part will work correctly. The buck stops with them. It's their car.

I have thousands of posts, mostly helping people and being optimistic about the MME. But let's call a spade a spade, they f*cked this one up and they've said as much in their own words.

rcechinel

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
You must have missed the "design" part. Design is before manufacture. If they outsourced the design too, then they are taking the blame for someone else, likely because it's still their job to verify the part will work correctly. The buck stops with them. It's their car.

I have thousands of posts, mostly helping people and being optimistic about the MME. But let's call a spade a spade, they f*cked this one up and they've said as much in their own words.
There's no other way of looking at this, @redranger04g. Let's be realistic and not fan boys.

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Thinking ours is a e-train problem so according to warranty whatever the fix will be it will need to last. I do not think dropping the power in half will last. I just need to relax and see what does happens. Can't get all those parts overnight if that is even the ultimate goal and thank you ford for letting us keep driving them.

Drive it like you stole it it is still under warranty ;). Lets see who can burn up the most contacts :p. LG baby.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag

redranger04g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME SR RWD Ice White, 2015 Ford F-150
Country flag

I was just having the discussion, no need to get all defensive, this is a forum after all. I agree any manufacturer with a recall is at fault no matter how you look at it, itā€™s their product. My question was about how is at fault if it wasnā€™t manufactured by Ford. For example, Ford doesnā€™t make their own batteries and share actually share batteries with other car manufacturers (albeit with different specs). So if those batteries start spontaneously combusting whoā€™s fault is it? Ford will obviously be responsible, but do they have their own legal recourses to recoup financial loses. Again, just a question, Iā€™m not arguing this is the case so try not to get too offended. We get it youā€™re very helpful to all and all knowledgeable.

There's no other way at looking at this, @redranger04g. Let's be realistic and not fan boys.
Gotcha, youā€™re right, Ford is the worst, selling my MME.
Sponsored