For new owners: is it worth it?

Musbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
This forum has been a great resource of information and I'm not sure I would have waited this long without it. I read it pretty much every day. Lots of very knowledgeable people here and the few insiders are awesome. I think it's fair to say that this is a high-end car in terms of cost and for most of us a luxury that we can afford. All that said, is it worth it given some of the problems new owners are having? I'm about two to three weeks from getting mine. While certainly not ideal and for a little while, I think I can live with the existing bugs and potential battery problems for a car that seems to be better than most, if not all, comparable EVs out there. But I don't own one. For those of you who have yours and particularly those with problems, is it worth it or knowing what you know now, would you have waited?
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Yes, I want to replace our other car with one now..

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Short answer for me is "yes".
My background is technical (nerd). Electrical engineering and I.T. I've long been fascinated by electric vehicles but never had anything to push me over the edge to make a purchase. I'm also a classic Mustang guy. So when Ford announced the Mach-E, that was my perfect storm. I watched the intro production and placed my reservation immediately when it was over.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
This forum has been a great resource of information and I'm not sure I would have waited this long without it. I read it pretty much every day. Lots of very knowledgeable people here and the few insiders are awesome. I think it's fair to say that this is a high-end car in terms of cost and for most of us a luxury that we can afford. All that said, is it worth it given some of the problems new owners are having? I'm about two to three weeks from getting mine. While certainly not ideal and for a little while, I think I can live with the existing bugs and potential battery problems for a car that seems to be better than most, if not all, comparable EVs out there. But I don't own one. For those of you who have yours and particularly those with problems, is it worth it or knowing what you know now, would you have waited?
Is it worth it, yes. Would I have waited, no.

My car was an early-ish build too (Dec 17th, 2020) actually built a week before @ChasingCoral's car. I've had it almost a month now with 1,270 miles on it with no mechanical/battery issues.

I'm not trying to minimize those that have had issues because having problems with a brand new car sucks, but I think some context is in order too and I think these new owners with issues would agree. Yes, this is a new platform and a ground up new vehicle so there will be issues, we knew that was possible. This is what happens with early adopters, we're the bleeding edge of this product. Thankfully I think Ford is going to try very, very hard to fix any issues that crop up.

But also remember for every one you hear about with issues there are 98/99 that you don't hear about that have no issues.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
I took delivery of mine a few days ago, our first EV. I’ve always been curious about what makes EVs so darn appealing to their owners...it seems those owners become enamored with their EV and don’t want to ever go back to an ICE vehicle. I get it now. I don’t know how to describe it, but I get it. I might buy an old ICE vehicle someday if it has some classic redeeming qualities and would make a nice occasional toy, but I will never be shopping for another new car that isn’t an EV.

Apart from the EV nature of this car, Ford did a really good job with it. My gripes at this point are pretty minor and probably all software related...something I’m confident Ford will address with software updates in time. The Mach-E is an exceptional vehicle and you won’t be disappointed.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
It's a simple answer like others - YES, and the full federal tax rebates will start to expire most likely next year or the year after. The MY2021 will sell roughly ~20K US in 2021, MY22 could be about the same in 21. This could leave roughly 25k to sell off with the full tax credit, they could also ramp up sales where the full rebate status could be unknown. Also you don't know if that will continue or even change where it does not apply to a price range or income status. Lots of unknown right now in this area with the new administration. The finance % is also super low, not sure how that will fair later on. Also rebates in some states will expire or other additional tax credits will phase out.

Also note the issues you read on the forum are magnified and still are only impacting a very small community. Software or hardware will get updates, things will evolve and for sure improve. It's a very solid platform / design and they going to sell well. So hop on and take delivery!!!!!

Manufacturer*Total Sales
2010 - June 2020**
# To
Reach
Tesla605,373-405,373
General Motors234,523-34,523
Nissan144,91355,087
Toyota Motor Corporation127,59372,407
Ford Motor Company123,03076,970

Last edited:

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
But also remember for every one you hear about with issues there are 98/99 that you don't hear about that have no issues.
I don't think we know that the ratio is that good. I kinda doubt it is. But your overall point still stands.

I don't own one yet, but I'm very excited to be getting one... in another 4-6 months. In fact, this is what I would prefer at this point based on the teething issues. I appreciate all you guys beta testing the early builds, and I hope you are enjoying all the head-turning when you're around town.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I might have waited, but it’s a close call. I‘ve driven EVs for the last 7 years (Volt/ Bolt). I wanted an EV with the reliability of my Bolt, that would go a little further on a charge, and wasn’t so ugly. (So my big 3 are looks/comfort, range, and reliability).

1. Looks/Comfort. My First Edition is a nice looking ride, inside and out, that’s quite comfortable (superior to the Bolt in all respects). Definite plus for the MMe

2. The MMe is much less efficient than the Bolt so, despite a 20% larger usable battery capacity, it seems to go about as far as the Bolt (I view it as a neutral factor).

3. Reliability. The FordPass app is unreliable (states I’m unplugged when I’m not) states in not charging (when I am), etc. The app’s functionality, even when it works, is poor compared to Chevy. PAAK is likewise unreliable (works when it wants to), but this feature wasn’t even available on the Bolt (so I view Paak as neutral). I have an early build (mid-November), but I’ve not had the 12v issue, and hopefully never will. Wind noise from the glass roof is an issue (and I note the leading edge of the roof is much higher than the windshield (especially in the middle), but I believe I can silicone the transition to dampen/eliminate the noise. In sum, it’s probably too early to make a call with regard to reliability.

All in, had I not sold the Bolt in anticipation of the MMe, I might have waited for either the MMe GT or the Cadillac LYRIQ. Even as I type this, however, I realize I’m not that patient, and the MMe was the right choice for the moment.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
The issues are exaggerated by the nature of this forum. Other than the 12v battery issue -- which I haven't seen (most likely because of where I live), and which Ford seems to have already have fixed --the issues are all connectivity issues which don't effect the vehicle or its driving experience. For example, is it a pain that HomeLink hasn't worked? Yes. Can I use a garage door opener? Yes. Or was it a pain to set up and reset up PAAK? Yes. Is it working now? Yes. If it doesn't work can I use the codes to open the door and start the MME? Yes.

The vehicle itself is impressive. Not sure I would say better than I expected -- my expectations were high -- but certainly I'm not disappointed. Perhaps the build quality and driving dynamics are better?

FWIW I don't think the tax credits should be a reason to buy now rather than later. I think there is a very good chance the tax credits come back. If they don't, the price of the MME will come down to account for that.

But I could have waited. Didn't want to but I could have.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yes. Two weeks in now and definite yes. I know everyone is different but you asked for personal opinion. I love this car. I had a couple of challenges with settings but that was just sorting through to figure out how I wanted things set (kind of at the same level as buying a new complex phone). the only tech glitch I had was a one time "1 pedal drive fault" that fixed itself after turning the car off and back on. I am not surprised to have a problem like that with an early car. I suspect it could happen again and I am okay with that--confident Ford will fix this relatively soon. The car itself is great--wonderful fit and finish, comfortable, good looking, and fun. This is my third EV (Leaf and Bolt) and this is a huge step up. Love it. Yes. Yes. Yes.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Would I have bought if I knew what I know now and waited? Probably do. We didn’t need a new car. We have a perfectly functional Leaf that does everything we need except road trip. The 100 mile range is just too short for long distance travel. I also haven’t seen any cars come to market that compete with what I wanted in the Mach E. The closest is the MY and we all know about Tesla’s woes. I might have gone with the eKona but it’s a little lacking. The ID.4 is close to market and the best competitor but lacks the excitement. In a few years there will be enough BEVs on the market that I wouldn’t have to wait. However that’s still not the case.

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
I have had my FE for 3 weeks now and it has 600 miles. I dropped my car off at the dealer an hour ago for the wind noise issue with the roof and I can still say it’s a fantastic car. The brand new loaner Fusion felt like it was an ancient vehicle in comparison.

If you have an order on it you have waited the majority of the time required already so the few additional weeks I wouldn’t think twice about taking delivery. The only reason I wouldn’t go back and wait the year and a half is because of how much uncertainty that adds to your situation if you have a lease like I did. It would’ve been a lot easier just getting another two year lease and after all the delays jumping right into a Mach-e after.

lotharik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, duh?
Country flag
It's worth it. It's also fun being an EV evangelist.

That being said, my personal situation was I needed a new car this year and couldn't wait until 2022. If I had a 5 year old car instead of a 10 year old car, I would have waited for a year to see what else came out.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
"The issues are exaggerated by the nature of this forum."

"FWIW I don't think the tax credits should be a reason to buy now rather than later. I think there is a very good chance the tax credits come back. If they don't, the price of the MME will come down to account for that."

Not sure I totally agree for my own reasons and or experiences, however there are some updates coming that will address some issues that do indeed exist. Some MME are impacted in different ways and it does not apply to all VINS. The DCFC (software or hardware) for example needs to be updated for some, it's not just pure pot lot that folks are having DCFC issues with either charge speed or getting it to register. Fewer folks are using the DCFC, which again I suggest testing before going on a long trip.

Agreed, it's a personal decision based on need, finances and desire. However some of the rebates, incentives and general tax policy can change. Could get better who knows, but it can change the cost of the MME in one direction or the other.

Good conversation, it will take time to sort out, but again the MME is wonderful to drive and thats what counts, plus it looks really cool!!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Musbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Thanks everyone! Really good perspectives. My current lease is up at the end of March so timing is pretty good. The only problem that really concerned me was the LVB but it seems like they have a fix for that. Now just hoping my dealer doesn't try anything funny.
Sponsored