For new owners: is it worth it?

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
I've had my MME for about a week - I canceled an order for a Bronco Sport Badlands when my dealer had this one become available. It was my first choice for a car and I was thrilled to get it.

I have had no issues at all apart from some minor complaints about the app and PAAK. I am actually shocked at how good it is in almost every conceivable way. The only thing I would have changed is the battery - the car I got was ordered with a SR battery and I wish I had the ER to give me more available range during Michigan winters. That's not the car's fault, obviously.

I know that I am far happier with the MME than I would have been with the Bronco Sport, and it isn't close.
Your signature says you have an Extended battery. :)
Sponsored

NancyF

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford Energi Titanium
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
This forum has been a great resource of information and I'm not sure I would have waited this long without it. I read it pretty much every day. Lots of very knowledgeable people here and the few insiders are awesome. I think it's fair to say that this is a high-end car in terms of cost and for most of us a luxury that we can afford. All that said, is it worth it given some of the problems new owners are having? I'm about two to three weeks from getting mine. While certainly not ideal and for a little while, I think I can live with the existing bugs and potential battery problems for a car that seems to be better than most, if not all, comparable EVs out there. But I don't own one. For those of you who have yours and particularly those with problems, is it worth it or knowing what you know now, would you have waited?
YES, YES, YES!!!! I got mine last week and it is absolutely wonderful. I love it. I have not experienced the issues some have written about in this forum. In fact, my car has been perfect. The last 17 months went by so slowly but I am so glad that I waited it out.

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I have a strong suspicion that the pedal input lag is software only. Electric motors provide 100% torque from 0 mph, so much so that they'll spin out tires if not restrained by software tuning.

Maybe Ford will change the initial response based on feedback, but it's always wise to assume it will stay as is.
Interesting, you may be right. Also, OTA for increasing the battery capacity from 88 to say about
95 or so?

lotharik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, duh?
Country flag
Interesting... I think something was turned on when I was testing the car - there was an image of a vehicle near the speed number on the display behind the wheel - I wonder if it had something to do with the "jiggly" behavior - I think I felt that when I was crossing lanes - not 100% sure, but I think that was it...
By default, the steering wheel will rumble as you go over lines, if your blinker is not on. Could that have been it?

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
By default, the steering wheel will rumble as you go over lines, if your blinker is not on. Could that have been it?
I always use the blinker (honest!) when changing lanes, it's just hard to remember now if I turned it in when I was close to a line that day or before making a move. I have another test scheduled in March, will try to check that behavior then. Though I was testing RWD model and this time looks like I will be testing AWD - a different car, probably with default settings different from the car I was testing earlier.

MrRossKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
My short answer is yes it’s worth it.

My long answer is a bunch of words explaining that it is a very cool car inside and out and that I’m extremely happy everyday with the vehicle even with the minor issues.

Yes.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I have a strong suspicion that the pedal input lag is software only. Electric motors provide 100% torque from 0 mph, so much so that they'll spin out tires if not restrained by software tuning.

Maybe Ford will change the initial response based on feedback, but it's always wise to assume it will stay as is.
Yeah I think they've tuned it to feel familiar to those who have driven Automatic transmissions. That isn't me though.

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Overall, I do like the MME. I got the Premium ER RWD and have a lot of the same feedback as @SteelMach. I'm down in Texas and have had it for about 1.5 weeks (didn't drive during the snows though).

Here's my feedback:
+ Exterior Looks: it's got nice curves ? Very sporty and iconic silver really makes the accents pop! Panoramic roof is really slick! Overall the MME looks way better than any Tesla in my opinion. Also definitely looks way better in person than just the pictures online in my opinion.
+ Ease of use: The button style door handle actually is something I really surprisingly enjoy, along with the kick to open liftgate. The door handle on the inside is nice as well and gives it great satisfying feel. Plus the fact that the MME knows when you're approaching or walking away is nice too so you don't forget to lock it.
+ Handling: you can definitely notice the difference between the three drive modes and I mainly go with Engage has it just feels like a good balance between Whisper and Unbridled. Turning radius is great on it compared to my 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. Kind of feels like I'm driving in a video game (e.g. think Cruis'n USA). ?
+ Comfort: The seats are comfortable and very similar to my MKZ. The seat warmers work really fast compared to my MKZ which is nice. The interior overall is just really well put together and relaxing. Side bolstering for the front seats aren't as pronounced as my MKZ though. Generally I don't hear a ton of road noise like others do, but again not as quiet as my MKZ.
+ Software configuration: I'm a techie and Computer Engineer in a past life, and LOVE that there's so many configurable options. I'm an Android guy so configuration doesn't scare me. That being said it can be overwhelming for some and I think Ford did a good job of hiding most in the advanced settings. Plus the tool tips are a nice touch!
= Storage Space: The actual storage space wasn't as much as I was expecting for a SUV. The frunk I basically don't use because it's a pain to open with the manual inside lever, and difficult to shut closed. The rear trunk is a nice sized space, but I was hoping to fit a lot more than just a stroller.
= Screen whine: I have this on mine, but it wasn't as noticeable as others have mentioned. If I'm trying to listen for it I'll hear it if I'm not driving, but generally don't hear it if there's music or I'm on the road.
- Motor whine: When I don't have the music on I can definitely hear the wine of the rear motor distinctly. Wasn't expecting that to be as loud.
- Bounce: I definitely noticed the bouncy ride as well compared to my MKZ Hybrid. The ride on the MME is just not as smooth in comparison, and even driving over nicely paved roads I still feel a lot of roll/bounce.
- Software performance: Let me caveat this by saying I am pretty judgy when it comes to good software and I do think this is where Tesla does shine compared to any of the traditional manufacturers. It's not easy to develop good software and Ford did a valiant effort with a newest version of Sync 4A compared to the old MFT version I had on my Lincoln MKZ. Aesthetically the UI looks great! However for performance, it is still sluggish and laggy compared to using a smartphone. Not nearly as bad again as the MKZ but not as seamless as a smartphone or Tesla. It's most noticeable when you're switching between tiles. Once you're within a tile it's very performant.
- Android Auto: I was on the verge of putting this as a neutral or positive. When I was running Android 10 on my Galaxy S10 Plus it was flawless and I really like that the Google map navigation turn by turn would show up in the front instrumentation cluster and the main display. That being said when I recently upgraded to Android 11 it no longer works at all. This is a known issue though and hopefully should be addressed soon and then this would bump back to a positive.
- Advanced driving features: The good side is that it recognizes speed limit signs really well. That being said most are cons. I've yet to successfully have the lane centering on cruise control work. Just intermittently cancels... Likely due to the local roads not having consistently marked lane lines, and this is where Tesla has a leg up. I'm sure you do better on highways. The lane keeping assist I would say is comparable to my 2013 Lincoln MKZ hybrid which wasn't all that great either for the same reason above. The automatic parking doesn't recognize parking lines so not as useful there. My wife wishes it had the Tesla auto park features to get it into / out of the garage ?
- Phone as a Key: I like the concept but execution hasn't been mind-blowing. I have it installed on my and my wife's phone and we still have issues with it. For instance, the MME not recognizing when we approach the car to unlock it so having to manually press unlock on the app or press the car open button multiple times and hope that it will eventually recognize, not recognizing that there's another PaaK in the car once the main user steps out. I think them only providing one key fob is really a big letdown cuz that's been consistently fine to use, and even my MKZ had 2 in the ability to pair them to profiles seamlessly.

Do I regret waiting this long for it? No, I don't regret waiting because I think it's a solid car. That being said if you're just putting an order now and delivery won't happen until end of this year, I don't know if I would wait. I think given a lot of the majors investing into EV now and releasing more options, if you're not in any rush I'd say wait until other options like the new Bolt, Ioniq 5, Toyota options, and others come out this year as they look intriguing too and definitely have good range, fast charging, and some interesting features.

Dirtman16

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Interesting, you may be right. Also, OTA for increasing the battery capacity from 88 to say about
95 or so?
Maybe. The problem with that is that you need to educate owners on possible battery degradation at high states of charge. Tesla has opted for that method, but I expect Tesla owners in general are a little more savy about that issue. Ford may just play it safe to leave a buffer, even when owners charge to 90-100% regularly.

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag
This forum has been a great resource of information and I'm not sure I would have waited this long without it. I read it pretty much every day. Lots of very knowledgeable people here and the few insiders are awesome. I think it's fair to say that this is a high-end car in terms of cost and for most of us a luxury that we can afford. All that said, is it worth it given some of the problems new owners are having? I'm about two to three weeks from getting mine. While certainly not ideal and for a little while, I think I can live with the existing bugs and potential battery problems for a car that seems to be better than most, if not all, comparable EVs out there. But I don't own one. For those of you who have yours and particularly those with problems, is it worth it or knowing what you know now, would you have waited?
Yes, I think it's worth it personally. I have all the issues with Android Auto and I cannot rely on PaaK consistently (it works sometimes, it doesn't other times), but to me those are all extras that I didn't have on my previous car.

Some people have had issues with batteries, but I don't think the issue is widespread. I'm in Canada where my car was outside for -16 degrees celcius without being plugged in all the time and I didn't get any issues. I'm also into some Facebook Group with people from my region with the MachE and again, haven't heard any one with the battery issues that we've had on this forum, so it's not a widespread issue.

But remove PaaK and Android Auto issues, the car itself handles really well. It's luxirious, anything that's contained within the car works very well. For winter, it heats (the cabin) very well compared to other EVs (but at the cost of Battery usage of course - but at least you can stay warm). Everytime I take the road with the car, I'm happy, it looks good, it drives good, has great acceleration, 1 pedal driving, no longer have to go to gas stations. So yeah, I'd say it's still worth it! :D

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Would I have bought if I knew what I know now and waited? Probably do. We didn’t need a new car. We have a perfectly functional Leaf that does everything we need except road trip. The 100 mile range is just too short for long distance travel. I also haven’t seen any cars come to market that compete with what I wanted in the Mach E. The closest is the MY and we all know about Tesla’s woes. I might have gone with the eKona but it’s a little lacking. The ID.4 is close to market and the best competitor but lacks the excitement. In a few years there will be enough BEVs on the market that I wouldn’t have to wait. However that’s still not the case.
I haven't posted here in quite some time since I got my I-Pace. You might recall when you were mocking the I-Pace for its own issues, I told you, "And you don't think the MachE will have its own problems when it arrives?".

This is not to rub salt in anyone's wounds, but only the naive would think a brand new BEV will arrive with no issues. I had issues with Tesla and I had an issue with the I-Pace in my 2nd week of ownership (it's since been problem-free).

Now with that said, from everything I've heard about the ME, I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy one. It's gotten great reviews, seems to do most things very well and its price is reasonable for what it offers. To anyone having second thoughts as the result of those that have had issues here, I wouldn't. :)

RockDaphne98296

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE, 2016 F-350 Super Duty XLT
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
Country flag
I have only had mine for 2 days - but I LOVE it - It far exceeded my expectations - and keep in mind I have a brother who is an automotive writer - he told me I would love it!

I have to be honest and say that some of the reports I saw on the forum made me nervous, made we wonder, if I thought the dealer hadn't responded fast enough, uh-oh what did they discover on my car? But then it arrived - it is beautiful! The only thing I have found that matches a comment here on the forum is the cargo cover does pop out - I need to add some black tape or black rubber bands to the posts to make them a snugger fit... My husband says he feels a snap as it fits in, but then it pops out when we open the trunk... I also do agree that the jumper spots should be easier to get to, too many beauty panels to remove... Other than that - I am finding that the range estimation is as expected in 30-40 degree weather which is currently at 220 -240 range, the PAAK is a little clumsy as you have to have the app open and it "loads" for about 10 seconds... that should be more automatic... and the overall high tech system is something I am getting used to - my 2017 Fusion Energi Titanium had some of this stuff - but the Mach E has a thousand settings! If I ever get into hyper-miling I can see myself taking advantage of a lot of the options - otherwise give me the works baby!

Keep in mind I drive about 50 miles a day and have a level 2 charger at home so range is not a huge concern on the daily... perhaps for a trip to visit my kids in Eastern WA...

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Overall, I do like the MME. I got the Premium ER RWD and have a lot of the same feedback as @SteelMach. I'm down in Texas and have had it for about 1.5 weeks (didn't drive during the snows though).

Here's my feedback:
+ Exterior Looks: it's got nice curves ? Very sporty and iconic silver really makes the accents pop! Panoramic roof is really slick! Overall the MME looks way better than any Tesla in my opinion. Also definitely looks way better in person than just the pictures online in my opinion.
+ Ease of use: The button style door handle actually is something I really surprisingly enjoy, along with the kick to open liftgate. The door handle on the inside is nice as well and gives it great satisfying feel. Plus the fact that the MME knows when you're approaching or walking away is nice too so you don't forget to lock it.
+ Handling: you can definitely notice the difference between the three drive modes and I mainly go with Engage has it just feels like a good balance between Whisper and Unbridled. Turning radius is great on it compared to my 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. Kind of feels like I'm driving in a video game (e.g. think Cruis'n USA). ?
+ Comfort: The seats are comfortable and very similar to my MKZ. The seat warmers work really fast compared to my MKZ which is nice. The interior overall is just really well put together and relaxing. Side bolstering for the front seats aren't as pronounced as my MKZ though. Generally I don't hear a ton of road noise like others do, but again not as quiet as my MKZ.
+ Software configuration: I'm a techie and Computer Engineer in a past life, and LOVE that there's so many configurable options. I'm an Android guy so configuration doesn't scare me. That being said it can be overwhelming for some and I think Ford did a good job of hiding most in the advanced settings. Plus the tool tips are a nice touch!
= Storage Space: The actual storage space wasn't as much as I was expecting for a SUV. The frunk I basically don't use because it's a pain to open with the manual inside lever, and difficult to shut closed. The rear trunk is a nice sized space, but I was hoping to fit a lot more than just a stroller.
= Screen whine: I have this on mine, but it wasn't as noticeable as others have mentioned. If I'm trying to listen for it I'll hear it if I'm not driving, but generally don't hear it if there's music or I'm on the road.
- Motor whine: When I don't have the music on I can definitely hear the wine of the rear motor distinctly. Wasn't expecting that to be as loud.
- Bounce: I definitely noticed the bouncy ride as well compared to my MKZ Hybrid. The ride on the MME is just not as smooth in comparison, and even driving over nicely paved roads I still feel a lot of roll/bounce.
- Software performance: Let me caveat this by saying I am pretty judgy when it comes to good software and I do think this is where Tesla does shine compared to any of the traditional manufacturers. It's not easy to develop good software and Ford did a valiant effort with a newest version of Sync 4A compared to the old MFT version I had on my Lincoln MKZ. Aesthetically the UI looks great! However for performance, it is still sluggish and laggy compared to using a smartphone. Not nearly as bad again as the MKZ but not as seamless as a smartphone or Tesla. It's most noticeable when you're switching between tiles. Once you're within a tile it's very performant.
- Android Auto: I was on the verge of putting this as a neutral or positive. When I was running Android 10 on my Galaxy S10 Plus it was flawless and I really like that the Google map navigation turn by turn would show up in the front instrumentation cluster and the main display. That being said when I recently upgraded to Android 11 it no longer works at all. This is a known issue though and hopefully should be addressed soon and then this would bump back to a positive.
- Advanced driving features: The good side is that it recognizes speed limit signs really well. That being said most are cons. I've yet to successfully have the lane centering on cruise control work. Just intermittently cancels... Likely due to the local roads not having consistently marked lane lines, and this is where Tesla has a leg up. I'm sure you do better on highways. The lane keeping assist I would say is comparable to my 2013 Lincoln MKZ hybrid which wasn't all that great either for the same reason above. The automatic parking doesn't recognize parking lines so not as useful there. My wife wishes it had the Tesla auto park features to get it into / out of the garage ?
- Phone as a Key: I like the concept but execution hasn't been mind-blowing. I have it installed on my and my wife's phone and we still have issues with it. For instance, the MME not recognizing when we approach the car to unlock it so having to manually press unlock on the app or press the car open button multiple times and hope that it will eventually recognize, not recognizing that there's another PaaK in the car once the main user steps out. I think them only providing one key fob is really a big letdown cuz that's been consistently fine to use, and even my MKZ had 2 in the ability to pair them to profiles seamlessly.

Do I regret waiting this long for it? No, I don't regret waiting because I think it's a solid car. That being said if you're just putting an order now and delivery won't happen until end of this year, I don't know if I would wait. I think given a lot of the majors investing into EV now and releasing more options, if you're not in any rush I'd say wait until other options like the new Bolt, Ioniq 5, Toyota options, and others come out this year as they look intriguing too and definitely have good range, fast charging, and some interesting features.
You really think delivery won’t happen until end of year if you order now? That seems...unlikely. Dealer told me likely May or June for new orders (not that they know much more).

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Congrats on the I Pace. There was one down in Pasadena I have been tempted by but the sticker is $92k, so I just couldn't make the leap, nice to hear that the concerns about a british car were overblown in your case.

So far the issues on my yet to be delivered car have just made me set more realistic expectations for the EV space.

I haven't posted here in quite some time since I got my I-Pace. You might recall when you were mocking the I-Pace for its own issues, I told you, "And you don't think the MachE will have its own problems when it arrives?".

This is not to rub salt in anyone's wounds, but only the naive would think a brand new BEV will arrive with no issues. I had issues with Tesla and I had an issue with the I-Pace in my 2nd week of ownership (it's since been problem-free).

Now with that said, from everything I've heard about the ME, I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy one. It's gotten great reviews, seems to do most things very well and its price is reasonable for what it offers. To anyone having second thoughts as the result of those that have had issues here, I wouldn't. :)

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
You really think delivery won’t happen until end of year if you order now? That seems...unlikely. Dealer told me likely May or June for new orders (not that they know much more).
I was just answering the question from the perspective of my order to build and delivery experience. I sure hope they have the process and efficiencies down to turn things around faster, but I'll defer to the Ford experts on current order timing. Hopefully it is faster, but I know there's that semiconductor shortage and heard that they're also prioritizing Broncos right now from the dealer side so not sure if that'll impact MME production at all.
Sponsored