Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Anyone else thinking of waiting instead of hunting down a First Edition or even just a Mache E currently on the lot? Feel like it's a game of Russian Roulette right now.
I’ve thought about it (my build date is March 8), but I feel a bit better waiting for my ordered car. I figure that the wrinkles in the production line have been smoothed out a bit by now. Also, I figure there would be at least one significant OTA update by the time I take delivery, and I won’t have to wait as long for the more complete ‘hands-free’ autopilot update. I’ll spend the next 4-6 weeks learning from all the early adopters on this forum and will be ready to hit the ground running in April.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have the chance to buy a GB FE which is my desired color but seeing all the little (and sometimes big) issues pop up have me thinking I should just order a later build and wait.
I know it's probably just the "echo chamber" that makes it seem like many are having issues since we're all here on a forum about the freaking car lol but I really don't want to have a bunch of issues crop up with a brand-new car that I would be buying from a dealer an hour and a half away from home.

Anyone else thinking of waiting instead of hunting down a First Edition or even just a Mache E currently on the lot? Feel like it's a game of Russian Roulette right now.
If it's any help.....my FE build date was 11/18/20 and it's working great. So, I am not so sure that a later build date is much better than an early one. We all are early builds when you think about it. First year and all....

I say if you can get that GB GE....then go for it.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I have the chance to buy a GB FE which is my desired color but seeing all the little (and sometimes big) issues pop up have me thinking I should just order a later build and wait.
I know it's probably just the "echo chamber" that makes it seem like many are having issues since we're all here on a forum about the freaking car lol but I really don't want to have a bunch of issues crop up with a brand-new car that I would be buying from a dealer an hour and a half away from home.

I think so far only two issues have been identified that cannot be fixed with a software update. These are the driver screen buzzing and the panoramic roof wind noise.

If you cannot hear or are not bothered by the driving screen buzz and the specific vehicle you test doesn’t have the panoramic roof wind noise issue, then I think any other thing people have identified so far can be fixed or improved by a software update and you would not necessarily gain by waiting.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I think so far only two issues have been identified that cannot be fixed with a software update. These are the driver screen buzzing and the panoramic roof wind noise.

If you cannot hear or are not bothered by the driving screen buzz and the specific vehicle you test doesn’t have the panoramic roof wind noise issue, then I think any other thing people have identified so far can be fixed or improved by a software update and you would not necessarily gain by waiting.
Yeah but I also don’t necessarily want to deal the issues others here have that has required multiple visits to the dealer. Going to see how that first fabled OTA goes.

balataspin

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Escape SEL, 2021 Mach - E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Yeah but I also don’t necessarily want to deal the issues others here have that has required multiple visits to the dealer. Going to see how that first fabled OTA goes.

FYI in terms of build dates and what not, the wait is currently a long one. Ordered my Premium ER AWD 12/21/20, build date isn't until May 31st, which would put delivery around August 1st.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
FYI in terms of build dates and what not, the wait is currently a long one. Ordered my Premium ER AWD 12/21/20, build date isn't until May 31st, which would put delivery around August 1st.
Gives me hope the hardware and software bugs will be worked out by then.

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
The only complain about my mme is the screen buzz, that I hear at a trafic light when there is no audio, otherwise I dont hear it, and PAAK that doesn’t always works fast. I hear the motor whine when I accelerate but I kind of like that, I prefer hear it then not hear it.

CaptainET

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
yes, but don't bother calling support or dealer with any questions you have, use this forum for questions if you want to get an answer

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
This forum has been a great resource of information and I'm not sure I would have waited this long without it. I read it pretty much every day. Lots of very knowledgeable people here and the few insiders are awesome. I think it's fair to say that this is a high-end car in terms of cost and for most of us a luxury that we can afford. All that said, is it worth it given some of the problems new owners are having? I'm about two to three weeks from getting mine. While certainly not ideal and for a little while, I think I can live with the existing bugs and potential battery problems for a car that seems to be better than most, if not all, comparable EVs out there. But I don't own one. For those of you who have yours and particularly those with problems, is it worth it or knowing what you know now, would you have waited?

I am on day 5.
My thoughts so far....
Best EV ever.
Just my humble opinion.....

AzCoronaDog

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, '21 MME, '17 Yukon XL
Country flag
Elon has batteries/cars that will provide 500 mile range within two years. Lithium batteries are 90+% recyclable. 'Maybe' there will be a better storage solution because of science and progress, but we're still in the infancy of EV, even though they've been around 15 years.
Sorry, but you are incorrect, Lithium Ion batteries are not really being recycled AT ALL. Currently, it is orders of magnitude more expensive to break down the combined materials for reuse than to mine and combine new ones.
Tesla does keep their batteries in a 'closed loop', meaning they keep possession forever. When a Tesla battery is no longer suitable for use for the high demand usage in a car, if possible, they will use it for grid type storage that is less demanding. When a Tesla battery is no longer usable for that, they are dismantled and any reusable infrastructure is recycled. However, the cells themselves are NOT recycled, they are only stored for now, with the hope that a cost effective recycle process will eventually be developed.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
ABSOLUTELY. I have had mine for maybe 2-3 weeks and it is 1900 miles and will be adding another 2300 by the end of the week. So happy I bought my wife one. NO GAS. In Cali gas is up to around $3.49 and climbing. Doing a 3600 mile road trip now. Love it

jccoleman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 BMW X5, & 2021 Mach-E X4 aka: Trigger
Country flag
This forum has been a great resource of information and I'm not sure I would have waited this long without it. I read it pretty much every day. Lots of very knowledgeable people here and the few insiders are awesome. I think it's fair to say that this is a high-end car in terms of cost and for most of us a luxury that we can afford. All that said, is it worth it given some of the problems new owners are having? I'm about two to three weeks from getting mine. While certainly not ideal and for a little while, I think I can live with the existing bugs and potential battery problems for a car that seems to be better than most, if not all, comparable EVs out there. But I don't own one. For those of you who have yours and particularly those with problems, is it worth it or knowing what you know now, would you have waited?
I've had my Premium - serial number 6205 - for 4 weeks and 750 miles and the answer is a definite YES! I love to drive it and love it more every day. I understand there will be some glitches and I'm OK with that. Mine was the first one delivered and the dealer apologized for making me the "guinea pig" as we both walk through uncharted territory. Of course the $14,000 in total tax credits and rebates has made it even more appealing.

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
We've had our Premium ER AWD for two weeks and we love it. My wife has a connective tissue disorder (hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome or hEDS) which makes any bump in the road painful for her; a pothole would set her back with two weeks of constant pain. The ankle twisting from gas to brake and unsupportive seats are generally big problems.

That said, I did a lot of research before buying this car for us. I had a Bolt, which she couldn't sit in because it was way too stiff and bouncy and her primary car was a 2010 Mercedes GLK350. The MME is better in every way. The suspension is not as firm as the GLK, but not as soft as a Lincoln Town Car. It absorbs bumps pretty well and holds flat in the corners. The seats are also supportive but have a little bit of what feels like a memory foam topper. The one-pedal driving is literally life-changing for her (her words) and the intelligent cruise control has made it so much easier for her on the freeways. I've heard terrible things about Tesla's build quality ("they're built like prototypes" said an owner friend) and that their ride is really stiff in the 3 and the 7. The price on the S and X is just insane and IMHO not worth it.

Yes, there are some software issues (she was so frustrated she couldn't get CarPlay to work even though the phone connected through Bluetooth), the display buzzing is a little annoying (to me), and closing the frunk is hard so it's unusable for my wife. But this car is terrific and we can finally take longer trips. An example: she used to have to stop every 20mi or so to walk around and reset her joints. Today, she drove almost 50mi without a problem. This is one of the best cars we've had.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We've had our Premium ER AWD for two weeks and we love it. My wife has a connective tissue disorder (hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome or hEDS) which makes any bump in the road painful for her; a pothole would set her back with two weeks of constant pain. The ankle twisting from gas to brake and unsupportive seats are generally big problems.

That said, I did a lot of research before buying this car for us. I had a Bolt, which she couldn't sit in because it was way too stiff and bouncy and her primary car was a 2010 Mercedes GLK350. The MME is better in every way. The suspension is not as firm as the GLK, but not as soft as a Lincoln Town Car. It absorbs bumps pretty well and holds flat in the corners. The seats are also supportive but have a little bit of what feels like a memory foam topper. The one-pedal driving is literally life-changing for her (her words) and the intelligent cruise control has made it so much easier for her on the freeways. I've heard terrible things about Tesla's build quality ("they're built like prototypes" said an owner friend) and that their ride is really stiff in the 3 and the 7. The price on the S and X is just insane and IMHO not worth it.

Yes, there are some software issues (she was so frustrated she couldn't get CarPlay to work even though the phone connected through Bluetooth), the display buzzing is a little annoying (to me), and closing the frunk is hard so it's unusable for my wife. But this car is terrific and we can finally take longer trips. An example: she used to have to stop every 20mi or so to walk around and reset her joints. Today, she drove almost 50mi without a problem. This is one of the best cars we've had.
Glad to hear. When you started talking about the bumps in the road, I though you were going a different direction with that. At speeds <55 MPH, we feel the bumps in the road far MORE in the MME than in our Escape. It's probably the one major disappointment we have (amongst mostly great things).

The suspension isn't terrible, but it's definitely worse than what we're used to, and worse than what I expected in the $60k car.

slambertr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Let me think about it for a minute... YES!
Picked up my MME on Tuesday, and Wednesday drove from Central PA to Maryland Eastern Shore. Drove to Delaware yesterday. I am feeling lucky - I had a great dealership buying experience (thank you, New Holland Ford) and have thus far experienced none of the bugs some others have (PaaK is working great, no screen buzz, etc.). The only issue I've noticed is the roof wind noise - is that because the Forum posts put the thought in my head??!!
The MME is quick, beautiful (Rapid Red), the technology is kick-ass, and the ride is comfortable. And I smile whenever I drive past a gas station. I was worried about the learning curve for 1-pdeal driving, but its been a snap. Took me longer digging into some of the deeper screens on Sync 4. I am charging using the Ford Mobile Charger (had my garage wired for 240v) and it too has worked flawlessly.
I know I am very early in (and fingers crossed for continuing good reliability), but thus far the MME has exceeded my expectations and is truly worth the wait. Beautiful, high-tech, comfortable and fast. Giddy-up!
And thank you, Ford!
Sponsored