For tax credit purposes, is the Mach E an SUV? I'm not so sure...

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
I don't see it posted anywhere, but the IRS website lists the Premium AWD as eligible for the full 7500 credit under the current law. Even the GT is listed, but not the GT performance. Looks like they are rating it as SUV.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-30d-new-qualified-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-vehicle-credit
The GT and GT performance are both GT. The differences that they listed are rear vs all wheel drive. Both the GT and GT performance are basically the same with minor tweaks.
Sponsored

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Keep in mind that the Mach E is classified as a SUV, not only by Ford, but very similar competing products. BMW, Model Y, VW iD4, Lamborghini and many others.
Ford Mustang Mach-E For tax credit purposes, is the Mach E an SUV? I'm not so sure... BMW SUV's 2022

Not to mention the Federal government...NTHSA:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/FORD/MUSTANG%2520MACH-E/SUV/AWD
The market clearly lists vehicles of this size and class as "SUV".

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Keep in mind that the Mach E is classified as a SUV, not only by Ford, but very similar competing products. BMW, Model Y, VW iD4, Lamborghini and many others.
BMW SUV's 2022.png

Not to mention the Federal government...NTHSA:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/FORD/MUSTANG%2520MACH-E/SUV/AWD
The market clearly lists vehicles of this size and class as "SUV".

I think from all the research and information so far, it's an SUV by EVERY source other than the EPA and fueleconomy.gov site.

The IRS, NTHSA, reviewers, Ford, competitors, news/trade magazines...

...EVERYONE except the EPA and looking at the site again, I think it just has to do with Ford having "Passenger Volume" as shown in these pics. If it was left blank, it's an SUV.

I still go back and feel people should not worry about the $55k/sedan cost and the BBB looks dead for this year from latest reports anyways. The IRS accepts/denies the credit and I'd care more about what they think than the EPA.

Doesn't apply to me, but I'd argue with the IRS if my order was over the $55k personally and claim it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E For tax credit purposes, is the Mach E an SUV? I'm not so sure... volume

carclass.jpg

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would the GT PE be listed as a separate model? Or is the Performance package considered an option on the GT?
There are 4 models of Mach E:

Select, Premium, California Route 1, GT.
Ford Mustang Mach-E For tax credit purposes, is the Mach E an SUV? I'm not so sure... Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 10.49.26 AM

GT performance is a option of the GT, but it is still a GT.

Last edited:

dimitrybernic

First Name
dimitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
golf 7
I very much doubt that someone will allow you to make a car purchase retroactively. I think it's even a little illegal because, in fact, it's a forgery of documents. I wouldn't break the law for anything in your place for some discount, for which I can then pay for my whole life. Of course, you can contact accountants who can generate pay stubs online for you and ask about whether you can get this loan for your car or not. But before you do it, decide for yourself whether you need to do this, or it's just a waste of time.

Last edited:

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Report it like an SUV and justify that later usually VIN number and comparisons. The IRS will have 100k+ of these and likely won’t dispute your return. (3 years later).