For tax credit purposes, is the Mach E an SUV? I'm not so sure...

Ccarbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA Rte 1 AWD (2022)
Country flag

MachMachWhoThere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT Iconic Silver
Country flag
Ill be more specific, his problem doesn't have to do with MSRP caps. If he gets what he's holding out for, it doesn't help credits for Mach e in any way. So the "it can still change" logic based on his hold out actually means nothing for this topic.
There’s one benefit to his holding out. If he delays the vote into 2022, more new Mach E owners with MSRP over $55k could get their purchases completed under the old credit.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
There’s one benefit to his holding out. If he delays the vote into 2022, more new Mach E owners with MSRP over $55k could get their purchases completed under the old credit.

Yeah, I find it annoying that this new proposal/law will make the situation worst for people vs. under the old plan (can't buy 2 EVs a year, 55k for sedans (just make it 80k for all)), Rav4 Prime doesn't even qualify anymore (not an issue for us, but still...).

The delays with EVs means everyone has no control of the situation.

This new proposal does nothing for the MME anyways, but can only hurt it I think (non-union, batteries not even USA made).

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
This bill just passed the house (11/19/21 AM), and is on its way to the Senate.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Rav4 Prime doesn't even qualify anymore (not an issue for us, but still...).
Yes, it does. Most PHEVs will still qualify for the base $4000 credit. They won't qualify for the $3500 boost unless they have a battery size of at least 40kWh and a gas tank smaller than 2.5 gallons. So the credit for the RAV4 Prime would go from $7500 in 2021 to $4000 in 2022.

But there's another $3500 boost if it's built in the US with union labor and another $500 if the battery is built in the US. That means a vehicle like the Jeep Wrangler 4xe would qualify for a $9000 credit, which is more than the MME.

Turbanator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Versa Hatchback
Country flag
Yes, it does. Most PHEVs will still qualify for the base $4000 credit. They won't qualify for the $3500 boost unless they have a battery size of at least 40kWh and a gas tank smaller than 2.5 gallons. So the credit for the RAV4 Prime would go from $7500 in 2021 to $4000 in 2022.

But there's another $3500 boost if it's built in the US with union labor and another $500 if the battery is built in the US. That means a vehicle like the Jeep Wrangler 4xe would qualify for a $9000 credit, which is more than the MME.
You may have meant a $4500 boost for being union-built, not $3500. Though it seems like a typo, you got the $9000 figure right ?.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Has @Ford Motor Company ever weighed in on the SUV / not an SUV question? Our GT has an estimated delivery date of January 2nd, so this could literally be a $7,500 question for us (unless we can make up a couple days in shipping)

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Has @Ford Motor Company ever weighed in on the SUV / not an SUV question? Our GT has an estimated delivery date of January 2nd, so this could literally be a $7,500 question for us (unless we can make up a couple days in shipping)
They cannot. Can anyone give an absolute answer on an unknown?

WildBillTV

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
holeinonebox.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This might not be the right thread to ask, but I've had my car since July and am unsure how to apply for this tax credit. I see that there is a form to fill out, but I can only file that form during tax season right? Or is there something I should have done way back in July?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This might not be the right thread to ask, but I've had my car since July and am unsure how to apply for this tax credit. I see that there is a form to fill out, but I can only file that form during tax season right? Or is there something I should have done way back in July?
You file the form when you file your 2021 income taxes in 4 months. The $7500 gets subtracted from the "your tax" line (line 11 I think) which is computed based on your income.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The proposed Senate version of the bill is already changed but has not been passed - and may never get passed. You will be fine; you'll get the tax incentive and all this angst will come to nothing.

They cannot. Can anyone give an absolute answer on an unknown?
Exactly. Although I guess since people here constantly get mad at Ford for not knowing or being able to control the future it is OK to blame Ford anyway

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
The proposed Senate version of the bill is already changed but has not been passed - and may never get passed. You will be fine; you'll get the tax incentive and all this angst will come to nothing.

Exactly. Although I guess since people here constantly get mad at Ford for not knowing or being able to control the future it is OK to blame Ford anyway
Wasn't blaming Ford - their lobbyists only have a minimal impact on legislation this big. Just curious if they would say anything about it since the marketing (SUV) doesn't match the EPA label (small wagon). Given how close my order will be to the end of year cutoff, I would be willing to pay extra for expedited shipping or even pick it up somewhere in the middle (mid transit), but I know neither of those are options at this point.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Wasn't blaming Ford - their lobbyists only have a minimal impact on legislation this big. Just curious if they would say anything about it since the marketing (SUV) doesn't match the EPA label (small wagon). Given how close my order will be to the end of year cutoff, I would be willing to pay extra for expedited shipping or even pick it up somewhere in the middle (mid transit), but I know neither of those are options at this point.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be critical of you; I was actually referring to the plethora of whiners that can't understand what is taking so long for their cars to get built and delivered. Pointing out that the plant wasn't idle just waiting for their order to be placed or that the entire world is experiencing supply chain problems doesn't seem to change that it is "all Ford's fault".

As for the credit, like I said the current proposed senate version removes the classification and just sets a single cap of $80,000.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag

WIfey has her eye on a new XC90 PHEV, so were following this with great interest.
Sponsored