For those of you worried about charging to 100%...

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Just sharing some real world usage info in case anyone wonders what they can expect down the road.
If usable range is any indication of general HVB health, then it doesn't appear that charging to 100% (displayed) has much of an effect. Of course there isn't anything wrong with choosing a lower percent for daily limits but if your driving is such that you would like to start each day at 100% then go for it. That is what I do most days and the car appears to be handling it just fine.

I have DCFCd a few times on road trips. Looks like about 200 kWh in total. The majority of my charging is L2. 32A at home and 16A-32A at work depending on if we are circuit sharing at the time. I am able to charge up to 48A at home but I haven't had the need yet.

Happy Friday!

Ford Mustang Mach-E For those of you worried about charging to 100%... 1659113266018

P.S. My GOM is notoriously accurate. I know that some of you have range estimates that are not even close to reality but mine does really good. My driving habits are fairly consistent so that is likely the reason why my range estimates are so accurate most days.

Ford Mustang Mach-E For those of you worried about charging to 100%... 1659113292299

Ford Mustang Mach-E For those of you worried about charging to 100%... 1659113340365

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Thank you for posting your experiences about being 45k miles in. I'm not anywhere near that mileage yet, but promising to hear about your battery health at this point.

You seem to charge to 100% and then leave within a few hours for your daily commute?

Other places on the forum, it was advised to not store the car at 100% for any extended period of time. I only go out 2-3 times per week sometimes, so I try not to keep the battery at 100% before letting it sit for 48+ hours.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Do you have an OBDII adapter? I’m curious what your car reports for battery State of Health percentage.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
it might take many years to notice degradation. i wouldn't recommend it, if you don't have to charge to 100% for commute. 90% is what ford recommends.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Thank you for posting your experiences about being 45k miles in. I'm not anywhere near that mileage yet, but promising to hear about your battery health at this point.

You seem to charge to 100% and then leave within a few hours for your daily commute?

Other places on the forum, it was advised to not store the car at 100% for any extended period of time. I only go out 2-3 times per week sometimes, so I try not to keep the battery at 100% before letting it sit for 48+ hours.
Correct. My commute is 22 miles each work day so my car doesn't stay fully charged very long. I usually don't charge the car on Saturdays since weekends are my lowest usage periods (I have other vehicles that I like to drive on the weekends....). Then on Sunday evening I charge back up to 100% to get ready for my week. 👍

I think Ford did good to give us so many options for charging and the various percentage limits. There should be some setting that fits well with each use case. If you don't use your car very often then a lower charge limit makes reasonable sense.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
That's great to hear! I have a week and about 400 miles on mine :)

I found this article pretty interesting on the topic of factors that contribute to battery health degradation. The battery buffer (and liquid cooling, etc) seems to be evidence that Ford is serious about protecting the health of the battery. 100% is probably relatively safe in the MME, but I still plan on 80% unless I have a reason to go to 100. https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-battery-health/

Other potentially more serious factors impacting health: DCFC usage and heat.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I too have not noticed any degradation, I'm at 37k miles currently and frequently use DCFC as well as charge to 100% most nights for work.
I think someone calculated that it would take something like 20 years to notice appreciable degradation by charging to 100% displayed vs a lower setting. I might not be remembering correctly though. I drove my Focus Electric for 50k miles and it showed zero deg in that time. Same for my other 2 family members with that same vehicle.....

Maybe Ford found the magic formula for sustained HVB life?

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Nice info! Thank you! I also charge to 100% each time. I don't have quite the miles you do, but I haven't noticed any reduction in range other than when the weather turns

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Do you have an OBDII adapter? I’m curious what your car reports for battery State of Health percentage.
Yes. I have FORScan extended and AutoEnginuity with Ford Enhanced bundle.
I have yet to find a battery health PID listed anywhere. Which module would it be located in?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Not sure of the module, but I found State of Health in the list of fields in Car Scanner. Mine showed 98%, but I have no idea how it’s being measured or how accurate it is.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
That's great to hear! I have a week and about 400 miles on mine :)

I found this article pretty interesting on the topic of factors that contribute to battery health degradation. The battery buffer (and liquid cooling, etc) seems to be evidence that Ford is serious about protecting the health of the battery. 100% is probably relatively safe in the MME, but I still plan on 80% unless I have a reason to go to 100. https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-battery-health/

Other potentially more serious factors impacting health: DCFC usage and heat.
Yes. As with everything.....it always comes down to thermal management. That is why I set my L2 to 32A. Charging at 48A here in the desert really stresses the car thermally and there isn't any real benefit for me to charge that fast. If I needed to....then I can, but I don't need to so I don't.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Not sure of the module, but I found State of Health in the list of fields in Car Scanner. Mine showed 98%, but I have no idea how it’s being measured or how accurate it is.
My recently retired uncle was a Ford tech for 20 or 25 years and he attended all the EV certification trainings that he could (most of them were in Michigan). He said the method that Ford uses to determine HVB health takes about 2-3 hours. If you have FDRS, there may be a sequence in there for that. Do you have a tab in FDRS for on board test results or anything that sounds similar?

If I change systems to the BECM then I should be able to run some tests......not sure what choices are available to me. I haven't really spent that much time connected to the car actually. When the weather cools off a bit then I'll probably play with the scan tool a bit more.

Ford Mustang Mach-E For those of you worried about charging to 100%... 1659116268477

These are the PIDs that I see for the BECM. I didn't screen grab anything past Cell Voltage #37 as they just continued all the way to #90something....

BECM PID List 01.JPG

BECM PID List 02.JPG

BECM PID List 03.JPG

BECM PID List 04.JPG

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I'm at 98.5% - 22k miles, lots of DCFC, lots of 100% charges, 48A L2 every day, 12.2 months on battery age.