For those waiting on orders, what does the Model Y price drop to $52,990 make you think?

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I looked through several safety scores of Teslas, and I couldn't find anything less than a five-star. Which year/model received less than five-stars?
There are plenty of cars with 5 stars. After Tesla nuts started making those claims, NHTSA even had to make a statement saying that they never rated Tesla as the safest car, all other cars with same ratings are equal in safety.
That was before Tesla started removing the safety features like ultrasonic sensors, so now many Teslas worse equipped than most other cars in the same price range.
Sponsored

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
I’m curious since you road trip so much..are you prepared for the disappointing charge network? Seems like it could be a major oversight with the way you use the vehicle
The charging network is my biggest concern, and why I went with the Tesla to begin with. At that time though there was no talk of Tesla Superchargers being available to non Tesla vehicles, but now it is imminent.

I test drove the GT tonight and loved it, but told the salesman that my hesitation isn't with anything Ford related; it's the third party charging network that I want to look into. Your description of "disappointing charge network" gives me pause. Is it really that bad?

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
BlueCruise is actually great. FSD obviously isn't done yet but I think BC is better for fatigue. No hands on the wheel, no phantom braking, and it re-engages after lane changes. Plus soon it'll be getting auto lane change too.

But this is what I'm actually scared of when I pick up my MY this weekend. I loved BC and the MME. Meanwhile Tesla apparently still hasn't fixed phantom braking and I'm not sold on vision only - computers/USS/radar help us but Tesla (to save money) is going to rely on only what our eyes/the cameras can see (when they're not obstructed)?

I think build quality is less of a concern now though. I could see it for 2021 even though that was only two years ago (but also for a new model).

Build quality on the MME is great. You just might get annoyed with some lag, PAAK, and tech quirks. Let us know how you feel traveling without superchargers though. That might be the biggest change for you. In comparison, I've been driving EV for five years and have quick charged maybe like 3 or 4 times and two of them were because I forgot to plug in overnight.
The phantom breaking on the Tesla is a jarring experience. Going 70mph on a highway only to have the car suddenly attempt a hard brake because it saw a shadow on the road will leave you with sweaty palms and a few middle fingers (rightfully so) from people who were behind you. It doesn't happen often, but I'd bet I'll have at least one incident every 300 miles of driving under FSD. My car is a vision only, no radar model, for what it's worth.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
The charging network is my biggest concern, and why I went with the Tesla to begin with. At that time though there was no talk of Tesla Superchargers being available to non Tesla vehicles, but now it is imminent.

I test drove the GT tonight and loved it, but told the salesman that my hesitation isn't with anything Ford related; it's the third party charging network that I want to look into. Your description of "disappointing charge network" gives me pause. Is it really that bad?
No issues with public DCFC in So Calif.

My current ride: F150 Lightning works well with EA and EVGo.
So far, I give a 5 stars to EVGo and 1 star to EA.

We are going to test drive an MME ahead of the ordered MME that is stuck in Mexico this weekend.

MachKet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered 2022 Mach E select AWD
Country flag

I’d read the trip/log part of this forum and gauge some reviews from there.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I just saw this video and got a laugh and thought it's an interesting take on Teslas (which I agree with) vs. whatever else is out there:

I'm not familiar with this youtuber, but sounds like he was an early Tesla adopter, but doesn't seem to think too much of them anymore (still seems to own 3 Teslas).

Worth a watch if you are on the fence.

Bobbyg813

First Name
BG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select
Country flag

Check out @RateYourCharge on Twitter...It's an eye opener.

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
Check out @RateYourCharge on Twitter...It's an eye opener.
Thanks for the recommendation. Still, I think with any of those online reviews it's hard to base much off of them because human nature is always to go post something out of frustration/anger. How many people are just as likely to post something after a seamless and perfect charge session?

sookestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Flip flopping between cars based on price makes very little sense to me. I chose the Mach E because this is the car that I wanted and was in my price range. Other cars were also in my price range but they didn't appeal to me.

Maybe 5 years from now there will be another EV that checks the boxes.

Telsa vehicles were in my price range. Didn't want. Doesn't matter what the price it's the car, the looks, the make, nothing appeals to me about a Tesla.

Bobbyg813

First Name
BG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Select
Country flag
Thanks for the recommendation. Still, I think with any of those online reviews it's hard to base much off of them because human nature is always to go post something out of frustration/anger. How many people are just as likely to post something after a seamless and perfect charge session?
actually, if you read through the posts on that account, there are quite a few very positive postings. The Twitter handle was started by the out of spec group, a well respected, unbiased group of people promoting all EVs.
Sponsored