Forbes Article Surveys Buyers: Mach-E Mustang or Tesla Model Y

SSman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X3
Country flag
It has a small sample survey. I found it interesting the reasons people stated for why they prefer Ford or Tesla.

Orders For Ford Mustang Mach-E Sets Stage For All-American Fight With Tesla Model Y
Brooke Crothers
37,526 viewsJan 5, 2020, 06:26am
960x0.jpg

Ford Mustang Mach-E.

Credit: Ford
The Tesla Model Y crossover is, by all appearances, set to become the hottest new EV in 2020.

But the Ford Mustang Mach-E electric crossover also appears to be a hot item. A single Ford dealer in SunnyVale, Calif. has racked up 100 reservations for the Mach E, according to a January 2 Detroit Free Press story.

And Ford has already sold out the 'First Edition' Mach-E. That’s a level of enthusiasm usually reserved for Tesla vehicles and underscores the latent demand for an alternative.

The rivalry also shows how far the EV market has come in the U.S. — Americans finally have a stylish alternative from a traditional Detroit carmaker to the gadgets-on-wheels from Silicon-Valley-based Tesla.

Ford says it will make about 50,000 of the crossover EVs during the first year of production.

“I like the idea of a Tesla but I don't trust Tesla.”
Mach-E reservation holder, Detroit Free Press, January 2, 2020
The Mach-E ranges from about $44,000 to over $60,000 with the driving range maxing out at about 300 miles.

And the sweet spot for the two EVs shows the cars pretty evenly matched on key metrics though Tesla gets the nod on price.

960x0.jpg

Sweet spot for Mach-E and Model Y.

Credit: Brooke Crothers
David Undercoffler, a Forbes Contributor and Editor-in-Chief of Autolist.com, came up with some interesting results in a survey Autolist.com did of about 1,000 people.

“The results were essentially a draw: 51 percent of respondents said they would choose the Mustang Mach-E, 49 percent said they would choose the Model Y,” Undercoffler wrote in a November 22 post.

Those who preferred the Ford cited reasons such as “prefer/trust Ford more” and “Ford’s established dealer and service network” and “concerns about Tesla’s future.”

Those who preferred Tesla cited things like “the Model Y’s expected performance” and “Tesla’s Supercharging network” or “dislike of the Ford brand.”

However the rivalry shakes out in 2020 and 2021, Ford is going right after the Model Y with the Mach-E and isn’t pussyfooting around with anything like the half-baked compliance EVs it sold for years.

"Ford, instead of sticking its toe in the pool, jumped completely into the deep end. Tesla has owned the market...So Ford's going at 'em,” Matt Stanford, general manager at Varsity Ford in Ann Arbor, Michigan told the Detroit Free Press.

Stanford said he has 70 orders for the Mach-E already.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
The price difference can be "difficult" due to the tax credit that still exists for Ford.

Machemark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTI, Prius
Country flag
For me, its a mix. I don't NOT trust Tesla, but I don't necessarily trust Ford 100%.

I do believe that Tesla has had some growing pains and some fit and finish issues, and I trust Ford to have straighter body panels for example. I think the fit and finish of the Mach-E will be a little better IMO.

But the only reason there's a Mach-E is because of Tesla, it's that simple. But Ford has rightly realized the future and is doubling down on the Mustang name. And that also earns points from me.

Lastly I like it more than the Model Y because the Mach-E has character. In part from the Mustang name, but also the styling. It just looks more aggressive and not so uniform like Tesla.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For me, its a mix. I don't NOT trust Tesla, but I don't necessarily trust Ford 100%.

I do believe that Tesla has had some growing pains and some fit and finish issues, and I trust Ford to have straighter body panels for example. I think the fit and finish of the Mach-E will be a little better IMO.

But the only reason there's a Mach-E is because of Tesla, it's that simple. But Ford has rightly realized the future and is doubling down on the Mustang name. And that also earns points from me.

Lastly I like it more than the Model Y because the Mach-E has character. In part from the Mustang name, but also the styling. It just looks more aggressive and not so uniform like Tesla.
Agree on the styling and character. Telsa's still look too much like Prius' for my tastes.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
styling, apple carplay, 2nd in front of steering wheel display, door keypad entry (great if you're a runner that doesn't want to bring keys/cards/phones), drainable frunk, foot sensor rear liftgate, better interior, better build quality, lower price with $7500 fed tax credit, etc. are all reasons i'm leaning towards mustang...

anyone think the paint quality will be better in the mustang, 1) because tesla seems to still be learning how to paint cars consistently, but maybe 2) the mach-e's being built in mexico so maybe their looser environmental restrictions may mean better quality paint?

Bluestang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
That comparison chart is not correct. The actual purchase price of the model Y long range RWD is $52,000. The $48,000 quoted in the chart is Tesla's price after "potential incentives and gas savings". They did not do an apples to apples comparison so it was lazy reporting or bias.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That comparison chart is not correct. The actual purchase price of the model Y long range RWD is $52,000. The $48,000 quoted in the chart is Tesla's price after "potential incentives and gas savings". They did not do an apples to apples comparison so it was lazy reporting or bias.
I just checked it on the website and without incentives/gas savings it shows $48k for long-range RWD and $52k for long-range AWD.

Bluestang50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
I just checked it on the website and without incentives/gas savings it shows $48k for long-range RWD and $52k for long-range AWD.
You are correct. I clicked over to long range AWD assuming the default selection was a standard range like with the model 3.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Ignoring Ford's advantage of $7500 tax credits, the initial price difference between an extended range Mach-E AWD ($58,300) and Model Y LR dual motor ($52,000) narrows really fast once options are added.

If you want a red Model Y with aluminum wheels and a light interior, that $52k initial price balloons to $56,500 vs. red Ford at $58,700.
Sponsored