TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think the charging curve (even on Level 2) really depends on the car. My Outlander tapers down quite low for the last 30 minutes or so of charging. It also drops charging rates to almost nothing at random points during the charging session to do a rebalancing of the battery cells. The car doesn't show charging speed, so the only reason I know this is because I have access to graphs of the charging rate through the ChargePoint app. Is this important info? No, not really. But I still like to see it. I know not everyone will care, but it's worth pointing out.
Isn't that just a small PHEV battery though? I would presume that's got a much smaller power rate than the MME. Although for the MME we're just guessing at this point. I'd be surprised if it ever tapers below 11 kW, but it's possible. We're just gonna have to see when we get them.

Fortunately, even if it does, for most people it will be overnight where time likely doesn't matter.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It already has.
Whew! That’s what I get for reading the forum before the news. Glad to hear that temper tantrum has ended.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Whew! That’s what I get for reading the forum before the news. Glad to hear that temper tantrum has ended.
LOL! You think the temper tantrum has ended! Sure he may have signed it but, much like Dr. Bruce Banner....

There is always a temper tantrum

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Isn't that just a small PHEV battery though? I would presume that's got a much smaller power rate than the MME. Although for the MME we're just guessing at this point. I'd be surprised if it ever tapers below 11 kW, but it's possible. We're just gonna have to see when we get them.

Fortunately, even if it does, for most people it will be overnight where time likely doesn't matter.
Yes, the Outlander battery is only 12 kWh and has a slow 3.3 kW charger. There may not be any curve at all with the MME on Level 2, but we don't know yet. I'm not saying that it will necessarily be important, but just pointing out the functionality for those deciding between a smart and dumb charger.

Here's an example of a typical charging session for my Outlander. Is any of this info important? No, not really, but I'm a data geek so I like to see what's going on.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford 48amp Charger vs other makes? pic

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, the Outlander battery is only 12 kWh and has a slow 3.3 kW charger. There may not be any curve at all with the MME on Level 2, but we don't know yet. I'm not saying that it will necessarily be important, but just pointing out the functionality for those deciding between a smart and dumb charger.

Here's an example of a typical charging session for my Outlander. Is any of this info important? No, not really, but I'm a data geek so I like to see what's going on.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford 48amp Charger vs other makes? pic
Fair enough. I'm the same way. Even if the MME never drops below 11 kW, I very much wish we could SEE the power rate in the car. And I sure hope they fix that from the failure in the preproductions to display it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Fair enough. I'm the same way. Even if the MME never drops below 11 kW, I very much wish we could SEE the power rate in the car. And I sure hope they fix that from the failure in the preproductions to display it.
That’s an advantage to smart EVSEs that provide this sort of data. I don’t know of any way to get such data from my Leaf or my dumb EVSE. Now whether you can get these data from the Ford Connected Charge Station is still an open question.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
That’s an advantage to smart EVSEs that provide this sort of data. I don’t know of any way to get such data from my Leaf or my dumb EVSE. Now whether you can get these data from the Ford Connected Charge Station is still an open question.
I imagine it'll be available in the FordPass App, but ya, who knows. Maybe @OutofSpecKyle has some inside knowledge on this??

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Have you tried LeafSpy or TorquePro? I have not because the Bolt shows the charge speed and my B250 doesn't have OBDII.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Have you tried LeafSpy or TorquePro? I have not because the Bolt shows the charge speed and my B250 doesn't have OBDII.
No but there's no sense in me putting any effort into doing so as I'll be trading in/selling the Leaf when the Mach E arrives.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
My Bolt doesn't. What year?

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
My Bolt doesn't. What year?
The car has to be on. It's the same place that shows you regen. Also it displays net charge going into the battery. Mine is 2020.
Sponsored