Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4X IB , 2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Power Production
Country flag
I got a really good deal on a new Schneider EVlink ev230ws.
Its a hardwired unit that takes a 40 amp 2 pole breaker. So it’s capable of up to 30 amps charging.
This would not have been my first choice, I would rather have the Ford charger or the charge point home flex.
This was a brand new on Craigslist deal and I couldn’t pass it up.
It will be installed today.
Sponsored

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Power Production
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford 48amp Charger vs other makes? 030A1319-2A7C-4F42-8E40-156B8ED77469

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
How is this any better than the EVSE that comes free with the MME?
It has contactors inside. Much more reliable. Much less energy losses. Much less thermal concerns.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
It has contactors inside. Much more reliable. Much less energy losses. Much less thermal concerns.
You're claiming a hardwired EVSE is more reliable and efficient than a plug in? How many watts do you think are being lost? Just curious. For sure a hardwired unit is less portable and more difficult to repair. As for being more reliable in practice this has more to do with the brand and the unit than with the connection.

Unless it's outside the plug-in seems like a winner, especially when it's free. :)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
You're claiming a hardwired EVSE is more reliable and efficient than a plug in? How many watts do you think are being lost? Just curious. For sure a hardwired unit is less portable and more difficult to repair. As for being more reliable in practice this has more to do with the brand and the unit than with the connection.

Unless it's outside the plug-in seems like a winner, especially when it's free. :)
Nope.
Not talking about hardwired vs a plug.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I understand the discussion between getting a smart EVSE vs dumb EVSE, but could someone say what the advantages are to a dumb EVSE vs just using the included cable with a 240 outlet? Is it mostly the ability to likely get a faster charge, depending on the specific specs of the EVSE?

For example, I’m looking at the Siemens Gen 2 VersiCharge and I don’t see what advantage dumb chargers like this have over the included charging cable, particularly if the FordPass app will let you control the charging separate and apart from the EVSE/mobile charger being used.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I understand the discussion between getting a smart EVSE vs dumb EVSE, but could someone say what the advantages are to a dumb EVSE vs just using the included cable with a 240 outlet? Is it mostly the ability to likely get a faster charge, depending on the specific specs of the EVSE?

For example, I’m looking at the Siemens Gen 2 VersiCharge and I don’t see what advantage dumb chargers like this have over the included charging cable, particularly if the FordPass app will let you control the charging separate and apart from the EVSE/mobile charger being used.
The advantage is: You don't have to dig the charger out of the car all the time and plug it in.

Sure you can leave Ford's EVSE plugged in the wall in your house but then you won't have that "emergency charger" in the car available. (You have to decide if having an EVSE with you in the car all the time is worth it. You'll decide it is when you need it that one time!)

That really is the only reason...

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I understand the discussion between getting a smart EVSE vs dumb EVSE, but could someone say what the advantages are to a dumb EVSE vs just using the included cable with a 240 outlet?
For me the advantage is weatherproofing. My car has to charge outside, so a truly waterproof EVSE was needed. My 1 car garage has a tablesaw and some other stuff in it that prevents me from using it as a garage.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The advantage is: You don't have to dig the charger out of the car all the time and plug it in.

Sure you can leave Ford's EVSE plugged in the wall in your house but then you won't have that "emergency charger" in the car available. (You have to decide if having an EVSE with you in the car all the time is worth it. You'll decide it is when you need it that one time!)

Got it thank you. I will likely then buy a second charging cable so I can always have one in the car.

Practically speaking, I think I will likely use the 120v outlet most of the time. That still gives you around 40 miles net overnight, which I think is plenty to cover driving on most days.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
For me the advantage is weatherproofing. My car has to charge outside, so a truly waterproof EVSE was needed. My 1 car garage has a tablesaw and some other stuff in it that prevents me from using it as a garage.
That’s a good point too, I will not be using my garage. Will have to see if I can get some sort of enclosure. We get rain but luckily no snow.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Been there don't that twice with our Leaf (~100 mile range).

OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
My charger will be living outside also on the leeward side from the ocean (1kft away). After measuring I need 25ft of cable to have a easy plug in for how we park.

Going with a Grizzl-E hard wired and may run a second redundant 40 amp circuit inside the basement door to plug the included charger into in emergencies.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Good question. The difference is how they are built inside. The Siemens VersiCharge (and other types like it) do the job with heavy duty and more efficient components inside. The Webasto mobile EVSE and others like it use solid state components primarily to do the same job. These types are cheaper to manufacture and not as efficient. Meaning, they generate more heat. Heat is wasted energy in most scenarios.

For most situations.....the mobile charger will perform just fine. For very warm environments the solid state type could have thermal issues. In those situations they usually step down the amperage to regulate the heat or shut down entirely and wait to cool off.

In my case, I am not able to use our portable EVSEs provided by Ford for our C-Max Energi or Focus Electric during the summer months. I use an Aerovironment RS at home and Siemens VersiCharge at work. Neither are of the smart variety (not connected to a network). I still am able to control the charge schedule from the vehicle, mobile app or website. The Siemens has controls on the unit that easily let's the user pause the charge session or set a delay timer so it has a few more features.

Hope this helps.

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Power Production
Country flag
I got my Schneider in the $200 range brand new.
I couldn’t get a portable plug (back up) for that. At least the little I looked on Amazon. So I had to ?
The hardwire for me is a plus, because I don’t want to have any conduit on the walls of my garage.
I haven’t read much yet about the stock MME charger but, I do know it takes a 14-50 outlet and I plan on using it to charge at work everyday. I’m going to appreciate not having to use the stock MME home/work.
With that 14-50 outlet, the one currently in my garage is being used by my wife’s kiln. No big deal but also it’s about 28 feet away from my garage stall. If I use the 14-50 in my garage then the F-150 is parked outside.
I was going to install a EV charger in my stall either way. It’s just that now I have the Schneider I will intend to use the MME as the full brains of the operation and analytics. To each their own, there is a lot of cool technology out there.
Sponsored