Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country flag
Ford aims to double EV production capacity in two years, Farley says
The automaker’s 600,000-per-year EV global projection is double what it originally intended.

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/ford-aims-double-ev-production-capacity-two-years-farley-says

November 18, 2021 01:03 PM

DETROIT - Within 24 months Ford Motor Co. plans to become the No. 2 maker of electric vehicles in the U.S. behind only Tesla with the capacity to produce 600,000 EVs per year.

The automaker’s 600,000-per-year global EV projection is double what it originally intended, CEO Jim Farley told Automotive News. The production would be spread among its first three EVs: the Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit, and would come before its Blue Oval City campus in Tennessee comes online.

Once that occurs, Farley said Ford could challenge for “The demand is so much higher than we expected,” Farley said in an interview.

This story will be updated.
Advertisement

blazinazn

Reaction score
Vehicles
ER AWD Premium
It honestly seems really feasible and Farley is putting his money where his mouth is with the investments in R&D and manufacturing capacity both of batteries and of vehicles.

Mathington

First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Once Tesla has a competitor that can compete with them on high volume production, it will be interesting to see how they adapt to remain the leader. I have a feeling that Ford is going to sell a TON of F-150 Lightning and it will change the US market for sure.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, Rapid Red 😃🏎
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader
Country flag
Farley's tweet thread about this:
interesting reference to the COVID-19 work they did.

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Reaction score
Vehicles
1978 AMC Gremlin X...
Occupation
sales
Country flag
considering how well reservations are going, it's clear that people want the product.

how much of that demand remains after the incentives are over, will tell the ultimate story.

upping production seems like a no brainer, but try to tell a big corp what they should do. heh.

blazinazn

Reaction score
Vehicles
ER AWD Premium
considering how well reservations are going, it's clear that people want the product.

how much of that demand remains after the incentives are over, will tell the ultimate story.

upping production seems like a no brainer, but try to tell a big corp what they should do. heh.
Hopefully once incentives are over and Ford's massive new facilities and partnerships are in full swing the economies of scale will help bring the prices down

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Reaction score
Vehicles
1978 AMC Gremlin X...
Occupation
sales
Country flag
Hopefully once incentives are over and Ford's massive new facilities and partnerships are in full swing the economies of scale will help bring the prices down
i hope so too.

after T lost the incentives, they dropped prices a bit. now they're raising them to all new levels. so they have the demand.

i can't see ford (much bigger buyer pool) losing demand any time soon.. the Mach e may lose some potential buyers to the lightning.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Hmm - my thinking has shifted in the last year. I now think that car companies that don’t figure out EVs in the next 2-3 years won’t be in business in 10 years as the market tips. I think this will happen because If you miss a product generation you just don’t catch back up. Ford gets this. Not sure other companies do…
Looking at you Stellantis.

Kingbudd

First Name
Budd
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Shelby GT500, 1998 Mistubishi 3000gt VR4
Hmm - my thinking has shifted in the last year. I now think that car companies that don’t figure out EVs in the next 2-3 years won’t be in business in 10 years as the market tips. I think this will happen because If you miss a product generation you just don’t catch back up. Ford gets this. Not sure other companies do…
M

My thinking has also changed in the past year. Although I’m not changing to save the planet, I think the current direction is moving the pedulm to EV. With current gas prices it’s making the EV market more attractive, but I told my wife, I will always have one ICE car. Sure it will be outdated, and gas will be expensive to the point you won’t be able to drive it in 25+ years. Something about the sound, rumble, and feel I will miss coming from a flat crank v8, v10, v12, or even a turbo chargered 4 cylinder (I hate admitting that one). It’s like the part of Gone in 60 Seconds when they play the sounds from Lemans and they can tell what car/engine is heard. With EV you won’t have that. Hell, I hate cars with fake piped in sound to make it sound like something its not. But, the future is EV, embrace it or run scared, but ultimately the transition will eventually happen.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
the Mach e may lose some potential buyers to the lightning.
Only to buyers who either don’t understand their own vehicular needs or that are buying whatever EV they can get their hands on.

Considering how long most owners keep their cars, I think car companies have more time than that but not much. Maybe 5 years.

I will always have one ICE car. Sure it will be outdated, and gas will be expensive to the point you won’t be able to drive it in 25+ years. Something about the sound, rumble, and feel I will miss coming from a flat crank v8, v10, v12, or even a turbo chargered 4 cylinder (I hate admitting that one).
I’ll buy one of those new—fangled horseless carriages but I’ll always have a horse. There’s something about the power of that animal and the way it responds. Those automobiles just don’t have any personality.
;)

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Reaction score
Vehicles
1978 AMC Gremlin X...
Occupation
sales
Country flag
Only to buyers who either don’t understand their own vehicular needs or that are buying whatever EV they can get their hands on.
i disagree with you there. i'm the example of an exception. i cancelled my F150 res as the pricing and options were unclear on the different models.

but i'm okay with a SUV or pick up truck. i doubt i'm the only one.

RickMachE

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium 4X, F-150, Lightning reserved
Country flag
i disagree with you there. i'm the example of an exception. i cancelled my F150 res as the pricing and options were unclear on the different models.

but i'm okay with a SUV or pick up truck. i doubt i'm the only one.
If you cancelled your Lightning reservation because of pricing and options uncertainty, then you didn't understand things when you placed the reservation. And, since it's not binding, and fully refundable, why wouldn't you wait until the time to convert the order (or for previous reservations to convert), where you could clearly see the pricing and options choices?

When the Order Guide comes out, I plan to price out what I'd want to buy, evaluate the tax incentives, and the timing, i.e. when I might get it. Then, I'll decide whether to convert to an order, or get a refund of my $100 reservation fee.

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Reaction score
Vehicles
1978 AMC Gremlin X...
Occupation
sales
Country flag
If you cancelled your Lightning reservation because of pricing and options uncertainty, then you didn't understand things when you placed the reservation. And, since it's not binding, and fully refundable, why wouldn't you wait until the time to convert the order (or for previous reservations to convert), where you could clearly see the pricing and options choices?
the more I saw of pricing and options after the initial vague (and telsa esque) reveal, the less interested i became.

i cancelled my F150 and cybertruck reservations, and reserved a [=0===0=].

Advertisement

Advertisement