First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
i disagree with you there. i'm the example of an exception. i cancelled my F150 res as the pricing and options were unclear on the different models.

but i'm okay with a SUV or pick up truck. i doubt i'm the only one.
Good point. I should have included a caveat on that statement. However, I suspect most folks don't waffle between an F-150 and a Mustang.
Advertisement

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium SB AWD (2021 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
how much of that demand remains after the incentives are over, will tell the ultimate story.
Do you think that Mach-E is priced too high without incentives?
I'm comparing my AWD Premium with my previous car, BMW X3 and they are in the same price range, but MME is faster, has a better tech (X3 didn't support android, didn't have adaptive cruise control, top view on the screen, and many more), and doesn't feel less premium. I would prefer it without any incentives.

The biggest incentive for EVs will be a better (much better) fast-charging infrastructure, so people like me won't hesitate to use their EVs for longer trips.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
With current gas prices it’s making the EV market more attractive, but I told my wife, I will always have one ICE car.
Make sure it is a plug-in Hybrid so you can continue to save when running on electricity or gasoline. And keeping the gas engine running clean will give you some entertainment ( changing oil and other parts).

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Reaction score
Vehicles
1978 AMC Gremlin X...
Occupation
sales
Country flag
no. a premium ER AWD at $55k seems like a fair price, considering what other luxury SUVs sell for.

the incentive, in some cases, allows people go get a better iteration. Premium ER vs Select for example. i think it makes the better models available to people who would otherwise likely get a lower model.

in other cases, the incentives put the base select model at sub-40k, making it available to people who couldn't otherwise afford an EV. Which I think, is the point of the incentives to begin with.

but overall, no, i don't think it's priced too high without incentives.

Whatstreet

Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition, GTPE on order
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
Good point. I should have included a caveat on that statement. However, I suspect most folks don't waffle between an F-150 and a Mustang.
I need both. The F150 might even be the touring car as it will have more range. The long wheel base should help the ride. We shall see...

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning reserved
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I need both. The F150 might even be the touring car as it will have more range. The long wheel base should help the ride. We shall see...
I needed both as well. I have a reservation for the Lightning to replace my 2003 Tacoma.

RickMachE

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium 4X, F-150, Lightning reserved
Country flag
Need - a requirement.
Want - a desire. 🤔

Kingbudd

First Name
Budd
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Shelby GT500, 1998 Mistubishi 3000gt VR4
Make sure it is a plug-in Hybrid so you can continue to save when running on electricity or gasoline. And keeping the gas engine running clean will give you some entertainment ( changing oil and other parts).
No chance, the only requirement is when it was new it was required to pay the “gas guzzler” tax.

yngwenli

Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD
Country flag
I'm comparing my AWD Premium with my previous car, BMW X3 and they are in the same price range, but MME is faster, has a better tech (X3 didn't support android, didn't have adaptive cruise control, top view on the screen, and many more), and doesn't feel less premium. I would prefer it without any incentives.

The biggest incentive for EVs will be a better (much better) fast-charging infrastructure, so people like me won't hesitate to use their EVs for longer trips.

The Fisker Ocean looks on paper, very very strong.
https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/2023-fisker-ocean/

A Fisker Ocean Ultra at $49,999 - $7,500 fed - any state incentives is maybe $40k.

It sports:
Dual Motor AWD
340 mile range
360 surround camera
0-60 in 3.9 secs
250 kW charging I think I saw
Rotating screen (this sounds useful/cool)

Even the Ocean Sport sounds great at $37,449 - $7,500 fed - any state = < $30k makes it like 10k less than a basic MME.
Sport has LFP (supposedly safer).

Concerns are if they can deliver, reliability, service network...and NO FRUNK.

Last edited:

Vulnox

First Name
Derek
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
That's great news. We didn't intend to order the Mach-E, we actually got my wife a used Focus Electric when she started going back into the office because it was just for getting to the office so range and that wasn't a huge concern.

Cold weather set in and she started having some longer drives at times during the week, and was getting a bit range anxious, which I warned her back when we first were looking at the Mach-E or Focus might happen. But the Focus being 1/4th the price of a Mach-E and still having a warranty was too appealing at the time.

Now we have the Mach-E on order, which I am excited for anyway, and the FFE is at least on Carvana worth about $3k more than we paid for it. Hopefully that roughly holds until our MME is built.

I still have my Lightning reserved, as I intended to replace my 2021 PowerBoost F-150 with it once it showed up, but now I am less certain. The F-150 is incredible for road trips, especially with a full vehicle and luggage, and a very tall family all around. About half of our annual trips are to northern Michigan and EV fast charging is... light. So Mach-E or Lightning, we may be facing some issues. I am hoping by the time the Lightning is built we will have had our MME for a bit and get to try one trip up north and feel out the situation. I know charging stations will be expanding rapidly too, so keeping fingers crossed there.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
M

My thinking has also changed in the past year. Although I’m not changing to save the planet, I think the current direction is moving the pedulm to EV. With current gas prices it’s making the EV market more attractive, but I told my wife, I will always have one ICE car. Sure it will be outdated, and gas will be expensive to the point you won’t be able to drive it in 25+ years. Something about the sound, rumble, and feel I will miss coming from a flat crank v8, v10, v12, or even a turbo chargered 4 cylinder (I hate admitting that one). It’s like the part of Gone in 60 Seconds when they play the sounds from Lemans and they can tell what car/engine is heard. With EV you won’t have that. Hell, I hate cars with fake piped in sound to make it sound like something its not. But, the future is EV, embrace it or run scared, but ultimately the transition will eventually happen.
I also felt that the loss of engine noise would be a big deal to me...but I was completely wrong. Once you're in an EV, you realize that ICE engine noise was HURTING your performance. In an EV, you become very aware of the g-forces you feel, with a commensurate improvement on what you're doing to balance the understeer/oversteer equation. Not to mention that eliminating the ICE engine lets you hear what's important...the TIRES squealing/sobbing/skidding/disintegrating. Who the F*#k CARES about engine noise, when you have no torque curve/horsepower matching issues. Over-revving the engine or transmission? EV's have neither. Bottom line for ICE engines..."Sound and Fury, signifying Nothing".

Vulnox

First Name
Derek
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I also felt that the loss of engine noise would be a big deal to me...but I was completely wrong. Once you're in an EV, you realize that ICE engine noise was HURTING your performance. In an EV, you become very aware of the g-forces you feel, with a commensurate improvement on what you're doing to balance the understeer/oversteer equation. Not to mention that eliminating the ICE engine lets you hear what's important...the TIRES squealing/sobbing/skidding/disintegrating. Who the F*#k CARES about engine noise, when you have no torque curve/horsepower matching issues. Over-revving the engine or transmission? EV's have neither. Bottom line for ICE engines..."Sound and Fury, signifying Nothing".
Yeah, the more I learned about vehicles the less engine noise was a factor. I mean, I almost constantly hear trucks rumble by with loud, modified exhausts, ranging from those built in the 90s up through modern trucks, and odds are in a straight line race almost none of them would beat a hybrid F-150, with its quiet 570 lb/ft of torque. All I hear now with loud exhausts are people that are trying to cover up their lack of performance with sound, like a drunk guy yelling about conspiracy theories, just noise but no substance.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate some of them. A 5.0 Mustang sounds great and has performance to match, same with some high end vehicles getting into the 6 figures. The flat plane V8 from the GT 350 is also a great engine note. But it isn't required for me to enjoy the vehicle, and in most cases I am glad to not have it. On a recent road trip a guy with a lifted Chevy truck went by us, and despite our F-150s insane levels of sound insulation, his exhaust drone and knobby tire noise at highway speeds still came through fairly loudly, I can't imagine what it is like for him to have to listen to that for hours on end.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E Select RWD, 12 Explorer, 62 C10
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I needed both as well. I have a reservation for the Lightning to replace my 2003 Tacoma.
Reserved my F150 today, with the tax credit it comes in lower than a Maverick with cruise and AWD. Was thinking about getting a Maverick hybrid to replace the Explorer but now....... Of course if they introduce a Maverick BEV before my F150 gets delivered and since I am so late to the game......

Boselka

First Name
Jason & Travis
Reaction score
Website
pinotsenvy.com
Vehicles
'16 CMaxEnergi|'17 FocusElectric|'21 Mustang MachE
Country flag
Hoping for a BEV Maverick as a second car.
Could not agree more! I don't need anything as big as an F-150 Super Crew. Just need something for all of the Home Depot Runs, and yard work. A BEV Maverick or Ranger would be a perfect next car for our household. Plus since the Maverick is based on the same platform that was used for our Mach-E hopefully this is achievable.

Advertisement

Advertisement