hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Ford Aims to Restart Production at Key North American Plants

The following statement may be attributed to Kumar Galhotra, Ford’s president of North America:

Ford is aiming to restart production at select plants in North America as early as April 6, bringing key plants back online while the company introduces additional safety measures to protect returning workers.

Ford is planning to resume production at Hermosillo Assembly Plant on April 6 on one shift. On April 14, Ford is planning to start building vehicles at Dearborn Truck Plant, Kentucky Truck Plant, Kansas City Assembly Plant’s Transit line and Ohio Assembly Plant.

To support these assembly plants, Ford also is aiming to resume production April 14 at:

• Dearborn Stamping Plant
  • Dearborn Diversified Manufacturing Plant
  • Integrated stamping plants within Kansas City and Kentucky Truck plants
  • Sharonville Transmission Plant
  • Portions of Van Dyke Transmission, Lima Engine and Rawsonville Components plants
We will continue to assess public health conditions as well as supplier readiness and will adjust plans if necessary.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not mention the Mach-E plant, but that facility was not actively making customer vehicles.
Sponsored

SSman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X3
Country flag
I would assume since the Cuautitlan plant isn't making any customer vehicles currently it wouldn't be mentioned until closer to Mach-E production. Hopefully we get word on that soon.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
OP
OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford is aiming to restart production at select plants in North America as early as April 6, bringing key plants back online while the company introduces additional safety measures to protect returning workers.
It's all fluid, so it may get pushed back further. But I like that they're planning for it so they're ready to get back to business ASAP. The quicker the economy can get back to producing (when safe to do so), the better.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Not all US employees. Ford Credit will still be up and running so I'll probably still be working. I can honestly say working from home I've never felt so busy with all this going on. It's nutty.
LOL yup: Working from home you end up working harder longer.. "Oh wait my day was done an hour ago??"

Yeah I'm hearing all the Ford stuff from the other side of the house here... LOL.

MNAce

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Is it fair to say a production delay for Mach E could be a good thing? Giving all that’s going on in the world and how it is disrupting supply chains, I’d rather Ford take time and get the vehicle done right versus working under a compressed schedule. But I’m not an expert in the auto industry or it’s inner workings.

Any thoughts from those of you with more insight?

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Is it fair to say a production delay for Mach E could be a good thing? Giving all that’s going on in the world and how it is disrupting supply chains, I’d rather Ford take time and get the vehicle done right versus working under a compressed schedule. But I’m not an expert in the auto industry or it’s inner workings.

A delay probably wouldn't be a bad thing. I would imagine there are an awful lot of people who have preordered will be financing the car and are worried about their jobs and will have to evaluate their particular circumstances. Those that weren't going to finance will undoubtedly be reassessing also. There might be an awful lot of people thinking about cancelling their order which will hit Ford even more having to repay all of those deposits. I'm waiting until the last minute to see what happens

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

If the virus is causing a production delay, it's probably also causing a prototype testing delay too. So not sure they'll be getting more vehicle testing in. Although I could see it maybe helping the software development/testing. That can easily continue by developers working at home.

Anytime a physical process gets thrown off it's normal smooth path, it's more prone to errors. But hopefully things get back to normal soon enough before production starts that they won't have to scramble too much.

OP
OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I posted this in another thread. From our weekly update meeting yesterday.

Ford is doing everything we can to protect the launches. Technical preparations are going very well. After the first week of shutdown, we're seeing a one day shutdown equals a one day slip in the launch. After the shutdown is over we'll work to claw back those lost days.

My speculation:
I think this means if the Mach-E plant starts back up on or about April 6th along with the other Mexican plants that would be about 2 1/2 weeks of shutdown. Excluding the first week that means we have about a week and a half launch delay immediately after the shutdown ends. Since we have many months until the launch we may be able to claw back most of those lost days. Which means either way we'll still be on target for Q4 deliveries to start.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/coronavirus-impact.572/post-11108

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
tl;dr - delays may affect the timing of $7500 tax incentives.

I'm motivated to take delivery in November or December, 2020. This ensures I get the $7500 tax credit and I'm able to get that back as quickly as I can file my federal tax return in Feb or March 2021.

If the car is delayed by a few months into 2021, then I'm less interested in taking delivery quickly as that means I have to float the $7500 for longer out of pocket all the way into 2022.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I posted this in another thread. From our weekly update meeting yesterday.

Ford is doing everything we can to protect the launches. Technical preparations are going very well. After the first week of shutdown, we're seeing a one day shutdown equals a one day slip in the launch. After the shutdown is over we'll work to claw back those lost days.

My speculation:
I think this means if the Mach-E plant starts back up on or about April 6th along with the other Mexican plants that would be about 2 1/2 weeks of shutdown. Excluding the first week that means we have about a week and a half launch delay immediately after the shutdown ends. Since we have many months until the launch we may be able to claw back most of those lost days. Which means either way we'll still be on target for Q4 deliveries to start.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/coronavirus-impact.572/post-11108
That would be great. Although with April 6 being just 10 days from now, seems like a very optimistic timeframe (that's even a week earlier than the optimistic Easter target). I hope it happens, but my guess is that it probably won't be that soon. But I'm glad they're planning for it just in case.

Fingers crossed that it turns around that quickly.

OP
OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That would be great. Although with April 6 being just 10 days from now, seems like a very optimistic timeframe (that's even a week earlier than the optimistic Easter target). I hope it happens, but my guess is that it probably won't be that soon. But I'm glad they're planning for it just in case.

Fingers crossed that it turns around that quickly.
Yes, but remember the plant is in Mexico not the US. So the UAW and US policy is not as much in play.
Sponsored