Ford and VW have a huge multi-billion dollar stake in ARGO AL-the self driving start-up that has ties to CMU in Pittsburgh

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Self-driving might make sense for commercial vehicles, but it makes little sense for personal vehicle ownership.

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag
Self-driving might make sense for commercial vehicles, but it makes little sense for personal vehicle ownership.
Self-driving might not make sense for everyone, but that doesn't mean it makes sense for no one. I'm one who would look forward to it being an option, at the least.

symos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Esprit
Where is that coming from? Is it some kind of research/report?
Or your own, personal needs?

I, for one (like @kennelh above), know that I would very much welcome self-driving as an option in my car. I'd still like to manually drive, but not all the time.

Obviously, self-driving would first have to prove itself reliable and safe, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about the theoretical need for it in privately owned cars.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 GTPE
Country flag
Iā€™m with @dbsb3233 on this. I think it has more value to commercial fleets than personal users. Iā€™m all for driving aides, but Iā€™m never going to not want to drive my car... never mind use it as a taxi. Gross. I understand other people feel differently, itā€™s just personal opinion... which is why I think itā€™s future is in commercial fleets, not personal vehicles... because the economics of running a business doesnā€™t factor in opinions and personal preferences like we do.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
I have it on my MS (at least in the form itā€™s in now) and the only time I use it is to show someone how it works. The irony to me are the owners that say how great the Teslas handle, but then turn the driving over to the car. Why turn over the task of driving to the computer if you so enjoy driving the car? I donā€™t.

OTOH some see the virtues of self driving in stop & go traffic where tedium sets in. I can see that. However even there the carā€™s self-driving doesnā€™t perform best in that scenario.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 GTPE
Country flag
Very good point on the stop start traffic. I would definitely use FSD in that situation.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Where is that coming from? Is it some kind of research/report?
Or your own, personal needs?

I, for one (like @kennelh above), know that I would very much welcome self-driving as an option in my car. I'd still like to manually drive, but not all the time.

Obviously, self-driving would first have to prove itself reliable and safe, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about the theoretical need for it in privately owned cars.
Just my opinion.

I'm not saying that it should be disallowed. If auto manufactures want to offer it, so be it. I just don't think it's very useful for personal vehicles in general (but that doesn't mean that some wouldn't use it -- there's always some exceptions). I was always puzzled by Tesla's emphasis on it, unless maybe they're using it in their personal cars as a testing ground to perfect it for commercial vehicles, like their planned semi. And/or just for the "cool" factor (rather than the practicality of it).

IMO, the logical application for self-driving is commercial vehicles, to cut down on labor costs. But also to create autonomous taxi services (basically Uber fleets without a driver, owned/operated by companies or transit agencies). Once those become ubiquitous in the future, it will displace large chunks of personal car ownership. In other words, those that want to do their own driving will own a regular vehicle, while those that don't want to do the driving will find it a lot cheaper just to summon an on-demand pod to drive them where they need to go.

It should also spawn the production of cheaper EV shuttle fleets designed specifically for that purpose -- shuttle pods rather than cars, that don't need all the features that we spend money to put in our personal cars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Very good point on the stop start traffic. I would definitely use FSD in that situation.
There is no FSD in any Tesla.