Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
So, does the Mach-E already have steering solenoids, or some auto steering mechanisms installed?
All new Fords have electrical power steering assist, even my 2014 Fusion Hybrid. I did test drives in two Ford cars with Park Assist and the steering wheel moves by itself. So the steering system has the hardware installed since 2013 or earlier.
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
All new Fords have electrical power steering assist, even my 2014 Fusion Hybrid. I did test drives in two Ford cars with Park Assist and the steering wheel moves by itself. So the steering system has the hardware installed since 2013 or earlier.
Many new Ford cars have auto self parallel-parking as my 2017 CMax Energi does.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Many new Ford cars have auto self parallel-parking as my 2017 CMax Energi does.
The Mach-E will parallel park and perpendicular park and back out as well by itself.

From the packaging guide:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Announces 'Hands-Free’ Active Drive Assist With Driver-Facing Camera for Mach-E, Available Next Year with OTA Update Annotation 2020-07-17 221233

Baker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smart EV
Country flag
I don't understand why people are so interested by the hand free driving!!!! I will NEVER let a robot driving my car :mad:. I am OK to get an assistance like "line keeping", "pedestrian alert", warning side car, fatigue detection, etc... but I will not put my life and others people life in the "hands" of a machine, no way.

Baker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smart EV
Country flag
You should compare apple with apple. There is two pilots in the plane and controlers at the airport. It could be a good idea to get controlers on the highway ?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
You should compare apple with apple. There is two pilots in the plane and controlers at the airport. It could be a good idea to get controlers on the highway ?
When the plane is on autopilot the controllers aren't doing anything (the plane may even be out of controlled airspace) and one pilot is in the can while the other is flirting with the cabin crew....

I've watched a lot of Air Disasters I know whats going on up there!! ;)

In all seriousness: Ford's system will keep an eye on the driver: If the driver stops paying attention to the road it will alert them and disengage the system. So you're not "allowing a robot to drive the car" unattended.

Do you use cruise control? Think of this as just a few steps up from cruise control.

Baker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Smart EV
Country flag
The auto-pilot is only when they are in the air. Lift-off and landing is always by the pilots.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The auto-pilot is only when they are in the air. Lift-off and landing is always by the pilots.
Right, and the handsfree is only on limited access highways between entering and exiting the road - so cruise control with lane centering by detecting the lines and other cars. AFAIK they have not mentioned auto lane changing or interchanges. Essentially all they are doing is removing the requirement to have your hand on the wheel to indicate that you're paying attention. It is up you if you want to keep a hand on the wheel

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Modern commercial aircraft can takeoff and land by themselves. Pilots choose not to use that because they do not want to get rusty (and, I'm sure, some don't trust the system either).

Likewise the Mach-E can park and "unpark" itself as well--it just can't get you from the parking lot to the highway (that is the really hard part of autonomous vehicles).

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
You may be surprised that we actually can land aircraft on aircraft carriers hands off to touchdown. I do like the parallel parking feature in my 13 Escape. It is fun to show off and works well. Sometimes too fast but it is easy to tap on the brakes.

Wildthing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I don't understand why people are so interested by the hand free driving!!!! I will NEVER let a robot driving my car :mad:. I am OK to get an assistance like "line keeping", "pedestrian alert", warning side car, fatigue detection, etc... but I will not put my life and others people life in the "hands" of a machine, no way.
What's the point to buy a car that is fun to drive if it's to not drive it? :)

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The fun part is hardly ever a divided highway.
Except for when you're running interference for your truck-driving buddy who has a load of illegal beer he's racing to deliver!
Sponsored