buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Thankfully the hands free auto pilot is not something I was at all interesting in, if I can't look out the side window and enjoy the scenery then not much point to any of it beyond what can already be doing with adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist.

However like others there is an awful lot of missing information as to what you are going to get can not get as far as options. For those in the first Edition & premium camp you have a general idea, but those in the select, route 1, or GT camp all you can guarantee at present is that you will get a car with 4 wheels and some doors :(.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The whole reason i was considering bumping from Select to Premium was to get ADA, without it included I'm starting to think "dinosaur company decides to nickel and dime customers" followed by "where did the Mach-E fail?" 6 months after launch.
It feels like with every announcement I know LESS than I did before...

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
So, does the Mach-E already have steering solenoids, or some auto steering mechanisms installed?
I assume the steering is via electric, and therefore, can be programmed to do what Ford needs it to do, but I didn't read that anywhere.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
That was my original thought. However, upon further thought, it's really not that different than how Mustang coupes are sold. If you buy a Mustang GT, you don't get all the standard equipment that is on an Eco-Boost Premium.
This is where ford USA gets given a demerit from me, but is not unexpected :( the ST / RS in Europe have historically (not always) been based around top trims with the addition of performance. My focus ST is the ST3 trim, but compared to the European ST3 it is a ST 1.5 trim there is that much missing :(, the RS is a little better but once again has features missing..

I can understand the glass roof being an option on the GT as you can argue the performance case for the weight reduction, the same with sportier Recaro or equivalent style seats being option as not everyone likes the tighter fit but the rest should be standard. At the launch they reveal what one has to assume is the GT, it is only later in the media docs do we start seeing the * fine print and mention of a GT performance variant.

For me the lack of information on next years models is where ford needs to step it up a bit., I am sure they are more concerned with getting the first editions out of the door, but if you didn't make a reservation for one of those there are 4 variants to chose from and depending on what the final options and specs are you could end up waiting on the wrong choice based around assumptions.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think Ford is doing a great job nailing the human-machine interface. Rather than placing everything in the big screen off to the side, it looks like they are making great use of the up-front dash display panel. The HMI for the Co-Pilot 360 2.0 providing lots of key information without being overly busy.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Announces 'Hands-Free’ Active Drive Assist With Driver-Facing Camera for Mach-E, Available Next Year with OTA Update ford-mustang-mach-e-active-driver-assist_100749614_l

Last edited:

Raybdc97

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Na
Country flag
Prep pkg better not cost more than like $1500 for Premium. The whole reason i was considering bumping from Select to Premium was to get ADA, without it included I'm starting to think "dinosaur company decides to nickel and dime customers" followed by "where did the Mach-E fail?" 6 months after launch.
It's clear a lot of people are not happy about this, did they not use design thinking when creating the packages to make their users happy? Why is the Cali Rt 1 getting it and not the Premium when the premium includes "the most popular features that people want?" If this is more than $2k option I might honestly drop the whole pre-order or at least bump to a Cali Rt. 1 without options (which would also be a penalty since I wanted the B&O system).
We might want to create a poll to ask preorder people to weigh in on this.
It feels like with every announcement I know LESS than I did before...
Yup, I got to say one of the things that steered me away fro the model Y was what I thought (were told) that Hands free driving would be a free over the air download in the future for those purchasing the Mach E. Unlike Telsa that charges a significant amount. But it now looks as thou it's a paid download??? Not Happy. And it may need the additional purchase of hardware on the Premium??? WTH...
Come on Ford...with the eve of finalizing orders upon us...Let's use plain and clear language (an options pricing chart) to see what we're getting into here!
My best,
Ray

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
This is where ford USA gets given a demerit from me, but is not unexpected :( the ST / RS in Europe have historically (not always) been based around top trims with the addition of performance. My focus ST is the ST3 trim, but compared to the European ST3 it is a ST 1.5 trim there is that much missing :(, the RS is a little better but once again has features missing..

I can understand the glass roof being an option on the GT as you can argue the performance case for the weight reduction, the same with sportier Recaro or equivalent style seats being option as not everyone likes the tighter fit but the rest should be standard. At the launch they reveal what one has to assume is the GT, it is only later in the media docs do we start seeing the * fine print and mention of a GT performance variant.

For me the lack of information on next years models is where ford needs to step it up a bit., I am sure they are more concerned with getting the first editions out of the door, but if you didn't make a reservation for one of those there are 4 variants to chose from and depending on what the final options and specs are you could end up waiting on the wrong choice based around assumptions.
Believe me, I also wants as much as I can get for the same price.
However, I can understand and appreciate that Ford may want to offer the performance of GT / RS models to customers at a lower price than they would be if completely loaded with all the Premium options.
In other words, Ford could offer the GT with all Premium options standard -- but it would be at a higher entry price. Instead, they offer the GT without quite all the Premium features but still the option to build them up for those who do want a GT Premium equivalent.

Having said all that though, Ford still needs the GT to be competitive. I'll consider the cost of adding glass roof, 360 camera hardware, and other features that are standard, for example, on the Model Y performance when I decide if I'll wait for the GT or not.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
This is clearly a similar feature to Tesla's free/included Autopilot, NOT FSD. When the initial spec comparison was published, I was afraid that the Select would require the addition of the 360 cameras/self park to get this, although it wasn't clear based on comments made by execs.
Timbop, you will do fine whatever EV you decide on. From your posts, you are very educated on the various choices AND have an open mind. So many folks get blinders on and only listen to narratives that match their beliefs. Your understanding of AP vs FSD is spot on and gets misunderstood by many. Good luck whatever choice you make :)

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I’m a bit annoyed at this too! At both of the Mach-E events I went to in the UK earlier this year the guys made a huge deal about this tech being available as a free OTA update after delivery sometime in late 2021.

They were even saying “We’re not like Tesla - we won’t charge for it” .... and 4months later here we are!

Forget the functionality aspects of it - it’s just bad PR, and luring in future customers with duff info. That then makes you think - what else did they lie about in the features list that’s going to crop up in the coming days and weeks?

It won’t affect my reservation or desire for the vehicle - but I’m sure there will be other unsuspecting customers who will be upset and they may only find out when it’s too late.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
So - I guess this will be a paid feature, ala Telsa. That stinks. I was at least hoping that reservation holders would possibly get something like this for free, but I guess we'll have to add it as a package when ordering. Definitely curious about pricing...
Yes and No. The only feature listed in the chart that isn't included free in the Tesla autopilot (not Full Self Driving which is the paid option) is the auto park. Looks like Ford might actually be charging for what Tesla includes free now. Tesla's autopilot also does work on ANY street as long as the lines are marked. This includes city streets. Fords looks like pre-mapped streets only.

This feels like they are waling back what they hinted at but didn't outright say. I was hoping my fears of Ford being Ford and nickel and diming was wrong ... but doesn't look like it.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thankfully the hands free auto pilot is not something I was at all interesting in, if I can't look out the side window and enjoy the scenery then not much point to any of it beyond what can already be doing with adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist.

However like others there is an awful lot of missing information as to what you are going to get can not get as far as options. For those in the first Edition & premium camp you have a general idea, but those in the select, route 1, or GT camp all you can guarantee at present is that you will get a car with 4 wheels and some doors :(.
I'm actually really curious how sensitive the "driver monitoring" will be. If it dings at you every time you look out the side window or to your passenger to say something, it would be worse than having to rest my hand on the bottom of the wheel like I have to do with my Model 3. I would hope it has a buffer window where it allows head movement.

I'm also curious of the divided highway thing. Is it really only divided highways? If so, that eliminates a lot of use cases for me. Unfortunately since it won't be out until Q3 2021 at the earliest ... we probably wont know for a while.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yup, I got to say one of the things that steered me away fro the model Y was what I thought (were told) that Hands free driving would be a free over the air download in the future for those purchasing the Mach E. Unlike Telsa that charges a significant amount. But it now looks as thou it's a paid download??? Not Happy. And it may need the additional purchase of hardware on the Premium??? WTH...
Come on Ford...with the eve of finalizing orders upon us...Let's use plain and clear language (an options pricing chart) to see what we're getting into here!
My best,
Ray
Just to be clear ... Tesla's Model Y includes all of the driving features listed here for free (with the exception of the park assist). That's the base model Autopilot that is included for free with all new cars. The part that is extra is the FSD which includes on-ramp to off-ramp navigation, automatic lane changes, park assist, and summon features (plus future dated release of city driving FSD)

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
So here is what was just relayed by Darrin Palmer and team about this topic.

The hands free hardware will be standard on the CA Route1, Premium and First Edition and optional on the rest (sorry no mention of the EU specs).

At the point of sale (online conversion) you as the customer will be fully aware of the of the options and pricing. Most of the cost will be in the upfront hardware purchase if it's not standard on your trim level. The OTA to activate the feature will "not be a huge fee" and will be payable via Ford Pass. Darrin specifically said that pricing has not been determined yet, but will be finalized before ordering starts and hinted that customers will be delighted when comparing the pricing to Tesla.

There was also talk that this will not be the final version / final capabilities of the hands free feature. Capabilities and performance improvements will be coming via OTA updates.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So here is what was just relayed by Darrin Palmer and team about this topic.

The hands free hardware will be standard on the CA Route1, Premium and First Edition and optional on the rest (sorry no mention of the EU specs).

At the point of sale (online conversion) you as the customer will be fully aware of the of the options and pricing. Most of the cost will be in the upfront hardware purchase if it's not standard on your trim level. The OTA to activate the feature will "not be a huge fee" and will be payable via Ford Pass. Darrin specifically said that pricing has not been determined yet, but will be finalized before ordering starts and hinted that customers will be delighted when comparing the pricing to Tesla.

There was also talk that this will not be the final version / final capabilities of the hands free feature. Capabilities and performance improvements will be coming via OTA updates.
Considering this feature set is free in Tesla (minus park assist). I'm not sure how anyone can be "delighted" by paying something in comparison to zero.

Either I'm missing something in the feature set, or Ford doesn't realize exactly what Tesla's feature set is. Most likely they know and just marketing it against Full Self Driving even though they aren't close to the same.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
hinted that customers will be delighted when comparing the pricing to Tesla.
If Tesla autopilot is free, including hardware, on every model and trim level, how would we be delighted to pay? Makes no sense. I think Ford is trying to mix AP and FSD to uneducated consumers.
Sponsored