Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I never called Elon a child. However, he does immature things.

(Yes I know you are replying to someone else, but I feel a need to defend myself since some took my comments personally for some reason.)
Not intended in your direction at all. Musk is a horrible human being, but you still have to give him his due. There's no way in the world there would be a Mach E in 2021 without Tesla; EV's would still be minor compliance cars the established brands would try to avoid selling. If I buy a Tesla over the Mach E it will be IN SPITE of Musk, but I am classy and mature enough to give him his due.

Just like the individual who called out Musk's childish behavior, I felt compelled to call out his. The difference is that I didn't resort to labels
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It is a joke at his expense @timbop, I think he can take it... but good of you to look out for him.
It isn't about Musk. It is unnecessary to degrade this site into a narrow-minded fanboi site like so many others.

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, BMW i3
Country flag
Musk is a horrible human being, but you still have to give him his due.
While we are sharing different opinions, our family thinks highly of Musk. It's ok for us to have different opinions ? Just wanted to voice the other side. Carry on.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Not intended in your direction at all. Musk is a horrible human being, but you still have to give him his due. There's no way in the world there would be a Mach E in 2021 without Tesla; EV's would still be minor compliance cars the established brands would try to avoid selling. If I buy a Tesla over the Mach E it will be IN SPITE of Musk, but I am classy and mature enough to give him his due.

Just like the individual who called out Musk's childish behavior, I felt compelled to call out his. The difference is that I didn't resort to labels
Yeah I made that same point in a different post. No Musk == No Mustang Mach-E.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Country flag
Just like the individual who called out Musk's childish behavior,
So wait... you agreeing that he is childish now?

Anyway, I am in awe of your sanctimony. Keep up the good work.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
While we are sharing different opinions, our family thinks highly of Musk. It's ok for us to have different opinions ? Just wanted to voice the other side. Carry on.
Absolutely you should voice your opinion, and feel comfortable doing so. I worded that more strongly than I should have to make a point, which was probably a mistake. He is clearly a visionary, and god knows we need more of those. Like all visionaries he is both flawed and exceptional. There's a lot to admire about him, but his public behavior has been questionable IMHO.

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
Yeah I made that same point in a different post. No Musk == No Mustang Mach-E.
I am in the same boat if it wasn't for Musk's outside of the box thinking and his Tesla Motors the BEV will not be where it is today. For alternative energy sources their were not many options that were actually viable. For example take the Nissan Leaf, BMW i3, and I think the Chevy Bolt. When they all first came out their was no range on them so no interest for a average Joe who travels to purchase these vehicles as they were mainly focused around in town driving only with like 60 miles of range.

Now Musk created I think the first long range fully electric vehicle that could possibly be used for road trips. I think his first Model S not the Roadster but the Sedan had a range in 2012 of 164 miles I think I could be wrong on range but still was 50 to 60 miles further than any other competitor on the market. As time progressed his technology has improved to where it is now.

Of course fitment quality is still a big issue but as time moves on it is improving. I am sure all legacy companies had same issues when they were first starting out as well. But as for technology his software i think is unmatched but I am sure all legacy companies hardware and software in time will get much better.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So wait... you agreeing that he is childish now?
Not the behavior you listed. You tried to equate his successful businesses with a little boy playing with toys, and his accomplishments are far from that. Success in creating a brand new automotive segment or a manned spaceflight company would be a significant achievement for anyone's lifetime, and he accomplished both concurrently.

His childish behavior I refer to are things like his handling of the Covid-19 crisis, or his periodic odd tweets that resemble drunk texting.

Instead of resulting to schoolyard bully tactics when your arguments are weak, I suggest reevaluating your position - or at the very least work harder on constructing a better counterargument.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I am in the same boat if it wasn't for Musk's outside of the box thinking and his Tesla Motors the BEV will not be where it is today. For alternative energy sources their were not many options that were actually viable. For example take the Nissan Leaf, BMW i3, and I think the Chevy Bolt. When they all first came out their was no range on them so no interest for a average Joe who travels to purchase these vehicles as they were mainly focused around in town driving only with like 60 miles of range.

Now Musk created I think the first long range fully electric vehicle that could possibly be used for road trips. I think his first Model S not the Roadster but the Sedan had a range in 2012 of 164 miles I think I could be wrong on range but still was 50 to 60 miles further than any other competitor on the market. As time progressed his technology has improved to where it is now.

Of course fitment quality is still a big issue but as time moves on it is improving. I am sure all legacy companies had same issues when they were first starting out as well. But as for technology his software i think is unmatched but I am sure all legacy companies hardware and software in time will get much better.
I think more importantly than range, Tesla has made electric cars fun and desirable. I test drove a model 3 LR a couple of weeks ago, and the neck-snapping acceleration brought a huge smile to my face. The fact that a $55k electric car can compete with $200k supercars is impressive, and Tesla should do more to make the mainstream public aware of it.

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Country flag
Instead of resulting to schoolyard bully tactics when your arguments are weak, I suggest reevaluating your position - or at the very least work harder on constructing a better counterargument.
What argument of mine is weak, Tim? I made a joke about Electric Jesus and you’ve jumped to defend his honour. Lol. A JOKE, Tim, seriously, how mich time do you have on your hands? What is the argument I need to work on?

Could you just do me a favour and make a list of things I can and can not say and what tone said things should adopt when being said? So far I’ve got calling him childish is okay if it’s about Covid and drunk tweeting, but not about smoking joints or the naming of his children. I shouldn’t compare him to a toddler or call him Electric Jesus, but if I instead attacked his actual persona and called him horrible human being, so long as I acknowledge his achievements, that’s fine. So in short... “voice your opinion and feel comfortable doing so”, but just not if doesn’t align with your opinion. Am I missing anything?

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
I think more importantly than range, Tesla has made electric cars fun and desirable. I test drove a model 3 LR a couple of weeks ago, and the neck-snapping acceleration brought a huge smile to my face. The fact that a $55k electric car can compete with $200k supercars is impressive, and Tesla should do more to make the mainstream public aware of it.
Yes the instant torque is amazing. If you have the right variation theirs not much out on the market of an ICE vehicle that can compete. I have test drove a Model S 75D i think it was a few years ago and last year I used Turo to rent a Model 3 Standard Range Plus for a road trip. It was an extremely nice vehicle to drive with ease. I use the EAP (now AP) for most of the trip with the on to off ramp AP running was nice only took control a few times so was very pleased with it.

Musk does no advertising what so ever. I think his motto is more like youtubers/twitch/social media is his advertising as that is all free advertisement so why spend money on commercials and advertising when the community will advertise it for free.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
This ... Not just the acceleration but the whole driving dynamics of it. (Model 3 at least) It's just a flat out fun car to drive. Going back to my wifes AWD R/T Charger just feels like boat in comparison. I really hope the Mach-E can nail the dynamics. It's one of those things that is just so hard to explain ... until you drive one.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Yes the instant torque is amazing. If you have the right variation theirs not much out on the market of an ICE vehicle that can compete. I have test drove a Model S 75D i think it was a few years ago and last year I used Turo to rent a Model 3 Standard Range Plus for a road trip. It was an extremely nice vehicle to drive with ease. I use the EAP (now AP) for most of the trip with the on to off ramp AP running was nice only took control a few times so was very pleased with it.

Musk does no advertising what so ever. I think his motto is more like youtubers/twitch/social media is his advertising as that is all free advertisement so why spend money on commercials and advertising when the community will advertise it for free.
He might have to change that in the future, but up until recently demand far out stripped supply. He couldn't make the cars fast enough. I think the Model 3 is catching up but overall there is still more demand than supply (especially on the Y).

So why pay to advertise if you can't produce them fast enough anyways?

s7davis

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Alfa Romeo
Country flag
He might have to change that in the future, but up until recently demand far out stripped supply. He couldn't make the cars fast enough. I think the Model 3 is catching up but overall there is still more demand than supply (especially on the Y).

So why pay to advertise if you can't produce them fast enough anyways?
This is so true and also I think it has to deal with him needed the financials to build more factories as we all know he just paid 5M for land in Austin for the cyber truck and I think semi production so he is still working on getting more factories in place to meet the demands. I think he might need 1 or 2 more at least to help with demands and think he will be set. I’m pretty once that is all done he will start advertising maybe by 2030 lol so 10 years to get more factories then start advertising

edit

Also think the Mach e will be same just a little biggerthan model y and withthe low center of gravity be able to corner andstick to the road a lot easier cause of the battery weight in the floor board keeping the wheels on the pavement

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Replace "Tesla" with "Apple" (regarding touchscreen cell phones) and you've got a pretty good analogy. When you're the first to come out with the hot new mass-market high tech product, you get a lot of loyal fans that line up to get the latest and greatest product. That can last for a while, but eventually the competition catches up.

That's starting to happen to Tesla. Over the next 2-3 years, there's gonna be a at least a dozen BEV models that compete directly in Tesla's segment, chipping away at their early lead. By mid-decade I expect Tesla's #1 spot on the BEV sales charts to be surpassed (and I'm not even counting the China market who will probably do it sooner).

Much is made of Tesla's big lead in autonomy, but I really don't think that most mainstream buyers find that very valuable beyond some basic driver-assist functions. For the rest of the vehicle, Ford and Volvo and others have already nearly caught up.
Sponsored