TheBluf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata
Country flag
Well, I hope this package is standard on the Premium. If it's not, I'm canceling my order and not converting my reservation. I'm seriously considering it now for not including hands free driving in the price in the first place.

EDIT: I'm hoping that whoever wrote this press release is just an idiot. According to the Mach-E Tech Specs on the product page, the Premium comes standard with "Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0" with "Active Park Assist 2.0", which it looks like is the package this is talking about.
Sponsored

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
It also offers Park Out Assist with side-sensing capability so drivers can confidently navigate out of a parking spot when someone’s parked too close.

I'm confused about this Park Out Assist feature. If someone's parked too close, it means I can't even get into the car and so actually backing out of the spot is the least of my concerns. So is this actually something like Tesla's Summon feature?

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Right there with you on possibly not converting my premium order. I've had this fear from the beginning. We were given very little to go on and then everything becomes options that cost a little more here and there. This is the danger of going forever with no information and then a rash of partial information from Ford. I'm holding out hope that when we go to convert everything doesn't become a series of "options", but my faith is quickly waning.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
It also offers Park Out Assist with side-sensing capability so drivers can confidently navigate out of a parking spot when someone’s parked too close.

I'm confused about this Park Out Assist feature. If someone's parked too close, it means I can't even get into the car and so actually backing out of the spot is the least of my concerns. So is this actually something like Tesla's Summon feature?
Sounds more like smaht pahk.

Last edited:

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
According to the article, the only required hardware is a forward-facing camera. That SHOULDN'T be a lot of money added to the cost of the car. However, it also notes that Ford's system doesn't have some features that Tesla does. Notably, the ability to stop at stoplights/signs and the ability to handle on/off ramps. So, if Ford announces that they're working on adding those features in the future, I'm in. Otherwise, autopilot will only be good for limited highway driving and probably not worth the purchase.
So, does the Mach-E already have steering solenoids, or some auto steering mechanisms installed?

TheBluf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata
Country flag
Now I'm going back and watching the videos earlier in this thread. At about 8 minutes, it's mentioned that the prep package is standard on mid-to-high trims of the Mach-E:

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
For what it's worth Ford just tweeted about this. The phrasing seems to imply that it's a feature being added of Co-Pilot 360 rather than a standalone thing. Either way, not great messaging from them.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Maybe not the GT, either. It's likely the prep package includes the 360 camera not listed as standard for the Select or GT.
Yeah I'm surprised how much stuff the GT doesn't come with actually. The 360, the glass roof, etc.

This feature is a huge plus though:
Another improvement: The stop-and-go adaptive cruise control will remain active for 30 seconds after coming to a stop, instead of requiring driver reactivation after three seconds of stoppage.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is clearly a similar feature to Tesla's free/included Autopilot, NOT FSD. When the initial spec comparison was published, I was afraid that the Select would require the addition of the 360 cameras/self park to get this, although it wasn't clear based on comments made by execs. Well, now I know I'll have to pay extra for those features as well as the software next year. It is also clear that we heard what we wanted to hear when Palmer said is would be available to all Mach E versions in a later software update - that is, we assumed it was included free.

I really wanted to like the Mach E despite it being a CUV (I prefer small cars), I recognize the importance of viable competitors to Tesla, and I really think someone needs to knock Musk down a peg. But, as time goes by it becomes clear that the Select Mach E is not the right car for me. Since Ford still hasn't published prices, I won't know how much it will actually cost me but by the time I add heated memory seats, the 360 prep package, and the autopilot software it will be at least $50k. For $38k I can get a model 3 with better efficiency, much cheaper on-the-road charging, a well established and tested autopilot, no dealer gamesmanship, and tons of actual information from owners and reviewers. That information tells me the good and the bad, so I know what to expect and what to watch out for. Even with the federal rebate of $7500 (which I'll have to wait more than a year to get back if I get my car in Q1), the Mach E with so many unknowns is still going to be somewhere around $5000 more expensive. That $5000 is a guess, because I won't even know how much the final costs or lease payments will be until the end of this year.

I'll wait until next week to see what hard information is available (including the prep package and heated seats), but I seriously doubt I will convert my reservation. I may still buy the Mach E sometime next year, but it is frankly unlikely.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yeah I'm surprised how much stuff the GT doesn't come with actually. The 360, the glass roof, etc.
The base GT looks to be a stripped down Select with the performance motors. I think what many of us are wanting is a Premium-loaded car with the GT motors and maybe Magneride. The real question is, what's that gonna cost me?

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
That was my original thought. However, upon further thought, it's really not that different than how Mustang coupes are sold. If you buy a Mustang GT, you don't get all the standard equipment that is on an Eco-Boost Premium.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
I am confused too, I am a Premium reservation holder, thinking that at that trim level, I would get a lot of bells and whistles...but this being their first launch, I knew that this sort of information and options would trickle in...at least Ford is trying to be upfront about cost changes, unlike Tesla who completely flipped things on Y reservation holders...

I also though that copilot driver assist would be a free OTA update - I thought I heard that in some of the videos in the Feb/March time frame...
Sponsored