Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Has anyone driven the new "Lane Centering" from Ford on a highway? I know we have had back and forth about the comparisons of that and Tesla Autopilot, and frankly the Lane Centering was better than I thought it was going to be (in spec). One thing I did notice this week on my Tesla is the base Autopilot actually handles on/off ramps intelligently. This is without Full Self Driving, just the included Autopilot.

What I mean by Intelligent is it will adjust the speed accordingly. So for instance, there is a 65 MPH West Bound Highway that has a 270 Degree corkscrew ramp that connects to a southbound 60 mph highway. If I'm in the correct lane and have auto pilot set at 70 mph, it will adjust the speed gently. As I approach the ramp, it kicks it down to 55, then it will shortly after kick it down to 50, then right before the turn starts, it drops to 45, then as it approaches the sharp part of the turn it drops to 35, then as it comes out of the turn it goes, 45, then 55, then 65 (i have it set to 5+ mph of speed limit). It does this all while taking the corkscrew dead center in the lane. Other ramps do the same thing even though, that is the most pronounced example of it.

Has anyone tried something like this with Ford Lane Centering? It would be cool if it was capable of it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Has anyone driven the new "Lane Centering" from Ford on a highway? I know we have had back and forth about the comparisons of that and Tesla Autopilot, and frankly the Lane Centering was better than I thought it was going to be (in spec). One thing I did notice this week on my Tesla is the base Autopilot actually handles on/off ramps intelligently. This is without Full Self Driving, just the included Autopilot.

What I mean by Intelligent is it will adjust the speed accordingly. So for instance, there is a 65 MPH West Bound Highway that has a 270 Degree corkscrew ramp that connects to a southbound 60 mph highway. If I'm in the correct lane and have auto pilot set at 70 mph, it will adjust the speed gently. As I approach the ramp, it kicks it down to 55, then it will shortly after kick it down to 50, then right before the turn starts, it drops to 45, then as it approaches the sharp part of the turn it drops to 35, then as it comes out of the turn it goes, 45, then 55, then 65 (i have it set to 5+ mph of speed limit). It does this all while taking the corkscrew dead center in the lane. Other ramps do the same thing even though, that is the most pronounced example of it.

Has anyone tried something like this with Ford Lane Centering? It would be cool if it was capable of it.
Well, we know it has speed limit sign recognition, so it might be a bit more abrupt than that.

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
Sorry if this has been asked but any chance the Mache will have features like summon or be able to move the car around with your phone? I know most of that stuff isn’t very useful but it is good for party tricks. Eventually summons will be useful but so far it looks stressful.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Mach-E with active park assist (if equipped) will be able to park and unpark, both parallel and perpendicular, while the driver holds a button inside the car. I don't have any expectation of them expanding this to party trick maneuvers.

Speaking of which, I just checked the Tesla M3 manual to see where they're at with Summon. I am disappointed to learn that their settings allow for the requirement to continuously hold a button during summon to be disabled. This is reckless.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Mach-E with active park assist (if equipped) will be able to park and unpark, both parallel and perpendicular, while the driver holds a button inside the car.
I hope it can do it via the app as well. That could definitely be handy,

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I loved that commercial. But seriously, if the space is too narrow to properly open the door, then keep looking for a different spot. I doubt the adjacent cars have Smaht Pahk.
Or sliding doors....

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
I directed this party trick in 2015. Self parking has been around for some time.

Edit: 2016!

Last edited:

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I did came across this article this morning and it is very interesting, I didn't new that there was an
UN committe regarding rulings across the planet about automobile and more specifically autonomous driving. But it seems that the Mach-E is ready for it. ;)

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvell...boite-noire-reglement-onu-asie-afrique-europe

here's a Google translation of it

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ford Announces 'Hands-Free’ Active Drive Assist With Driver-Facing Camera for Mach-E, Available Next Year with OTA Update 20200709_124253

More than fifty countries, including Japan, South Korea and members of the European Union , adopted this week at the UN a binding regulation on autonomous cars, including a mandatory black box.

This regulation on “automated lane keeping systems” (ALKS) will come into force in 2021.

It was adopted by the World Forum for the Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations of the Economic Commission for United Nations Europe (UNECE), which brings together 53 states, in Europe, but also in Asia and Africa.

This binding international standard […] marks an important step towards a wider deployment of autonomous vehicles, "UNECE said in a statement on Thursday.

Japan - which co-chaired the drafting of the regulations with Germany - will apply the regulations as soon as it comes into force.

The European Commission, which has also contributed to its development alongside France, the Netherlands and Canada in particular, announced that the regulation would apply in the European Union at a later date, without however specifying it, a indicated the UNECE

The United States is not part of the World Forum, but its car manufacturers will have to follow the new regulations to sell their vehicles to countries like Japan.

Strict requirements

The regulations establish strict requirements for these ALKS systems which can control the vehicle when the driver is behind the wheel and has his seat belt fastened.

The regulation also provides that these systems are activated only on roads where cyclists, pedestrians and pedestrians are prohibited and which are equipped with a physical separation between the two directions of traffic. It also sets the operating limit for these systems to a maximum of 60 km / h.(37 mi/h)

The regulations also require that screens used for activities other than driving (Internet, video, entertainment, etc.) be automatically disconnected as soon as putting your hand back on the wheel is necessary.

It also provides for the obligation to introduce systems for recognizing the availability of drivers: these systems control both the presence of the driver (in the driver's seat, seat belt fastened) and their availability to regain control of the vehicle.

This availability is measured thanks to several elements such as a request to activate the takeover of the vehicle by the person behind the wheel, blinking or closing of the eyes and conscious movement of the head or body.

The regulation also introduces the obligation to equip the vehicle with a black box, called “data storage system for automated driving”.

ALKS systems will also need to comply with the cybersecurity and software update requirements set out in two other new UN regulations also adopted this week

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
The regulation also provides that these systems are activated only on roads where cyclists, pedestrians and pedestrians are prohibited and which are equipped with a physical separation between the two directions of traffic. It also sets the operating limit for these systems to a maximum of 60 km / h.(37 mi/h)
That paragraph makes no sense (for the USA at least). Pedestrians and cyclists are allowed on pretty much all roads _except_ high speed roads (e.g., interstate highways), but the regulation says that the system can't activate at speeds higher than 37 MPH (city / neighborhood speed limits) ????

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That paragraph makes no sense (for the USA at least). Pedestrians and cyclists are allowed on pretty much all roads _except_ high speed roads (e.g., interstate highways), but the regulation says that the system can't activate at speeds higher than 37 MPH (city / neighborhood speed limits) ????
I'm only reporting the article. It may simply means that autonomous driving will be aloud only on highway and/or boulevard?

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Maybe a translation issue in there somewhere?

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've check and the translation is ok! Also the speed limit stated of 60km/h or 37 mi/h would fit better for a city boulevard which could be around 50 km/h or 30 mi/h but certainly not for highway driving,

clhodapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata
I believe that what they have tried to do with these road and speed restrictions is to (specifically) legalize Audi's "Traffic Jam Pilot", which is intended to allow the driver to take their attention off of the road while they are stuck in stop and go traffic on controlled-access highways. This is a level three system that Audi developed but had to scrap the initial launch plans for due to many governments dragging their feet on deciding what the rules around these sorts of systems should be. I would imagine that this is the (bureaucracy-slowed) result of a lot of back-channel pressure from VW.

Last edited:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
EXACTLY!!!! Rules created by committee...
Sponsored