mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR; Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag
Clearly Ford is trying their hardest to deliver any vehicles they can in 2020. It sounds like they just can't quite get them to Europe in time for 2020 but they can get some to the US with shorter shipping times. It looks like they are making the best lemonade they can.

Percentages didn't change but Ford execs announced the plan was a simultaneous delivery start in US and Europe. That probably meant the first ones would go to Europe as shipping takes longer. It sounds like Ford is now changing their tactic to get first deliveries in 2020 the only way they can.

This should also increase the odds that FE buyers will test drive their own cars.
It's still potentially consistent with the reports we have heard of a 2 month delay - original deliveries of FE planned for October may now be in December. Thinking in my case, with a reservation for a Premium SR AWD at 16xxx, I was probably looking at a November delivery that is very possibly now bumped to January.
Sponsored

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I don't see why the trains from Mexico to the US are faster than the trains from Mexico to the EU; it's probably Ford's fault...

</sarcasm>
I think the issue is that they are driving the vehicles to the dealers and, for some reason, the charging network stops at the eastern seaboard.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
  1. cargo ships are slow
  2. cargo ships are very big
  3. overseas transport encounters lots of red tape
  4. trucks and trains are faster than cargo ships
  5. cars made in mexico in early december can make it overland to the US in small batches if necessary

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Now now chaps, no need to get bitchy. It is what it is. Look at it this way, if those of you in the US get yours before we do on this side of the pond then you can 1. wax lyrical about how good the car is and tell us what to expect and 2. iron out the initial snags se we get perfect cars. Thanks guys

SJ_Okay

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD ER Mach-E
Occupation
Film and Music Producer
Country flag
Speculate away my good man... speculate away. It's not like we've heard it from the horses mouth or anything like that.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's still potentially consistent with the reports we have heard of a 2 month delay - original deliveries of FE planned for October may now be in December. Thinking in my case, with a reservation for a Premium SR AWD at 16xxx, I was probably looking at a November delivery that is very possibly now bumped to January.
Agree about it being consistent with a (roughly) 2-month production delay. Where it appears there may be more shifting is in delivery. While there were some conflicting reports, it sounded like the earliest production units were targeted for ships to Europe (in order to offset the longer transport times). So that delivery would be nearly simultaneous between Europe and the US/Canada. Now it sounds like they're scrapping the front-loading of Europe and shipping to dealers in a more normal order. Meaning they'll show up in the US (and maybe Canada?) before Europe.

FWIW, I'm not so sure a 16xxx reservation number was going to get delivery in Nov (or even Dec) in the first place. I'd have guessed closer to Jan-Feb.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
  1. cargo ships are slow
  2. cargo ships are very big
  3. overseas transport encounters lots of red tape
  4. trucks and trains are faster than cargo ships
  5. cars made in mexico in early december can make it overland to the US in small batches if necessary
It would be interesting to see more on the logistics on transatlantic shipping of autos. I saw one documentary a few months ago about one of the big auto transport ships (8500 cars). I can only imagine how the whole process gets thrown out of whack with delays like this.

The ships surely continue to run on schedule whether Ford misses their slot for 1000 MMEs or not. And once you miss your slot, it could be many weeks (even months) before you get another one. I wouldn't doubt that's part of why Ford threw in the towel on any chance of 2020 arrivals in Europe. It's not like you can just book a ticket for the next day if you miss your slot.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The ships surely continue to run on schedule whether Ford misses their slot for 1000 MMEs or not. And once you miss your slot, it could be many weeks (even months) before you get another one. I wouldn't doubt that's part of why Ford threw in the towel on any chance of 2020 arrivals in Europe. It's not like you can just book a ticket for the next day if you miss your slot.
Eloquently stated. I was being a smacked ass because, well, I am. I love watching shows like that too, and there is a tremendous amount of choreography involved with scheduling large ships into and out of busy ports. The coordination involved must be an absolute nightmare.

mattsaradan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD SR; Fusion Energi Platinum
Country flag
Agree about it being consistent with a (roughly) 2-month production delay. Where it appears there may be more shifting is in delivery. While there were some conflicting reports, it sounded like the earliest production units were targeted for ships to Europe (in order to offset the longer transport times). So that delivery would be nearly simultaneous between Europe and the US/Canada. Now it sounds like they're scrapping the front-loading of Europe and shipping to dealers in a more normal order. Meaning they'll show up in the US (and maybe Canada?) before Europe.

FWIW, I'm not so sure a 16xxx reservation number was going to get delivery in Nov (or even Dec) in the first place. I'd have guessed closer to Jan-Feb.
Yeah. Perhaps - it does appear the reservation numbers are not entirely in sequence; time stamp is 11/23 so I would have guessed my order would be early in Premium production. At any event, it will be when it will be.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
It would be interesting to see more on the logistics on transatlantic shipping of autos. I saw one documentary a few months ago about one of the big auto transport ships (8500 cars). I can only imagine how the whole process gets thrown out of whack with delays like this.

They could always make 8000 or so then hire their own ship. Wouldn't have to worry about schedules then.
Sponsored